Are People Here Still Using The Same Lancet More Than Once?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I know that some time ago we had this discussion, but are people on here still using the same Lancet more than once? Only I took my BG and had a higher number than usual, I took it again and the same thing. I had used my Lancet 3 times beforehand as many on here said that they always use the Lancet more than once. I usually only use once then throw away, except on this occasion. Puzzled by my higher reading I took the Lancet out and actually could see blood on it. I changed the Lancet for a new one and took my BG again twice and the result was much lower, more like my normal readings. This tells me that using the same Lancet can give false readings as my instruction book tells me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This tells me that using the same Lancet can give false readings as my instruction book tells me.
Nope, it doesn't. It only tells you you had different readings before and after changing the lancet. Could have been a glitch in your meter, something on your finger, a faulty test strip or to do with your lancet.
But nothing wrong with changing your lancet every time :)

D

Deleted member 308541

I dial in a new multiclix lancet with each new tub of strips.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Single use lancets.
Single use needles.
Both in "Cin-Bin" for disposal.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
Yes, I'm sure that frequent changes of lancet are unnecessary. The lancet holder is often a flimsy device and would't tolerate too many dismantlings. I probably change my lancet ~3 monthly. I've never had any hint of a septic sampling.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When i open a new pot of strips. If I remember. And I can find one easily. And the moon is in its final quarter.

Reactions: Dodo and OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just changed mine as prompted by this thread... partly because I have no idea when I put the last one in but reckon it might have been January... 2018 at least!

Reactions: Dodo

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Nope, it doesn't. It only tells you you had different readings before and after changing the lancet. Could have been a glitch in your meter, something on your finger, a faulty test strip or to do with your lancet.
But nothing wrong with changing your lancet every time :)
I did each test twice, twice with the needle that had blood on and twice with a new Lancet. I used two strips with the blood on same high reading, and two strips with a new needle and both of those were what my normal reading are. I also tested my meter and it was fine. Also for the rest of the day blood reading has been ok, but I have been changing my Lancet every time. If there is blood on the needle that needle would be contaminated.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did each test twice, twice with the needle that had blood on and twice with a new Lancet. I used two strips with the blood on same high reading, and two strips with a new needle and both of those were what my normal reading are. I also tested my meter and it was fine. Also for the rest of the day blood reading has been ok, but I have been changing my Lancet every time. If there is blood on the needle that needle would be contaminated.
I'm still happy the scientists that work out our treatments take more than 2 tests to prove something. But honestly, using a new lancet is perfectly fine, and almost certainly smarter than re-using them.

D

Deleted member 308541

But honestly, using a new lancet is perfectly fine, and almost certainly smarter than re-using them.
The Accu-Chek lancets are cheap enough to buy, I am just to lazy to change them daily, one lancet change per week suits me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
When i open a new pot of strips. If I remember. And I can find one easily. And the moon is in its final quarter.
Nice, I'm a moon in its first quarter, myself.

Yes, I'm sure that frequent changes of lancet are unnecessary. The lancet holder is often a flimsy device and would't tolerate too many dismantlings. I probably change my lancet ~3 monthly. I've never had any hint of a septic sampling.
Lancet holder? My fingers are my lancet holder and they're pretty sturdy. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a topic that pops up now and again - there's been several such discussions since I joined the forum .

I've still doing as I've done for the last 4 and a half years, and reuse mine until they get blunt. I may get an occasional unexpected reading but I've never had cause to blame a mucky lancet. I use a Fastclix and am only about half way through the pack of 200 little 6 needle drums that I bought with my original meter.

But it's an individual choice - so do what you feel happiest/safest with, and not necessarily what others might be doing.

Robbity