Gin And Slim Line Tonic

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, hope you’re all enjoying the sun. I was wondering if anyone drinks Gin and slim line and the effects it has on your bloods?

Thank you
X

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, hope you’re all enjoying the sun. I was wondering if anyone drinks Gin and slim line and the effects it has on your bloods?

Thank you
X
I do drink it - but only one in an evening (and not every evening) - and only the pre-mix tins now. Makes no difference to my sugars at all :)
~Heath

Reactions: Beanzy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, I have! With ice & a slice of lemon or lime... No issue. :)

The alcohol content may keep your liver busy? So "dawn phenomenon" should be minimal.. (If at all.) Pending on when consumed.

Disclaimer. Drink responsibly.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I drink spirits, but not with a mixer because I’m not keen on artificial sweeteners. So for every double, I drink a pint of iced water, otherwise I’ll drink single malt by the pint! I’ve found I don’t get such major dawn phenomenon after a few, and am prone to a hypo the next day. I also drink dry white or rosé wine, and sometimes a red, if I can find a vegetarian/vegan one (they’re often filtered through gelatine or milk, am I’m allergic to both of those), so it’s usually rum :)

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
None! I also read somewhere that gin is made in a different way than other alcohol so is healthier for you.. this may be debatable but keeps me happy as does the gin itself lol

Reactions: Beanzy and gemma_T1

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, because I avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners, I have developed a fondness for gin and soda, with a squeeze of lemon juice and plenty of ice, and it’s rather nice!

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gin and Slimline Tonic was the most useful advice given on the DESMOND course I attended.

What’s the Desmond course like, i’ve been waiting to go in since April.

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ended up having a gin and slim line tonic with lemon and ice. Absolutely loved it and my bloods were 5.5.xx

Reactions: Jaylee

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve recently found this is one of the best alcoholic things for me to drink where previously I’d have a wine or vodka Diet Coke. I’m loving pink gin! I had one with a meal out last week... no subsequent low (only tends to happen if I drink more than one) and perfect overnight levels... shame it’s alcohol!!!

Bingale1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks. Just from my personal experience: There is a trend towards ‘light’ tonics, eg fevertree and now Schweppes. These are not the same as slimline or diet tonics. I always ask to see the bottle. Lights can have up to 8g of carbs per bottle and I get quite large bg spikes. Britvic and Schweppes diet/slimline have 0 carbs. Bar staff will often say light is the same as diet. it isn’t but please check when ordering.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bar staff will often say light is the same as diet. it isn’t but please check when ordering.
Yes- and its a shame because Bombay Sapphire and fevertree light used to be my favourite tipple!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve recently found this is one of the best alcoholic things for me to drink where previously I’d have a wine or vodka Diet Coke. I’m loving pink gin! I had one with a meal out last week... no subsequent low (only tends to happen if I drink more than one) and perfect overnight levels... shame it’s alcohol!!!

Just been scrolling down the page thinking "no one mentioned a scoop of voddy yet."

Vodka & DC. I'm glad you did.! :)

@Beanzy , there are plenty of alcoholic beverages for the carb concious..
But do be wary of the generic cocktails! ;) Have fun.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s the Desmond course like, i’ve been waiting to go in since April.
It was 3 months after diagnosis that I went on the course and by that time I had found out from this forum and elsewhere all the information that was on the course. I would still advocate going if you can spare the time as you don't know what you don't know. They do officially use the Eatwell Guide although I found privately the nurse was not against low carb. It has to be said that for some people on the course the Eatwell Guide and its portion control would probably be a big improvement.

Reoryn

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One thing to note is that not all gins are created equal in terms of sugar. If you stick to anything that is a "London Dry" gin, it means nothing has been added to the spirit post distillation. They're almost always a clear liquid too. Anything not London Dry has had something added after distillation and before bottling; like fruit in the case of pink gins, or sugar in the case of an Old Tom etc.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks. Just from my personal experience: There is a trend towards ‘light’ tonics, eg fevertree and now Schweppes. These are not the same as slimline or diet tonics. I always ask to see the bottle. Lights can have up to 8g of carbs per bottle and I get quite large bg spikes. Britvic and Schweppes diet/slimline have 0 carbs. Bar staff will often say light is the same as diet. it isn’t but please check when ordering.

I too was going to mention this. I was caught out and couldn’t understand why I had higher levels. When I tackled the bar staff in two places neither were aware. On top of that because Fevertree is the mixer of the moment a lot of places stock nothing else. I did actually contact Fervertree about it, but basically they said they were not prepared to compromise by putting artificial sweeteners in. I just feel that bars going down the fevertree route should be made aware that their mixers have sugar in.

pinkjude

I too was going to mention this. I was caught out and couldn’t understand why I had higher levels. When I tackled the bar staff in two places neither were aware. On top of that because Fevertree is the mixer of the moment a lot of places stock nothing else. I did actually contact Fervertree about it, but basically they said they were not prepared to compromise by putting artificial sweeteners in. I just feel that bars going down the fevertree route should be made aware that their mixers have sugar in.
My diabetic nurse told me to switch to fevertree light and now i wonder if that is bad advice. I dont like the taste of diet drinks so wonder if soda water is better