Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, I’m down to 8.9mmol. Still appalling compared to what I’ve got used to, but I’ll take single figures as a win this week! 11 shots so far today, an unheard of 17.5u NovoSluggish...

In other news, some renovation work on my local Asda in Tonypandy is yielding some good new products I’ve only seen in Cardiff branches. Sugar free sweet chilli sauce for one! Also vegan Quorn ham, which I love. I spent about 20 minutes reading the labels on the three hundred different varieties of peanut butter, and found one that’s only 4.6% carb, about half to a third of most of the others.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tony337 - no drinks splurting out of holes, sadly - at least that would be funny! But I have so many tiny bruises I look like I’ve been beaten up by a pixie ;)

@Robinredbreast - I. Hate. Tresiba. But it’s wonderful that you’re home, you really went the whole hog, dincha? Sending a big cwtch from the Rhondda <3

Currently running in the 15s and 16s, six (yeah, SIX) units of NovoSluggish on board an hour ago and it’s down to four now. I wonder if I’m injecting HFCS? Feels like it. I’m scared to take any more Novo, the stuff I’m carrying isn’t due to finish until around noon. I’ve taken 10.5u already (six injections so far, going for a new PB?) this morning and it’s Just. Not. Working.
mel maybe a change of bolus insulin would help when first diagnosed i was on apidra i also take metformin with breakfast and teatime insulin othewise numbers go off the charts .about 2/3 months ago levels just started rising for no reason i was changed to fiaspand its been brill well up to now anyway i do hope you get sorted soon as all them injections must be draining the life out of you best wishes karen xx

Reactions: Cumberland

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
mel maybe a change of bolus insulin would help when first diagnosed i was on apidra i also take metformin with breakfast and teatime insulin othewise numbers go off the charts .about 2/3 months ago levels just started rising for no reason i was changed to fiaspand its been brill well up to now anyway i do hope you get sorted soon as all them injections must be draining the life out of you best wishes karen xx
I asked about Fiasp at my last appointment, but they said to only change one at a time, and we’d look into it at my next appointment, which is in September. It’s definitely on my list of things to discuss!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked about Fiasp at my last appointment, but they said to only change one at a time, and we’d look into it at my next appointment, which is in September. It’s definitely on my list of things to discuss!
i changed from lantus to tresiba and apidra to fiasp within a week of eachother i do hope that when you change it works mel :)

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay thanks for your insight! I do carb count already and even have my ratios down pretty good (1:8 breakfast, 1:15 dinner and tea) - I came into all this from a fairly informed position to start with..All the DSNs I've seen - knowing this - were still adamant I'd get a lot out of DAFNE even though it would be more fine tuning than a total education, but it sounds like maybe not.
I gather they teach you about correction doses? I've only been told not to correct for a hyper after a hypo from eating the fridge, but from the forum it seems like you're maybe only supposed to correct at your next meal time... I've been correcting as and when I felt I needed to.
I get where you're coming from about meeting other people though... at my Libre education session a lot of people were very concerned at how it only shows HIGH after a reading of about 27 and mentioned how they are often at that level and won't know the difference between 27 and 30 odd, I was privately slightly horrified! My numbers have never been that bad but I assume I still have some native insulin kicking around at only 5 months in. Thanks for the link to the course, I'll check it out.

K

Knikki

Well I have run fairly flat all day, well with in the green band on the Etch A Sketch and say coffee & cake at 3:00 it was a little later.

Coffee with lime cheese cake with coconut sorbay on top.

Currently at 4.4 no corrections :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alison54321

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have always like the sound of the place name "Tonypandy"; it seems impossible to say it without a Welsh singsong lilt.
Your message made me look it up on a map. I would probably be spending most my weekends walking in the Brecons or mountain biking in Afan or climbing in one of the climbing centres you have nearby, if I lived there.
But I guess I am looking at it through rose tinted specs.

This is the current view from my sofa, geographically we are rich beyond measure. Economically? Distinctly less so, the Rhondda is one of the poorest areas in Northern Europe. But I love it here, and our diabetes care is pretty fantastic.

12238099-D396-4F2C-A6A2-E6F92CAF0B7A.jpeg

K

Knikki

This is the current view from my sofa, geographically we are rich beyond measure. Economically? Distinctly less so, the Rhondda is one of the poorest areas in Northern Europe. But I love it here, and our diabetes care is pretty fantastic.

Rhondda Valley? My dad is from that neck of the woods, actually Bridgend but he had not been there for decades not since his mum died which I think was mid 80s

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Had what I feel is bad news today... tried to book onto the DAFNE course only to be told I can't do it because I'll have started on a pump by then. I understand it's more geared towards basal bolus but I'm not getting CGM so most of the carb counting stuff will apply. When I told them I've had no training whatsoever in carb counting they offered me a 2 hour session on it... not really the same thing. Not sure how other people feel about DAFNE but it was really pushed as something I should do and now I feel I'm going to miss out on what people said was essential
It is usual for the DAFNE course to be done before a pump. I was told I may have to do a "top up" on the DAFYDD course before I start, even thou I have proved that I can carb count very well

Reactions: kev-w

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Robinredbreast . Wonderful to have you out of hospital and back with us.
Can't help with the Tresiba. I'm sure that like most things diabetic it'll take time and effort on your part to get it right.
Daniel Darkes?????? I was aware of him a while back, I'm aware he has now joined us here and I've read some of the things he has said. I think he's been very fortunate to achieve what he has, he appears to be honest, humble and sincere. My only concern is not with the guy but with how is story is probably offering a little to much hope in certain quarters.
This could well be one of the first steps on the ladder that is a " cure " for diabetes.
When the medical profession can give concrete answers with bulletproof data, I think I'll feel more hopeful for future and present diabetics.
Excuse my pessimism :banghead:

Reactions: kev-w and porl69

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is usual for the DAFNE course to be done before a pump. I was told I may have to do a "top up" on the DAFYDD course before I start, even thou I have proved that I can carb count very well
I understand, but you have to be diagnosed 6 months to do DAFNE and I'm not even there yet.

Reactions: porl69

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got you. It's good that you are getting a pump so soon into your type 1 life
I'm very very lucky. My consultant is awesome. I shocked the whole team with how much my Hba1c had dropped when I went back 4 months after diagnosis and the nurses had been suggesting a pump for a while even then, they'd suggested it to him before my appointment and he agreed. I just don't want to miss out on any education opportunities :)

Reactions: kev-w and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Munchies:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.
I've got the bl**dy munchies.
Just wanna nibble, nothing meal like, just a taste.
So far ....... Greek yogurt and grapes ( small dish ), a few Doritos, 2 teaspoons PNB, 1 round brown bread and butter.
5 units novo to hopefully balance out my current cravings, doubt it will, be hey in for a penny in for a pound.
Now I'm wondering have I over done the bolus???????:):):):). 2 jelly babies to be on the safe side????:wacky::wacky:
Good night all.
PS I'm most definitely not hypo.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm at 8.1 with a slope up but am expecting it to drop off yet, well it wants to drop....I over corrected with food this aft with a scotch egg and some humous, I should have had half of it at 10g carbs but I ate the full pot as I'd been out on the pushbike and was dropping and was gym bound.

It's not been a bad day though :)