How Are You Coping With The Heat (uk)?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The best 250 quid I ever spent was on a portable aircon unit. just hang the hose out the window and close the door, sheer bliss :)
How do you cope with the water condensation ?

D

Deleted member 308541

OOOHH wrap up warm Tipetoo don't want to catch a winter chill now do we.
It's only got to 22° celcius today, had to put a trackie top on cool breeze from the south west coming through my office door...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
It's only got to 22° celcius today, had to put a trackie top on cool breeze from the south west coming through my office door...
Sigh. You are so hard done by !!

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do you cope with the water condensation ?

The water collected is fed into the hot air stream and out the air outlet hose where is again evaporated. Unlike the vast majority of portable Aircon units there is no water collection tank. As I said, best £250 I ever spent :)

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been a very strange year for me. I always tolerated heat very badly, 1976 was pretty horrible. Cold only worried me in that I have Reynauds and my fingers were not happy in extreme cold. Did not stop me riding motorbikes for many years. But, this last winter I really suffered with the cold. Chillblains all over my fingers and both hands and feet permanently cold, and no bikes involved. This heat has been a bit uncomfortable at times, but no real bother. Not like me at all! As for blood glucose, the heat seems to put it up slightly especially on waking up.

Landor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I hope you are all doing ok? I’m just wondering how are you currently coping with the heat?
Obviously, in the UK we aren’t used to having such heat last for as long as it is.

Is the heat effecting you’re blood sugars?? If so, what effect is it having?

What are you doing to be able to cope?

1. I’m making sure I’m drinking plenty.
  2. Keeping a fan on in my bedroom overnight.
  3. I also have a spray bottle I fill with cold water, so I can spray my face & neck during the night to keep me cool.
Please share any hints & tips you have to be able to cope in the heat? Thanks in advance
I always struggle in the heat. I drink more water and be as active as possible. For some reason I always require a lot more insulin. It’s like my ratios rewrite themselves.

I’m off to a Florida next week and struggle massively for the first few days even if low carbs. I use the Frio cool packs which help keep my insulin cool.

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I was very pregnant in the summer of 76. Having my own internal central heating, the excessive heat was unbearable. I remember barely sleeping and spending night time often sitting in the garden! I have a fan on all night as cannot get much through my windows. No idea as to BG as I don't test. Not tired during the day and sleeping quite well.

TerriH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, hooligan drivers and most of all rude, selfish and totally inconsiderate people.
All very well but for older diabetics, especially those in nursing homes the effect of thee heat is terrifying, they simply wilt and those with the added burden of dementia cannot even express their discomfort.

Pippadoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am doing the 1million steps for Diabetes uk and am struggling in this heat to get them all in. I try to get a walk in at work at lunchtime but can't walk the dog until around 8.30 9pm when it's cooled down. Am getting lots if sponsorship so I will persevere.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have AC so I use my blinds. I recently ordered new blinds 'cause my old was useless. After reading many reviews on https://prizedreviews.com/best-blackout-blinds/ I bought Springblinds as it's thermally insulated and has 100% blackout effectiveness. It's my method to keep the sun from coming through my windows. Also I open up the windows in the morning to cool the house down, then shut them when it got warm outside. Also I freeze a hot water bottle.

Last edited: