Glasgow Airport

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last week I flew from Glasgow Airport. I went through the metal detector and was directed to go through the body scanner. I said I couldn't because of my insulin pump. I was told I'd already come through the one I wasn't supposed to and the body scanner was the safe one. I told her the opposite was true and I couldn't go through it.

She called the supervisor who asked me to remove my sandals and gave me plastic "bootees" to wear. She put my sandals through x-Ray. She then said I would have to go through a personal search and took me to a private room with another member of staff. She told me to read and sign a form which told me I may be asked to remove some clothing and help them carry out the search by for example lifting a breast.

This was quite intimidating. I wondered if they would bring out rubber gloves!

The supervisor asked if this was all right, to which I replied, "It'll have to be."

The other lady asked me to stand with arms out to the side and used a "wand" and her hand to do the search. I was not asked to remove any clothing or help the search, other than standing with one foot in front of the other.

Nothing was done that couldn't have been done in public, as in previous years, but I felt angry. Obviously I hid this anger, as they could easily have made it a much more intimate search.

When I came out of the room, my husband had collected my hand luggage which had been searched and everything in my liquids bag was checked and tested. He didn't have my sandals, so I went over to X-Ray to get them. They couldn't find them! I was raging and imagined having to walk through duty free in my blue bootees! Eventually I was handed my sandals and we went on our way.

So if anyone else with a pump is flying from Glasgow, be prepared!

Reactions: gemma_T1 and dbr10

Deanc883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gatwick Airport.
I went through metal detector, then explained I couldn’t go through body scanner.
I had to wait for supervisor, he repeatedly told me it was safe to go through scanner as it only detected moisture. My pump manufacturer said don’t use scanner so I waited again to be taken to a private room for a personal search.
Whole procedure took nearly 15 minutes.
Compared to Glasgow, Gatwick was a good experience.

Reactions: dancer

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At Vegas I was told to remove my boot (which I was wearing due to a recent episode of charcots and should not have risked walking without at least the correct insole to support what is left of the shape of my foot) and made to walk barefoot to a private room where I was stripped to my underwear.. though on two previous occasions I had been let through with them simply swabbing the pump as they do from UK to france (I wonder if this will change if/when brexit happens..). I think it depends on who is on at the time and how bad a day they are having. I remember the first year I got my pump (12 years ago when they were certainly nowhere near as common) flying back from Florida not sure what to expect as they didn't have a clue on the way out, I was very pleasantly surprised for the security guy to show me his own pump and let me through without a second glance!

Reactions: dancer and porl69

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last week I flew from Glasgow Airport. I went through the metal detector and was directed to go through the body scanner. I said I couldn't because of my insulin pump. I was told I'd already come through the one I wasn't supposed to and the body scanner was the safe one. I told her the opposite was true and I couldn't go through it.

She called the supervisor who asked me to remove my sandals and gave me plastic "bootees" to wear. She put my sandals through x-Ray. She then said I would have to go through a personal search and took me to a private room with another member of staff. She told me to read and sign a form which told me I may be asked to remove some clothing and help them carry out the search by for example lifting a breast.

This was quite intimidating. I wondered if they would bring out rubber gloves!

The supervisor asked if this was all right, to which I replied, "It'll have to be."

The other lady asked me to stand with arms out to the side and used a "wand" and her hand to do the search. I was not asked to remove any clothing or help the search, other than standing with one foot in front of the other.

Nothing was done that couldn't have been done in public, as in previous years, but I felt angry. Obviously I hid this anger, as they could easily have made it a much more intimate search.

When I came out of the room, my husband had collected my hand luggage which had been searched and everything in my liquids bag was checked and tested. He didn't have my sandals, so I went over to X-Ray to get them. They couldn't find them! I was raging and imagined having to walk through duty free in my blue bootees! Eventually I was handed my sandals and we went on our way.

So if anyone else with a pump is flying from Glasgow, be prepared!

Thanks for the info. I’m flying back from there in Aug & have a pump

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
No one has mentioned whether they had a letter from their doctor stating that pump was not to be removed and not to go through scanner as this would invalidate the warranty on the pump. " Removal of this pump from the wearer may prove lethal".
I have questioned them on one occasion on an interstate flight here in OZ, would they like to pay AUD 11,000 for a new pump ?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No one has mentioned whether they had a letter from their doctor stating that pump was not to be removed and not to go through scanner as this would invalidate the warranty on the pump. " Removal of this pump from the wearer may prove lethal".
I have questioned them on one occasion on an interstate flight here in OZ, would they like to pay AUD 11,000 for a new pump ?

I was asked if I had a doctor's letter saying I couldn't go through the full body scan. When I said I did, the supervisor asked if I could remove the pump but before I could answer, she seemed to change her mind and said I had to have a personal search.