How big a spike do you get testing 30mins after eating ?

ckneppel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
From personal experience, the majority of non diabetics spike above that, so I tend to use the official figures off this excellent site.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I tested my mother, in her 90's at the weekend, after a bowl of porridge, she was above 7.8, and that age, having eaten it all her life, her pancreatic cells appear to be fine still.
Yes, my husband's mother is 94 and eats all kinds of junk, so does he. The difference is that I have a genetic predisposition (from my father), while my husband and his family apparently have cast-iron pancreases (pancreai?) I just hope my daughter takes after him in that respect.

ckneppel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
From personal experience, the majority of non diabetics spike above that, so I tend to use the official figures off this excellent site.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I tested my mother, in her 90's at the weekend, after a bowl of porridge, she was above 7.8, and that age, having eaten it all her life, her pancreatic cells appear to be fine still.
Yes, this is a truly excellent site. There are studies that maintain that truly normal people never spike above 120/6.7, no matter what they eat. Also, my doc made the remark that 'everybody's pancreas eventually wears out', then corrected herself to 'well, not everybody, depends on the degree to which they inherited genes that predispose them'. Since we often don't know if we are predisposed, we should all eat healthfully by avoiding the common, high-carb western diet prevalent in the US but it's entrenched over here, so its really difficult and people are so judgy.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your blood sugars generally continue to rise up to an hour after eating and then begin falling.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
chart-post-meal-blood-sugars-diabetic-v-nondiabetic.png

lindisfel

Expert
I tested at 2 hours and I couldn't believe I was diabetic. I then found I peaked at 1 hour and could be hypo at +2hour so I diagnosed my own RH and got just into the T2D range at 50. I think now I should have still been prediabetic but atorvastatin put me in range thus insuring I would be prescribe statins for diabetes. If I had followed sid bonkers advice I would still be having hypos after eating carbs!:)
:)

SarahMarzouq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A person with normal insulin sensitivity and production, eating normally, should rarely spike and only very briefly. A healthy body has insulin ready-to-go to deal with food as it arrives and then has a second wave of insulin under production to mop up any leftovers.
The point after eating, when your sugar levels are highest, will depend on you, what you have eaten, what you are doing etc. If you are getting a serious spike at 15 minutes or half an hour, you might want to question what you are eating. It would suggest that your first phase insulin response isn't good.

Over the years, quite a number of people on here have said things on the line of "my wife, who isn't diabetic, spikes to 10 after chocolate cake, so that's normal, so I'm not bothered if I do the same". I would suggest that The Mrs is also on a road to diabetes, even though not officially diagnosed.

At first, it is very interesting to run a series of tests, say every 15 minutes, after a food such as porridge, to see what happens. After that, sticking to one hour (or two) enables comparisons. In the end, it's all about avoiding carbs. Do that and your levels should be low.
Sally
Avoiding carbs is misleading to me. Choosing the right carbs is the thing with all respect, especially if you do exercise. I`m still searching about this low carb diet, but why we should not eat what we are supposed to eat?!

Reactions: azure

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't leak for 2 hours but I am low carb high fat. If I overeat protein I rise sooner and continue to rise until who knows when. Then I sulking is gone and I dint come back down. It's always a puzzle.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Every diabetic is exactly the same?
I think we know the answer to that, so it blows out the graph for every non diabetic being the same.
It's a guide, that's all. Anyone who wants to know how their body reacts can pick up a kit very cheaply to know for sure.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Avoiding carbs is misleading to me. Choosing the right carbs is the thing with all respect, especially if you do exercise. I`m still searching about this low carb diet, but why we should not eat what we are supposed to eat?!
It's possible to exercise on low carb. I'm currently training for a half marathon and once I had adapted to fat burning rather than glucose I've had no issues. I agree though that the right complex carbs are beneficial for health. I wouldn't allow any refined carbs or sugar near my body nowadays though.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

The Low Carb program is aimed at Type 2s. Type 1s have more flexibilty :)

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
A fast release carb such as a banana will spike very quickly.
Wonder if someone can share experiences on how quickly banana would spike BG levels? I am type 2, has never tested BG levels after eating banana., thinking to do such test, but not sure how to choose right banana size. Thanks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have only ever tested before and 2 hours after eating which means 2 hours after you finish your meal, this was the advice given here originally when I joined and the purpose of it is to check that your bg levels have or are returning to there base level after 2 hours, just like a non diabetics bg levels do.

Whats the point in checking to see a peak, a peak is something that non diabetics get after eating.

The whole point of testing is to check that the amount of carbs you have eaten is only enough that your levels will be returning to there base level at 2 hours, just as a non diabetics do.There is no other reason to test and in IMHO testing at other times is a waist of strips that tells you nothing useful.
I wonder why people even bother with CGM then.

Who aren't T1 or on insulin or even them for that matter.

Oh and a peak of say 33 would not just be a number it would possibly be life threatening to my mind data is data the more you have the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

Michellenz

Guess the oats maybe don't suit me. Thanks again for all your advice. I am tracking my progress and neuropathy symptoms quite closely and will post results in a few weeks. (I have also seen neurologist and will go back to gp if the lchf and supplements don't work)
I tried porridge when I first started managing my diet (when I was high in pre-diabetic range, now am well in normal range).
I was shocked at how high porridge made my blood glucose. It’s definitely in my never eat food group:)

Reactions: Debandez