Levemir Split Doses

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that Levemir lasts around 12 hours or so and Tresiba can last as long as 30 plus hours, which is why I guess one does of Tresiba works for them

We are all different what works for some wont work for others,otherwise we would all be on same insulins

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that Levemir lasts around 12 hours or so and Tresiba can last as long as 30 plus hours, which is why I guess one does of Tresiba works for them

We are all different what works for some wont work for others,otherwise we would all be on same insulins

Oh I agree, but both are dose dependent to an extent. Levemir can last 24 hours at high enough doses, but will only last 18-20 hours at a reasonable dose for most people, so the solution is to lower it enough that it lasts roughly 12 hours and take it 2x/day. Tresiba will last longer at smaller doses, but the problem I see for many type 1s, including myself based on my own experience with it, is that again, the dose needed for it to last 24 hours results in blood sugars that are too low at night or during the day due to differing basal needs. Dr. Bernstein and others have had success splitting it because 1 dose at an amount that doesn't cause lows is not sufficient despite how long it is supposed to last. My theory is that newly diagnosed type 1s or type 1s who still produce some insulin are basically under-dosing their Tresiba and their beta cells are compensating for the difference - much like when I was newly diagnosed, I was probably taking a dose of Levemir that only lasted ~18 hours but my beta cells covered the gap. It's just a theory and you're right, different insulins work better or worse for different people.

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting to read how you split your dose. I was taking around same amount morning and evening of Levemire, but I am finding that my overnight and up until around lunchtime area remaining highish. Think I will try adjusting again taking more overnight and less for mornings

I'd do it in small steps if you do and give each step a couple of days to take effect :)

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious : For those who split levemir doses are your doses the same. I have 12 units at 6am and 4 units at 6pm.
No, I take 17u in the morning (9am) and 10u at night (10pm).

My consultant tried switching me to Tresiba a few months ago but I discovered that due to those different day/night needs it wasn't working for me. Been back on Levemir for 2 months now and much better controlled!

Reactions: Sharrryn