Hello And Advice

milly7uk

Hello
My name’s Shaun and I normally just lurk reading posts but I need some advice please. I’m a type 2 diabetic on Metformin 500mg three times a day, normally manage quite well but recently things have started to go wrong. I’ve had haematuria recently which was treated with nitrofurantoin. Yesterday, I dipsticked my urine and my glucose levels where off the chart. Also, a trace of ketones too. Felt like I was in a daze! It improved throughout the day by drinking plenty of water. Today, the same thing! I’ve only had 2 weetabix, a coffee and a tea. Any ideas? I’ve got a GP appointment at 3pm this afternoon. I’ve had lots of stress recently. My son has had surgery, a funeral and the arguments that follow and dealing with a claim for a car accident. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Reactions: kerrygold59

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First, I would get hold of a glucose meter. You may have to buy one but all of us need one to know where we are how food affects us. Keep the carbs down. Two Weetabix is probably kept at one and look at eggs and bacon etc for breakfast. The Nitrofurantoin and the stress may all be keeping your BS up. See what the GP says and what your HBA1C result is.

Reactions: milly7uk and Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't advise on the meds, but the weetabix is very carb-heavy and will make your bs go way up. Like someone said, eggs and bacon are a better breakfast option (no toast though!!!). Maybe add mushrooms and cheese if you like? That should bring the numbers down. Stress can and will raise your numbers too, but right now that can't be helped; it's just a stressful time for you and you can't exactly take a break from life. Just make sure you get enough sleep eh... Be gentle with yourself.

Reactions: MaryTC and milly7uk

milly7uk

Thank you. My sugar was 4.5 yesterday pre meal. I have been naughty and not been to any follow ups or Annual checks. I’ll try the Bacon. I have overnight oats sometimes too. Made with frozen fruit ( strawberries, raspberries and Brambles) is that ok?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been naughty and not been to any follow ups or Annual checks.
You really really need to make sure you go to your follow ups and yearly checkups - unless you want those dreaded diabetic complications that can happen

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oats are high carb, berries are usually ok. Maybe have the berries with high fat yoghurt or soaked chia seeds instead of oats.

Reactions: milly7uk

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
The carbs to avoid are bread, rice, pasta, cereals, potatoes and most veg that grows underground. Fish, meat, cheese, dairy, seeds and nuts are all fine as is green veg and salad. Full fat products are better than low fat ones as they tend to add sugar to replace the energy we get from fat.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I seriously need to look at my diet as I thought oats were ok.
I did too and used to have porridge for breakfast until I tested two hours after eating and found my bg had spiked to 10.4.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So many do think that 'brown' carbs are OK - but they are still really high carb, and only a lucky few can manage small portions of lightly processed grains.
This morning I had three eggs, scrambled, with some cheese grated on top and then a sliced tomato, I do the eggs put them on a plate with the cheese and tomato then invert the mini wok over the top for long enough to melt the cheese - tomorrow I will make a mushroom omelette - but there are all sorts of low carb options to cook or - in the hot weather I might have some meat or fish left over from the day before with salad stuff..

Reactions: Prem51 and Mal37

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, going to get my Hba1c sorted today. I seriously need to look at my diet as I thought oats were ok.
Any grain is basically a no-no. Bacon and eggs (other stuff thrown in for variety) is my breakfast go-to, but some full fat greek yoghurt with berries and/or nuts like walnuts, coconut, pecans, hazelnuts, brazilnuts or almonds is good too... Or strawberries with unsweetened cream (or with sweetener, if it doesn't spike you. Trial & error). Cold cuts and cheese rolled up can be filling too. Or a big mug of bulletproof coffee, with butter and/or coconut oil. I saw some recipies for coconut or almond flour pancakes too. (Probably on dietdoctor.com). Haven't tried those though, too much hassle in the am. ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@milly7uk - Are you testing your blood sugars with finger pricks, or just by using urine dips? The problem with the dips is they only pick up sugar if it's sitting at what would be around 10 if you were testing bloods, and that's a bit high.

I appreciate you've been having a tough time of late, but it's time to rein this in, before it runs away with you.

