Type 2 Self-monitoring Of Blood Pressure

zeilende

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone !

I am Type 2 controlled by Metformin. Visited our GP practice yesterday for my annual diabetes review. Weight down and blood sugars okay although I am warned not to eat so-called exotic fruit such as pineapple, mango, etc, an essential part of my breakfast each day. Looks like apples then during most of the Winter period.

However, my blood pressure is up and so I was told to buy a monitor for home use. Question: What would be the point of monitoring my blood pressure? What can I do about it? Worry for two weeks until I can get an appointment to see a GP or other person? And what will happen then? My blood pressure is governed by anxiety and depression, caused originally by a nervous breakdown back in 1989. The mind does not heal like a broken limb. Just baffled at the mechanical nature of the review process this year. Thanks for reading,

Bob.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like a lot of people my blood pressure at the surgery is artificially high, finding somewhere to park is probably the main factor in my case. My doctor suggested getting a meter for home use, I have an Omron M2 Basic which is cheap but very good. For you, measuring in the comfort of your own home at various times and keeping a detailed record to show the doctor will determine if you actually have a blood pressure problem and what situations it might be related to.
Incidentally an 80g apple has 10g carbs an 80g satsuma has 5g carbs. The lowest carb fruits are raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, a few with double cream is a good dessert.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Zeilende, I have a home blood pressure monitor because I suffer with white coat syndrome, (BP shooting up at the Drs). Maybe your Dr is trying to rule that out for you. You need to sit and relax for atleast five minutes before a reading, sit with your legs uncrossed, feet flat on the floor, back supported by the back of your chair, this may not all be possible in a brief Drs appt. I now take a daily reading for a week before any planned appt to show them. I did it before my asthma annual review recently and the nurse didn’t bat an eyelid when I presented her with my readings.

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my case, the point of monitoring at home is that I can take it anytime, anywhere. I'm supposed to take it in 'batches' of 3 and record the lowest and present the average to GP when asked. I think the idea is that, if the lowest you record is in the accepted range for your circumstances, you're ok.
My highest reading at the surgery is 214/104.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hello. High blood pressure (I have it also) won’t kill you in a fortnight, it’s a long term risk issue, so if your readings are high there will be no need to panic. But home testing will enable you to get a range of readings over several days which a better indication than one surgery reading. Take your monitor with you to the doctor so you can check if it is consistent with their readings.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is AND medical. I got it from Amazon. I have a touch of white coat. Plus the walk to the GP raises it slightly. I was told to rest for an hour after exercise and no caffeine for an hour either.

She also told me to the take three readings.

Sometimes she gives me a sheet and asks me to do two readings in the morning and two in the afternoon for six days, then she works out the average.

Mine is always low on rising so I wait until I have got going.

When I bought mine, I took it in to the nurse and she compared my machine with her's, she said close enough!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Omrod M3 too. Excellent machine, easy use, reliable and seems to be accurate compared with those at the surgery. I notice they have the same machine at my surgery too ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting thread. Well for me it is. I am going to double check my device today at the local pharmacy who are happy to check my device against theirs. So there will be one on each arm simultaneously. :D

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone !

I am Type 2 controlled by Metformin. Visited our GP practice yesterday for my annual diabetes review. Weight down and blood sugars okay although I am warned not to eat so-called exotic fruit such as pineapple, mango, etc, an essential part of my breakfast each day. Looks like apples then during most of the Winter period.

However, my blood pressure is up and so I was told to buy a monitor for home use. Question: What would be the point of monitoring my blood pressure? What can I do about it? Worry for two weeks until I can get an appointment to see a GP or other person? And what will happen then? My blood pressure is governed by anxiety and depression, caused originally by a nervous breakdown back in 1989. The mind does not heal like a broken limb. Just baffled at the mechanical nature of the review process this year. Thanks for reading,

Bob.

I think if you have high blood pressure then it’s definitely worth monitoring it yourself. You may be shocked at the difference it can make being relaxed at home. I was told off for having a highish BP at the doc at the time of dx. I was so concerned as mine had always been in the low side that I invested in a machine. Turns out it’s a major case of “White cost syndrome”! My BP is not as high as I was told.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you have high blood pressure then it’s definitely worth monitoring it yourself. You may be shocked at the difference it can make being relaxed at home. I was told off for having a highish BP at the doc at the time of dx. I was so concerned as mine had always been in the low side that I invested in a machine. Turns out it’s a major case of “White cost syndrome”! My BP is not as high as I was told.
Also I think that it takes more than 10 minutes for it to settle down after a brisk walk to the GP or up a few flights of stairs. By the time ones blood pressure is settled the 10 minutes is up! :D