In-flight Meals!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
They certainly make it nigh impossible to communicate with them unless you have a complaint. Still, at least I've tried.

Non reply from filling in forms on websites is predictable, I think they give people the opportunity to communicate without any intention of replying. I might have to resort to a recorded delivery to the MD's home.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hope you dont mind me butting in on your discussion. Last time I was on a flight I ended up with food poisoning ! From the fish, they wanted to keep me in hospital in dubia, had to fight to get them to let me get on connecting flight next day. Was given injections & on drip for 8 hours, they told me to never ever eat fish on a flight as they get so many passengers with food poisioning after eating fish on a flight. Needless to say no fish on flight agsin for me.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the warning @maureen5752. I did have the seafood option on my last flight but fortunately didn't get the food poisoning like you. I think I will opt for the Asian vegetarian option next time, it's probably tastier too.

Reactions: maureen5752

Crogers21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the warning @maureen5752. I did have the seafood option on my last flight but fortunately didn't get the food poisoning like you. I think I will opt for the Asian vegetarian option next time, it's probably tastier too.
Yes that's exactly the meal I got when I went to India, within India on internal fl8ghts and returning from India. Disgusting!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am flying to Mexico next time , hoping for a chilli con carne :)

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hope you dont mind me butting in on your discussion. Last time I was on a flight I ended up with food poisoning ! From the fish, they wanted to keep me in hospital in dubia, had to fight to get them to let me get on connecting flight next day. Was given injections & on drip for 8 hours, they told me to never ever eat fish on a flight as they get so many passengers with food poisioning after eating fish on a flight. Needless to say no fish on flight agsin for me.
This reminds me of the spoof film "Airplane" where they asked the passenger's if any of them could fly a plane as the pilot had eaten the fish!

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema
D

Deleted member 308541

they told me to never ever eat fish on a flight as they get so many passengers with food poisioning after eating fish on a flight
I had a Asian type meal with Abalone in it on a SIA flight from the UK to Singapore. I had no problems with it but pretty gaseous when I got home to Australia my partner and kids complained a lot about the meal I ate.

Reactions: Freema

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have travelled several times to Turkmenistan with Turkmenistan Airways. The flight goes on to Amritsar or Delhi and the food available caters for those travellers, I made the mistake once of having the curry and despite being no stranger to a vindaloo it was much too hot to handle, not what you expect on an aeroplane. The steward told me that on a previous flight they had to prevent an inexperienced air traveller preparing his on meal on a Primas stove in the aisle.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
The airlines seldom want to offer low carb as one of the choices, because it is more expensive to prepare.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Was given injections & on drip for 8 hours, they told me to never ever eat fish on a flight as they get so many passengers with food poisioning after eating fish on a flight.

Worth knowing, what did the airline say? Slightly different, I got serious food poisoning from scrambled egg in Bahrain on the morning of my flight home. Local doctor gave me an anti-emetic for the vomiting and something for the other end (unnecessary as the bacteria had been very efficiently ejected from my body both ways). British Airways were brilliant when I told them before boarding, they even found me a hot water bottle, extra blankets and a business class seat so I could get a decent sleep. If they noticed I was awake they were continually offering me hot drinks.

The airlines seldom want to offer low carb as one of the choices, because it is more expensive to prepare.

More expensive than the Lacto-ovo-vegetarian, Vegan vegetarian, Asian/Hindu vegetarian, Muslim, Kosher, child meal, baby meal, gluten intolerant, low fat, low salt, low calorie, low lactose and diabetic meals offered by British Airways? I don't work for them by the way.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dieticians and nutritionists are not obsessed with strict low carb the way we are.I was given a diet plan with bread,pasta and potatoes.

Besides, when admitted to the hospital I had bread.

Dgebuadze2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A couple of years ago, I travelled BA and ordered the diabetic meal. It consisted of a white roll with chickpeas followed by a muffin!
I wrote to BA politely but disappointedly. I received a thank-you response and a 100 GBP voucher for my next flight (greatly appreciated!).
The next time, I tried again -- and got EXACTLY THE SAME MEAL!!!

D

Deleted member 308541

A couple of years ago, I travelled BA and ordered the diabetic meal. It consisted of a white roll with chickpeas followed by a muffin!
I wrote to BA politely but disappointedly. I received a thank-you response and a 100 GBP voucher for my next flight (greatly appreciated!).
The next time, I tried again -- and got EXACTLY THE SAME MEAL!!!
They gave you the £100.00 to pay for your own food supply when you fly with BA in future.

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So not quite inflight, but in the lounge pre flight. This is my go to breakfast......and I know kippers are not to everyone's taste!! - I can. now avoid breakfast on the aircraft.

IMG_1972-1.jpg

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think I will opt for the Asian vegetarian option next time, it's probably tastier too.
Asian vegetarian is yummy, as a rule. As for Low Carb I don't remember, as that wasn't my focal point at the time.