What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
....stumbled out of bed this morning in an "oh so weary way". Just supping my morning BP coffee now and feeling more human .... The first day in long trousers for a few weeks now, feels a little odd. Sugars 6.3. Have a great day all......

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all - late posting as I was reading a few things generally related to this mad riddle (TM Danny Dyer Inc 2018) of old gits health. Fbg was 6 which is very high but seems to be virus related. In case anyone cares, the pieces I was reading were on Vitamin B12 deficiency (common side effect of Metformin there are others inc statins and anti inflammatory NSAIDs) and effects of eating too little/fasting particularly on raising cholesterol.
Shared in spirit of hopefully being useful in making sense of the mad riddle of the raft of data we now have access to, rather than adding stress.

Last edited:

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morning all - late posting as I was reading a few things generally related to this mad riddle (TM Danny Dyer Inc 2018) of old gits health. Fbg was 6 which is very high but seems to be virus related. In case anyone cares, the pieces I was reading were on Vitamin B12 deficiency (common side effect of Metformin there are others inc statins and anti inflammatory NSAIDs) and effects of eating too little/fasting particularly on raising cholesterol.
Shared in spirit of hopefully being useful in making sense of the mad riddle of the raft of data we now have access to, rather than adding stress.
@ianpspurs i was vitamin b12 deficient around a month ago my drs did a blood test to check for b12 stores the results came back yesterday and the drs say my results are satisfying :D

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
@ianpspurs i was vitamin b12 deficient around a month ago my drs did a blood test to check for b12 stores the results came back yesterday and the drs say my results are satisfying :D

Hmmm. In light of this might pop a multi vitamin. Thanks ...

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Have been to see the doc today as a follow up to my recent tests.
He has agreed with me that I can stop taking statins and test again in a month.
I confessed I was only taking one third of my Metformin prescription and I want it to go down from there in due course not up - he was ok with that too.
He’s not going to prescribe me test strips.
I’ll call that a 2-1 win, which is better than a 2-1 defeat, even after extra time.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ziggy2017 that is good news. I am waiting for results from a test I asked for. In the meantime I have been taking b complex and b12 supplements.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've been out walking (sorry Jackson) and thought I't put this here.
I have just passed 3 years LC and testing ( July 8th). Results OK Hba1c fine, cholesterol fine including ratios, bp good, weight and waist to height ratio fine. Seems to me the diet and interventions needed for the 15 stone couch potato back then are no longer appropriate and actually starting to be potentially harmful for an 11.5 stone regular exerciser.
Point of putting it here is partly to ask others who have been in a similar situation what they did and to point out to those "coming behind" to be very aware of treating the whole person and where you are now not where you started.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well, I've been out walking (sorry Jackson) and thought I't put this here.
I have just passed 3 years LC and testing ( July 8th). Results OK Hba1c fine, cholesterol fine including ratios, bp good, weight and waist to height ratio fine. Seems to me the diet and interventions needed for the 15 stone couch potato back then are no longer appropriate and actually starting to be potentially harmful for am 11.5 stone regular exerciser.
Point of putting it here is partly to ask others who have been in a similar situation what they did and to point out to those "coming behind" to be very aware of treating the whole person and where you are now not where you started.

I would reply to that in a reasoned manner but am still thinking about it I do agree once you have rought the necessary changes then it is time to reassess from the perspective of where you are now not where you at some prior time were. But after losing a shed load of weigh bringing my BG levels into the normal range I find my self having to reassess that which I had already reassessed so am finding it a little confusing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I. But after losing a shed load of weigh bringing my BG levels into the normal range I find my self having to reassess that which I had already reassessed so am finding it a little confusing.
@JohnEGreen I think we are actually "on the same page" (you can take the boy out of management but ....) The page being the one which says your body will need to be treated differently as you make the major changes many here are making. The HCP advice assumes failure to make changes and steadily worsening control. Many on here are effectively "normal, healthy" people and may need to recalibrate when they reach that point - at least them's my onions.

Last edited:
Reactions: millenium