Is KFC ok to eat?

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
Hi

Yesterday I found myself at a 'fun park' here in Bangkok with my kids for their cousins birthday party.

Walking around in the heat and hungry from not eating much (still trying to suss what's good and not good to eat) I tried to find something to satisfy my hunger. Being Thailand almost everything is deep fried! (When there's not a proper restaurant to eat in) Eventually I found a KFC and was hit with a dilemma should I or shouldn't I eat there.

Having no real choice I ordered a three piece chicken + salad. At a loss I just scrapped off the chicken skin and the tasty covering it comes with.

My question is: Would it be ok from time to time to eat KFC chicken.

Thanks

Mick

p.s. Sorry, but I'm not interested in the PETA angle, thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
KFC or Macdonald's is fine as long as you watch the carbs. Fat won't affect your BG. So be careful with baked beans ( full of sugar). buns and fries ( full of starch) Noodles also need watching. Meat, fish and veggies are ok for Bg even if fried. The crispy coating on KFC is made from flour, so you were probably right not to eat it.

Nellie

Actually the carbs are not that high in KFC, according to my carb book, 2 pieces have about 14 carbs. Personally I find that the fat content is the bad thing, 2 pieces 23gms.

Until recently a high percentage of the fats in KFC has been transfats, legislation/pressure in the US and some parts of Europe including the UK has lead to a change to using healthier cooking oils ( only in the last year) but I don't know if they have done that in Bangkok as oil is sourced locally!

I tried to find the answer, couldn't find it but did find this quote from the Scotsman in 2007

At KFC, a large chicken and fries meal in Hungary contained 74g of fat, of which 32 per cent was trans fats. In Glasgow, the same meal was just under 50g of fat and 5 per cent trans fats and in Aberdeen it was around 45g and 2 per cent trans fats.

The lowest fat content was found in London at just over 40g, but it had 9 per cent trans fats
http://news.scotsman.com/mcdonaldsfastfood/Same-chain-same-meal-different.3279353.jp

ally5555

If you go on any of the fast food websites then you will find nutriton info - I know that the chicken is coated in a mix of flour, breadcrumbs etc - hidden recipe! and is about 7 g Carbs per portion of chicken. Must admit i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole disgusting stuff!

One to wary of are the coffee shop chains some of their coffees are exteremly high in carbs and calories!

Dannii

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg i LOVE KFC chicken popcorn maybe if i just order the chicken popcorn and not the meal so im not eating any fatty chips also love mcdonalds hamburgers n mc chicken sandwich(no mayo) so i dont think ill stop eating them so will just order them on there own next time with no chips that would be ok and instead have one of those kiddy fruit bags - i dont eat them too often maybe once a month or so that isnt so bad is it? :?

Dannii

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That chicken popcorn is a killer. there's more flour than chicken. i agree it tastes good, but wouldn't dare eat it now.

Katharine

Sometimes we all find ourselves in the situation where if we didn't eat what was available we would starve.

The chicken peices I agree are about the best low carb deal you can get at KFC.

At Burger King I have been ordering a double angus burger with cheese and a knife and fork and bining the bun. This is a pretty high protein meal and keeps my stomach happy for hours.

Reactions: lorraine95

stella836

KFC primarily sells chicken in form of pieces, wraps, salads and burgers. While its primary focus is fried chicken KFC also offers a line of roasted chicken products, sides and desserts.
---------
Stella