Libre Scan (Diabetes:M addon)

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Looking for something else I just found this on Google Play.

I was aware of Diabetes:M but have never used it, but I believe it is well respected. As far as I knew you had to input BG readings manually as with many other management packages. However this seems to change all that.

It seems that with this add-on you just scan, and create a new BG reading record in Diabetes:M.

I assume all the other 15 minute readings get hoovered up too. Can't actually find that info at the moment.

What did catch my eye though is the callibration feature. That is of great interest.

Anyone got experience of these apps?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having had a quick look (and that's my get out clause if I'm later found to be wrong!) I can't actually see anywhere it suggests using the phone to scan the Libre, yes you can import the data but I assume you have to use abbotts software to export it to a file first.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, the Google Play entry has phone screen shots, the text says:

"To use this add-on, you first have to request access to Diabetes:M app. Enable NFC scan on your mobile device and start the sensor with the original FreeStyle Libre reader."

which I interpret as Use the scanner to activate the sensor, then why would you enable NFC if not to scan?

The product is an unofficial add-on the Diabetes:M. I can't see any other explanation other than this app scans the sensor, uses any calibration to adjust the reading then uploads to Diabetes:M every 'n' minutes. That may mean to their cloud store or the app. Not sure, but the cloud store syncs to all linked devices so the scan would appear every device that you have configured.

That's how I figure it.

The more I think about it, the more I like the sound of it.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I see it now! I'll partially use my get out clause!

Looks interesting, however the reviews aren't brilliant in that it appears not to work for a lot of people, or phones - maybe just teething troubles.

now if only this was available on an iPhone................oh and that I wasn't so bloody allergic to the libre - But I'd still be interested in hearing more about it.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a bit cautious about using it too. Initially I thought it was a Diabetes:M app, just unsupported 'cos it was new. However it seems it's a small company or even one man band, and it's connection to Diabetes:M is unsupported by the latter. That's a shame. I imagine they (Diabetes:M) are a sizeable firm who currently provide full support and cloud storage etc, who are unlikely to leave you hanging if something goes awry. Or at least that's what I'd hope.

Nkolev91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Libre scan app works quite good. I've asked the developers how the calibration is made and the answer was that it calibrates the Libre readings using the manually created entries from Diabetes:M which are from a glucose meter. Which means that with every glucose meter reading it calibrates itself for the next Libre scan which seems great! Also Diabetes:M has quite good support, they always answer quickly and accurately.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre scan app works quite good. I've asked the developers how the calibration is made and the answer was that it calibrates the Libre readings using the manually created entries from Diabetes:M which are from a glucose meter. Which means that with every glucose meter reading it calibrates itself for the next Libre scan which seems great! Also Diabetes:M has quite good support, they always answer quickly and accurately.
Good info. The Diabetes:M site also suggests Glimp but that seems a bit functionally overkill to just scan. The Libre Scan app being just a dedicated scanner for Diabetes:M seems much more efficient.

Does it transfer every 15 minute value to the app? How does it show that, just as points on the graphs or as full BG entries?

Nkolev91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All entries are shown and they are full BG entries. They're just grayed out (marked as sensor).

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre scan worked well with grátis subscription of Diabetes(M) for one day! I presume they expect you to subscribe the paid Premium version for Libre Scan to work. I have done that today with 1 month subscription to evaluate. I shall cancel the subscription if it fails to respond.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is libre scan downloadable on iPhone? Diabetes(M) already is available for iPhone.

K

Knikki

Don't know if you go the app but I just downloaded it and tried it out, this was for Android.

Well first scan was was very different to the Libre app, Libre said 4.6 going up Diabetes M app said 6.4 level. HMM!!!!

Fiddled with the 3 settings that are available and the reading are now closer but the Diabetes M scan app still reads higher then the Libre one.

It is picking up the sensor as it is correctly telling me when the sensor will finish, however I am not sure what algorithm it is using the read it.

Will give it ago over the next few hours but first impressions are not great.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use it only for recording and comparing. I prefer Spike as my link with Libre sensor and MiaoMiao.

K

Knikki

I have a MiaoMiao on order.

Well having played with the Diabetes M add on app for a while and I have uninstalled it. I found that when up at the higher end of mmol range say 8 or 9 it was reporting at least a 5 point higher and at the lower end at least 3 - 4 points higher than the Libre mobile app.

The Libre app has a 0.5 - 1 point difference between its readings and blog finger pricks.

Yes it did save the info directly into Diabetes M but for me the difference in the readings was too much.

I still have the Diabetes M app on the phone and still playing with that.