Blood Sugars Ups and Downs Suspected Honeymoon

Glyn1390

I am 41yrs old, 4 weeks ago got told I have T1 during a stay in hospital. Went to the clinic and got to choose my very own pens, went home and started monitoring, injecting and trying to adjust. Had loads of high readings (13 - 30mmol) for a fortnight then suddenly, started going hypo, not really low, but got tremmerings in my hands and the inability to type well! Anyway, did some research, consulted with the clinic and then adjusted dose downwards. Then the levels went ok for a couple odays and then, bang, up they went. Adjusted dose upwards and then ok for a couple of days then bang, levels too low, culminating in the lowest reading to date of 2.8mmol tonight. Is this the way it works? Am I being too optimistic in thinking that i can crack my dose in this short period?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which insulin are you adjusting, the long acting one or the short acting?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Basically.... yes.

At the moment, your body has some ability to produce insulin. It won't do this regularly to help you, oh no.. it'll do it in random spurts. None at all for days, and then you won't need half the insulin for days.

What sort of insulin are you on?

Snodger

I've been T1 over 20 years and I still tweak my insulin dose all the time - I don't really think of myself having a standard dose, because it depends so much on what I'm doing, what I'm eating, how well I'm feeling, what time of the month it is, how stressed I am, etc etc... don't be afraid to experiment and find out how your body responds.

Paulbt68

I have been diagnosed since May last year, and it seems that this week, my Pancreas has decided to cope all by itself again. Not sure for how long or why. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to any of it. Sorry.

Glyn1390

NovaRapide 3 times (meal times) then Lantus for the night. Only adjusting the Nova Rapide and trying to work out what a sandwich is worth at lunchtime - guessing at around 5-6 units. However, this still works one day and then the next..surely not the filling making a difference!!!! Only adjusting the daytime dose as the nightime always seems to leave me on 10ish mmols in the morning. Really Big Bowl of Ready break seems to always see me thru to lunchtime with a good reading.
By the way thanks to all of you who have commented...I have found the whole thing pretty scary. Not afraid to admit it!

Glyn1390

Paulbt68 said:
I have been diagnosed since May last year, and it seems that this week, my Pancreas has decided to cope all by itself again. Not sure for how long or why. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to any of it. Sorry.

Oh joy...Loads to look forward to. I suppose it could be worse, i could be a conservative!

Snodger

Glyn1390 said:
Only adjusting the Nova Rapide and trying to work out what a sandwich is worth at lunchtime - guessing at around 5-6 units. However, this still works one day and then the next..surely not the filling making a difference!!!!
It could be the filling that's making the difference - depends what it is, what do you put in your sandwiches? Are you sure that the fillings don't contain extra carbohydrate? It could be the exercise you are doing. It could be things you are drinking along with your lunch. Eg if you are drinking fruit juice one day and not the next, or if you are drinking coffee from one of those horrible machines that makes it out of odd coffee-dust (sometimes they can be bulked out with carbs, weirdly and annoyingly enough).

lordmidginald

43, diagnosed T1 4 weeks ago and going through exactly the same roller-coaster ride of GS results. I'm trying to guess the "carb level" of what I eat and balance this with the amount of Insulin I take. Believe there's a carb counting course out there somewhere....keep going, apparently it gets easier!

Glyn1390

Hi
Roller Coaster - you aint joking! Am going hypo every other day at the moment for no apparent reason - really feel like ditching the insulin just so my work isn't affected. Before anyone chirps in with don't, I won't, however 1 question...what can I drink...I have been a heavy drinker all my life and can't seem to reduce...I have a (Acronym removed) attitude with Diabetes at the moment! White wine is my tipple

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was diagonosed type 1 in Jan 2010 - and he's still honeymooning now. His insulin needs go in cycles over a period of months.

He will have about 6 weeks where he needs very little, nad he backs his lantus down to maybe only 4 units a day. Then his need goes up and he may need up to 20 units. Each time his need goes up we think this is it - end of honeymoon. Then it goes nback down again.

Fortunatly he is very happy about monitoring and adjusting his insulin to suit and he has good Hb1 results. The hosp said this was quite common when T1 develops later in life?

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Snodger said:
I've been T1 over 20 years and I still tweak my insulin dose all the time - I don't really think of myself having a standard dose, because it depends so much on what I'm doing, what I'm eating, how well I'm feeling, what time of the month it is, how stressed I am, etc etc... don't be afraid to experiment and find out how your body responds.
Do you generally have it well controlled?, T1 for 9yrs here & I still can't control it properly (hmm maybe I shouldn't post here incase I dishearten the op!), I find that there are just so many things that change BSLs that I can't keep up, my job doesn't help either.....

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Hi there!
I am 62 yrs old and was diagnosed last november with T1. from being put on mixed insulin to begin with and having fairly good - but restricting- control, I was swapped onto Humalog and Lantus. from then on I've been trying to get the basal dose right for weeks... (I know it takes a long time) but I've been increasing the dose every few days ( Instructions from my DSN ) , from the start up of 8u to now 14u, but still wake up with 8's and 9's !!
The daytime Humalogs are no problem, but I, like you think I am in the honeymoon phase still, and this up and down thing may well last for months... if not years I am told. S, as long as we try to get it right and not end up in a heap of despair!! lol we'll get there one day. I much prefer the MDI and being able to tweak the doses when I want.

wigzaah

i was diagnosed rather out of the blue a year ago, seems from the posts here that i was lucky and got my bs under control immediately. i have novorapid for meals and insulatard at night. i recently decreased the insulatard at night from 24 to 20 because my last hba1c was 5.7 and i was told it was too low!

i noticed in one of the postings that you may not be confident in the accuracy of your carb counting. i bought a copy of Dr Wynnie Chan's book called 'calorie counter' which also includes carb contents. it's a small book so fits conveniently into the bumbag i cart my various meds around in and find it invaluable.

it has info on day to day foods like fruit and veg that don;t have a handy label on them with carb content but also has a section on takeaway foods like chinese which again don't come with any nutritional info.

i got it in WHSmith for £3.99, absolute bargain.

hope i haven't broken any site rules in terms of advertising or whatever but this book really is invaluable - for me anyway. i know that insulin to carb ratio is a personal thing but the starting point is knowing what you're eating!

good luck with controlling your bs, it does get easier over time although i do note the comments about peoples' pancreas working / not working which i can see would really send your levels haywire with absolutely no warning

Wig

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yea I should get that book really, thx for the tip :).
Although I would still have no idea how much insulin to take anyway even if I knew that carb content..

wigzaah

hi assimilator1, sorry to take so long to reply.

you will find a lot of comments on this forum that as individuals we are all different. i started off using a ratio of 1 unit of novorapid to 12gr carb but was having regular low bs readings so switched to 1 unit / 15 gr carb.

my jan 2011 hba1c was 5.7, the consultant said too low, i had a test last week and found out today that it was 6.0 so hopefully that will keep her happy!

due to us being individuals you have to find the ratio that is right for youand of course it won;t necessarily be the same as mine for instance. regrettably it is a case of trial and error.

good luck and don;t give up!

Wig