Pump Users And Shift Work....

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any pump users who do shift work?

I’m looking to start a new job which is shift work so I will typically be working a few days on then a few days off, sometimes working through the day and other days working all through the night.

Is there anyone currently or previously doing this and if so what should I expect with my sugar levels and is there anything you’ve found that helps?

Is it as simple as having two programmes set up to reverse your hourly rates for when you are awake through the night?

Any advice or experiences welcome :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully there are some here that works shifts on a pump, your DSN should also be able to help you and the help team at your pump supplier. I've flown long distances which is very similar where over say a 4 day period I swap 12 hours around, I do this by resetting time on my pump - but could be done by copying your basal and having the second set up with a 12 hr shift in time. But also I only do this maybe 4 or so times a year not every week.

As I'm an amateur (to regular shifts) and I'm sure there is better advice out there :)

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Deanc883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are there any pump users who do shift work?

I’m looking to start a new job which is shift work so I will typically be working a few days on then a few days off, sometimes working through the day and other days working all through the night.

Is there anyone currently or previously doing this and if so what should I expect with my sugar levels and is there anything you’ve found that helps?

Is it as simple as having two programmes set up to reverse your hourly rates for when you are awake through the night?

Any advice or experiences welcome :)

I have set 3 programs on my Insight Pump.
Day off, earlies and lates. I started with day off profile then tweaked it to suit my early and late start times. I also have to change my eating ratios. My late finish is midnight, so I’m in bed by 1 am.
Day off profile is only 1 unit more of insulin than my late profile.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone is different.............I certainly wouldn't go in to shift work assuming there would be any significant changes to basal rates.....

however, as with anything else, you just need to keep testing and adjusting to compensate....

Reactions: kitedoc

LeahJane

I work shifts on pump. I have basal pattern for day off, day shift and night shift. Very little difference to them. Day shift has slightly less in the morning as day shift mornings are hectic (I'm a nurse). Night shift basal isnt much different to day off, except a little less in morning as i was getting low when going to sleep. Main difference for night shift is my bolus ratio is much lower at night as I seem to need a lot less insulin when I eat on night shift.