There are plenty of people here who would be happy to help you through the hard yards.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
So many do think that 'brown' carbs are OK - but they are still really high carb, and only a lucky few can manage small portions of lightly processed grains.
This morning I had three eggs, scrambled, with some cheese grated on top and then a sliced tomato, I do the eggs put them on a plate with the cheese and tomato then invert the mini wok over the top for long enough to melt the cheese - tomorrow I will make a mushroom omelette - but there are all sorts of low carb options to cook or - in the hot weather I might have some meat or fish left over from the day before with salad stuff..
Resurgam ... that sounds so nice I'm going to do it for my tea :)

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

milly7uk

I only check my blood glucose when I feel rubbish. My GP think you don’t need to check with Metformin. I have booked for a yearly review and bloods. I am totally ready to blast this and get back to the gym too!
Any grain is basically a no-no. Bacon and eggs (other stuff thrown in for variety) is my breakfast go-to, but some full fat greek yoghurt with berries and/or nuts like walnuts, coconut, pecans, hazelnuts, brazilnuts or almonds is good too... Or strawberries with unsweetened cream (or with sweetener, if it doesn't spike you. Trial & error). Cold cuts and cheese rolled up can be filling too. Or a big mug of bulletproof coffee, with butter and/or coconut oil. I saw some recipies for coconut or almond flour pancakes too. (Probably on dietdoctor.com). Haven't tried those though, too much hassle in the am. ;)
ha ha ha I hate mornings too!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only check my blood glucose when I feel rubbish. My GP think you don’t need to check with Metformin. I have booked for a yearly review and bloods. I am totally ready to blast this and get back to the gym too!

ha ha ha I hate mornings too!
It's usually a case of "NHS goes bankrupt if everyone tests". That's why most people here self fund; gp's don't/can't perscribe. I don't test anywhere near as often as I used to, but I've gotten pretty good at guessing what certain foods do, that helps. ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and milly7uk

Fairy09

Oats are high carb, berries are usually ok. Maybe have the berries with high fat yoghurt or soaked chia seeds instead of oats.
I also thought oats were ok as they are slow release carb...should we not be having oats?
Also, you say to have high fat yogurt but I can't find any that are under 5 grams of sugar per 100g so I've gone with danone low fat and no added sugar. Is there a certain brand of yoghurt you recommend?

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, you say to have high fat yogurt but I can't find any that are under 5 grams of sugar per 100g so I've gone with danone low fat and no added sugar. Is there a certain brand of yoghurt you recommend?

I think it is all relative...........the berries and full fat yoghurt, are respectively, roughly, 12g and 6g of carbs per 100g......compared to, for example, Weetabix at approx 69g per 100.

The problem with Type 2 for me is the number of variables and what works for one person may not for another. It is trial and error which is why the advice to test, seen regularly here on the forum, is so useful. You will find out, by testing before and after trying different foods, what impacts your blood glucose.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there a certain brand of yoghurt you recommend?
Greek yoghurt tends to be lower carb than ordinary. Total Fage Greek Yoghurt has 5% fat and only 3g carb per 100g. You can find it in Sainsbury's and Tesco (if you are in the UK). Waitrose have their own Greek yoghurt which is 10% fat and 3.7g carbs.

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
My name’s Shaun and I normally just lurk reading posts but I need some advice please. I’m a type 2 diabetic on Metformin 500mg three times a day, normally manage quite well but recently things have started to go wrong. I’ve had haematuria recently which was treated with nitrofurantoin. Yesterday, I dipsticked my urine and my glucose levels where off the chart. Also, a trace of ketones too. Felt like I was in a daze! It improved throughout the day by drinking plenty of water. Today, the same thing! I’ve only had 2 weetabix, a coffee and a tea. Any ideas? I’ve got a GP appointment at 3pm this afternoon. I’ve had lots of stress recently. My son has had surgery, a funeral and the arguments that follow and dealing with a claim for a car accident. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi Shaun, first of all quit eating weetabix it’s not helpful for any human walking.
Cut carbs right down but b4 u do that see the GP about lowering the meds as you lower the carbs - low carb high fat lifestyle is the way to reverse DBt2- it’s a prescription, read up and like away lower carbs to 20% and reduce the meds by seeing the doc.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
:)