Growth Scan Showing Large Stomach...

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My community midwife sent me for an unplanned growth scan 2 weeks ago (32weeks + 4) because my stomach measurement was measuring 2 weeks ahead.

At the scan they found the baby had a larger stomach and was on the 92nd% but because it was still in the target range weren’t overly concerned.

I saw the midwife again yesterday and she said my stomach hadn’t changed size in the last 2 weeks and therefore sent me for another unplanned growth scan today! The babies stomach measurement has only gone further out of proportion and is now over the 95th% and off the scale in terms of the guideline charts.

Has anyone else had abnormally large or out of proportion measurements? I’ve got an appointment booked for next week and a section booked for 3 weeks time but am just worried she’s going to be a whopper or have a huge tummy!!

I will also add that my readings have been higher than I would like, on average around 9-10 but my DSM again wasn’t very concerned...

Last edited:

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie,
I don’t have any experience in this, but if the healthcare team aren’t concerned you have to try and relax and trust their judgement-easier said than done I appreciate!
I am sure everything will work out absolutely fine, but sending lots of good wishes for you to be sure xx

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, sorry for such a late reply, but I have experienced this. My little girl, who’s now 18 months was off the scale with the measurements of her stomach. But when she was born her stomach was actually in proportion. So please don’t worry too much as you may have the same outcome xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, sorry for such a late reply, but I have experienced this. My little girl, who’s now 18 months was off the scale with the measurements of her stomach. But when she was born her stomach was actually in proportion. So please don’t worry too much as you may have the same outcome xx

Oh that’s good to know! They don’t seem worried so it’s put my mind to rest a bit I’m going in next Sunday for steroids before my section on the Tuesday so only just over a week to wait and she’ll be here. Really trying to keep my sugars down for this next week so it doesn’t make it any worse xx

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that’s good to know! They don’t seem worried so it’s put my mind to rest a bit I’m going in next Sunday for steroids before my section on the Tuesday so only just over a week to wait and she’ll be here. Really trying to keep my sugars down for this next week so it doesn’t make it any worse xx

That's not very long. Good luck with it all. I'm sure it'll all be fine.

eabhamurphy

I've got my section on Tuesday 17th too!

Reactions: CranberryIce

eabhamurphy

Ahh snap! Do you know what your having?
Another little boy! I see you are having a little girl. Congratulations!

I'm having a section at 39w2d so I'm praying I don't go into labour beforehand as I just feel it will end in a section again anyways and labour was so awful last time. I've agreed with the consultant that if I labour I will 'give it a go' A vbac isn't on my list of personal goals though, just that it is logical to go with it if it happens. What will you do if you labour before the 17th?

How are you finding the heat?

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Another little boy! I see you are having a little girl. Congratulations!

I'm having a section at 39w2d so I'm praying I don't go into labour beforehand as I just feel it will end in a section again anyways and labour was so awful last time. I've agreed with the consultant that if I labour I will 'give it a go' A vbac isn't on my list of personal goals though, just that it is logical to go with it if it happens. What will you do if you labour before the 17th?

How are you finding the heat?

They’ve let you go late then, im having my section at 37 + 2 so don’t think there’s any chance of me going into labour before hand!

I’m a bit disappointed as I had a failed induction with my first and spent 4 days going through the induction process before ending with an emergency c section so opted for an elective this time so it’s literally a case of going in and having it done! But now my sugars are a bit unstable they want me to have steroids as an inpatient meaning I go in Sunday morning and don’t come out until I come home after I’ve had her!

The heat is a killer!! I’m not good in the heat even when I’m not 9 months pregnant so really struggling what about you?

eabhamurphy

They’ve let you go late then, im having my section at 37 + 2 so don’t think there’s any chance of me going into labour before hand!

I’m a bit disappointed as I had a failed induction with my first and spent 4 days going through the induction process before ending with an emergency c section so opted for an elective this time so it’s literally a case of going in and having it done! But now my sugars are a bit unstable they want me to have steroids as an inpatient meaning I go in Sunday morning and don’t come out until I come home after I’ve had her!

The heat is a killer!! I’m not good in the heat even when I’m not 9 months pregnant so really struggling what about you?
Last time I went to 38w1d for induction. The induction worked really fast considering my body was said to be totally unready for labour, within 24 hours I was 8cm and baby was distressed and had a section. That was with only one pessary! So he was born at 38w2d.

At one of my consultant appointments this time I asked about the steroids and being admitted to hospital to have them etc and she said 'well let's aim for a section at 39w then depending on growth of baby to eliminate the need for steroids'. I'm on a pump and a linked CGM so controls been easier this time. I've had some spells of totally irratic blood sugars though at numerous points. The amount of insulin my body needs can rocket in just one day. It's been exhausting trying to figure it out every day. I was good at the beginning with managing carbs but now I'm too exhausted to be able to focus on that.

The heat is a killer. My feet are swollen! Which is a first. I can't sleep. Hot all the time. Maternity wards are also the hottest places on earth even outside of a heatwave.

So you'll be in for over a week before the section? Have I understood that correctly? Or the Sunday before the 17th? They told me diabetics in all circumstances have to have steroids as an inpatient, no exceptions.

I bet my baby is going to be massive at 39w2d!

Xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I guess letting you go so late is a testament to how well you’ve coped and managed in pregnancy!

Yeah staying in hospital in this heat is going to be awful I’m going to see whether they have any private rooms available when I get there so atleast I can bring a fan or control my own temperate - be a bit of a diva haha!!

I go in for steroids on the 15th so only 2 days before my section. With my son I stayed 2 nights after he was born so if all being well again, hoping to come out Thursday but will obviously all depend on the little lady and how she copes!

My son was 6lb 6oz at 37+4 and when I’ve compared their scans there’s only 3 or so ounces between them so hopin forms similar size. My biggest concern now is what the hell do you dress a newborn in when it’s this hot

eabhamurphy

Well I guess letting you go so late is a testament to how well you’ve coped and managed in pregnancy!

Yeah staying in hospital in this heat is going to be awful I’m going to see whether they have any private rooms available when I get there so atleast I can bring a fan or control my own temperate - be a bit of a diva haha!!

I go in for steroids on the 15th so only 2 days before my section. With my son I stayed 2 nights after he was born so if all being well again, hoping to come out Thursday but will obviously all depend on the little lady and how she copes!

My son was 6lb 6oz at 37+4 and when I’ve compared their scans there’s only 3 or so ounces between them so hopin forms similar size. My biggest concern now is what the hell do you dress a newborn in when it’s this hot
Oh 6lb6oz is so little!! Mine was 7lb13oz at 38+2.

I was out two days after my section last time so hoping for less this time but I'm probably being too optimistic. My first had hypoglycemia because my blood sugars went low and then high for the last two hours of labour (no sliding scale was done etc) so I'm surprised we got out so soon.

It's hard now, blood sugars randomly went to 10 at 3am despite my basal rate of 3u/hr at that time so need to look at what I ate before bed to see if that could have come to get me later on in the night! That CGM alarm as well, I don't know if it will be 'suspend before low' or 'alert before high' now. Outside of pregnancy I could call it with accuracy.

As for dressing a newborn in this weather! That's confusing, particularly when they go on about them needing to be warm when first born. I'll be wanting to leave him in just a nappy!

It will be nice to be liberated from the worry of how my diabetes directly affects the baby and back to it just affecting my health. I find that a more manageable concern. Roll on 17th!!
Xx