accu check aviva expert

Mini-Mimi

hi,
anyone got one of these meters yet, how are you finding it, is it worthwhile me changing over.
i'm getting one next wednesday for my daughter and am hoping it'll make things easier. :D

Hazza

We were using one untill recently and they are great. They do more than just test BG levels as you can programme them with carb ratios and it will then work out how much to bolus and correct for any high or low levels. Simply do a test and then enter the amount of carbs for the meal or snack and it will do the rest for you, brilliant.
If you are not on a pump then these meters are worth their weight in gold.

Harry

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi There

We were given one of these by our DSN before the she left her position today. She advised me also to order the Smarpix which I have done and received but have yet to do anything with the meter yet. She did arrange for me to have someone to show me how it works today but was unable to attend. It is interesting to read what Harry said about it. Hopefully when we have got to grips a bit better with the regime, we will try it.

From what I gather the smartpix is to enable us to log the data on and take with us to our clinic appointments :!:

Were you advised to have one of these by your DSN :?:

Mini-Mimi

our DSN rang up tonight and said we can have one and are going on wednesday to be shown how it all works, it sounds very promising :D

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it just me then who is not allowed an Aviva monitor? I was given one on diagnosis 4 years ago and then without consultation given a caresens monitor :(

Hazza

We also have a smartpix but it is used to download the meter info onto your computer so that you can recognise trends in your levels. It can be a bit complicated to understand the results at first but as you use it more it gets easier. You can then print off the results and take them to your GP or hospital visits, although the hospital will probably have there own smartpix, at least ours does.
With the meter you input the information directly. You can set up 4 timescales with different Insulin to Carb ratios and the meter will use these to advise a bolus for thet time (obviously the time needs to be set correctly on the meter first :) ) We use a different ratio for breakfast dinner and tea and this suits us very well. They took it off us when we went onto the pump but the combo meter is even better so not complaining.
Let us know how you get on with it, I'm sure you will like it.

Harry

Mini-Mimi

well we got the new meter yesterday so today is the 1st day of using it, it looks easy enough to use, i'll let you know how we get on :)

sugar2

I love mine too! The Smartpix I can take or leave though...it is fine,and I proudly printed off my results for my clinic appointment, but the consultant wasn't really interested in them. I do love the wizard though. I have a pump, and it talks toteh pump...so calculates things like how much active insulin you have in your system, when advising how much bolus to give.

Like all things though, you really have to use it properly..put rubbish in, you get rubbish out!

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Those of you who have one of these testers, were you instructed how to use through your DSN or did you master yourself, cos as you can guess got a bit confused :? with it this morning. Took the test strip out and switched off without thinking before we had a chance to enter the data, so am going to give it a go when James comes home from school to do another BG test.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi we were given ours on the choice course we attended and the rep was there on both days and talked us through how to use it came with us at dinner time and helped anyone who needed it and returned the next day to see if anyone had any questions.

its a great bit of kit we loved ours now we have the pump its abit obsolete but if u dont have a pump it helped improve our results no end

anna marie

sophsmam

We had a 3 hour training session which should have been 2 hours but a lady couldn't get the hang of it.We got ours free but now if anyone wants one it is £150 and they'll £50 towards one.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
sophsmam said:
We had a 3 hour training session which should have been 2 hours but a lady couldn't get the hang of it.We got ours free but now if anyone wants one it is £150 and they'll £50 towards one.

I just can't get the hang of it, will take it with me on my next visit to clinic and hopefully someone can sort me out :(