Alcohol v. Diabetes

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I have to step on this darn soap box again.... :roll:

I really wish people would stop talking about alcohol as if it's a great way to controle diabetes! It may lower high glucose readings, but has anyone actually checked out all the rest of the dangers? Did you know that alcohol can make the neuropathy in your feet worse, not to mention hindering your liver from adding glucose to your blood stream when you are running a little low (night time) as it's too busy trying to cope with the alcohol, hence the danger of hypos after consuming alcohol? And what about the very real and lifethreatening condition lactic acidosis when consuming large amounts of alcohol when you are taking metformin to treat your diabetes? Alcohol is NOT a medication to control your diabetes, that is why you take medication or are put on a diabetic diet! Don't encourage the spouse to let their other half drink when on medication, but make them aware of ALL the dangers of drinking alcohol as a diabetic and when taking medication! :x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Good post. I totally agree, I have never sought to use Alcohol as a 'crutch' or a way of trying to control BG levels.

My thoughts are just drink if you must in moderation. My limit is 2 pints a week. I was once a real heavy drinker but not for a long time now, I realised what Alcohol can do......... :(

Eiche

Dislikes
My dad is a very violent alcoholic and my siblings and I along with his women suffered greatly and that is a very big factor why I never ever have overindulged in alchol. I used to really enjoy having a *lady's drink* , something sweet and easily drank or a low alcohol rose wine, but since being diagnosed and on meds I have cut out all alcohol in every shape and form.

I had an appointment with a consultant in the hospital about my diabetes as I found it hard to get my levels down to even barely normal and I mentioned to her the discussion on here about using alcohol to lower the high readings. She was more then a little schocked but she said for some it is a must to have a drink every now and then to relax and let loose, but she told me to read up on alcohol and diabetes and note all the pro and cons, which I did. I had a lot of cons and only three pro's. Some of the con's I listed and the pro's were relaxation, enjoyment of a drink and having a lower glucose reading for a little while. I just find that to me, my life is worth more then a little tipple every now and then!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Controlling blood glucose by drinking alcohol everyday is never a good idea and those that do haven't got to grips yet with their diabetes.

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread could get REALLY ugly.

I just hope that any members that do include alcohol in their regime don't rise to the bait...

This could get REALLY ugly.

Eiche

Dislikes
There is no *bait* in my post dear Mr. Patch. It is MY opinion and as you can see, not just mine alone. Your post, as far as I can see, is the only bait here and I'm only too happy to snapped the hook off your line. So maybe if you don't have anything productive to add, do as I do and don't add anything at all.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Eiche said:
I mentioned to her the discussion on here about using alcohol to lower the high readings.

Which discussion was that then?

I remember a couple of threads where people have said that a glass or two of red wine with a meal can help maintain good levels, but I dont remember any thread advocating that alcohol can reduce high blood glucose levels. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Everything in moderation :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ah yes.....I saw that one too. Much the same I think.....Alcohol as a control medium. :(

Eiche

Dislikes
I just wonder what he proposes to tell this scared husband if something happens to his wife....

These are people's lives here. I don't want to seem overdramatic, but do not take diabetes and it's complications lightly! don't think you can take a day off from your diabetes or that alcohol is a quick fix for the sake of a meal you know shouldn't have....

And that's me stepping off this box now :p

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Just read both those threads but I still dont understand why you think anyone has said

Eiche said:
alcohol as if it's a great way to controle diabetes!
Or
Eiche said:
using alcohol to lower the high readings.

I just see a couple of threads where people have said that alcohol in moderation seems to be OK.

zhaith

I'm not sue if this was due to my reply to the post or the last post on that thread, my reply was aimed at someone recently diagnosed with diabetes who is trying to understand what this disease means.
As I said I practically gave up alcohol upon diagnosis and I can probably count the number of drinks I've had sine then on one hand.

As for suggesting alcohol as a means of control that is something I would never advocate

Eiche

Dislikes
Let me just say this, I have not said that anyone has adviced anyone on taking alcohol I said they talk as if it is a good idea to use alcohol as a means of lowering blood glucose levels. Please do not put words into my mouth, especially seeing since I was not even refering my comment to that thread (READ UP)!
Eiche said:
That's the discussion yes. But it is not the one that warranted me to post this one....

It was this one here...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20036

Maybe you should read my post again.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18666&start=0
Postby Eiche » 04 Jan 2011 13:51
I have to step onto the soap box about something that has been bugging me since I joined this community... This is not about doctors or anything of that nature, just about US!

We are all DIABETICS, be it type 1 or type 2, so why are there so many people in here arguing when someone posts a reply to someone's post with a personal opinion or personal experience, making it look like the answering person has no idea what they are talking about.... We are adding our personal opinions and personal experiences and try to give advice to the best of our ability from what we are going through ourselves.... There is no need to belittle someone's post when it doesn't match your own opinion/ experience.

It's oh so too easy to become what one once so disliked

Attachments

• Lips That Touch Liquor Shall Not Touch Ours-8x6.jpg
    Lips That Touch Liquor Shall Not Touch Ours-8x6.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,362

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi folks :D
it's so good to share our experiences and opinion on this forum. However share and dictate are a long way from eachover in the alphebet and in reality allso . I really feel sorry for the person's that have suffered at the hands of an alcoholic .
Was there no Police or social services in the days of the above ?
I'm sure there was !
There would'nt be rubbers on the end of a pencil (if no one made mistakes)
It is up to you how you feel about people who enjoy a drink and its up to them if they like a tipple. :D
JF.

Eiche

Dislikes
Yes JF there was police and also socialworkers and court cases and in all that, they still left us kids with an abusive, alcoholic peadophile father!

Anyway, I was in no way trying to belittle anyone's post, I was angry at the fact that people talk as if alcohol is oh so good. ESPECIALLY when it involves a diabetic and or medication!

As for your picture, bowell... I would be VERY proud to belong to that group of women who fought tooth and nail to get alcohol banned!!! No alcohol means less violence, less alcohol related illnesses and less resources wasted on some stupid drunk!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Eiche its an interesting post
Unfortunately we have to remind ourselves there is a younger members. (the p word could upset them) :(
I would like to share the point that (the goverment introduced alcohol and tobacco) to our island many many years ago ( they jumped all over it with tax ) then many yrs later when the impact was filling hospital beds !!!!!, They decide its unhealthy . The truth is and remains so the goverments greed for tax via alcohol and tobbacco has caused millions of people to addiction and killed as many . Thats were you could make a big impact in relation to your valid point about alcohol. No one chose to be diabetic or a alcoholic either.
:D

Froobes

This is a really interesting thread. I agree that alcohol isn't a healthy substance to be consumed in large quantities, but requesting that it be banned altogether is stripping an adult of their human right to choose. It might not be something that you agree with, and I'm very sorry for the bad experiences you have had, but that doesn't mean to say it isn't a luxury we can't enjoy, Diabetic or not. I'm 21 and Type 1, I go for nights out with my friends and still manage to check my bm's and stay in control. I think the extremes you are talking about are just that.