Travelling With Insulin

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to take 4 months’ worth of insulin on a long haul flight and with travel from home, I won’t be able to refrigerate for about 32 hours. Does anyone know whether Singapore Airlines will refrigerate for me during the flight, or would the insulin be ok just in hand luggage? Thank you.

K

Knikki

Well I have always travel with it in my hand luggage, simple I want to know where it is all the time.

Don't see any problem with it being at room temp or slightly warmer for a few hours.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to take 4 months’ worth of insulin on a long haul flight and with travel from home, I won’t be able to refrigerate for about 32 hours. Does anyone know whether Singapore Airlines will refrigerate for me during the flight, or would the insulin be ok just in hand luggage? Thank you.

Hi Lizzie, have you heard of the Frio cool bags specifically designed for insulin? You run them under water and they go very cold for several hours (up to 24 I think). I used them last year to go to the USA (18 hours door to door) and they were still cold to the touch when I finally reached a fridge.

D

Deleted Account

Hi Lizzie, have you heard of the Frio cool bags specifically designed for insulin? You run them under water and they go very cold for several hours (up to 24 I think). I used them last year to go to the USA (18 hours door to door) and they were still cold to the touch when I finally reached a fridge.
I too have used Frio bags. I have been trekking and camping in Venezuela and India and Uganda (separate trips) for 2 weeks with no fridge in sight and my insulin was fine.

Reactions: Knikki

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you and yes, I can take 6 pens in my two frio bags but I’m going for nearly four months which could be 60 pens (still trying to work out how many to take exactly)! And I shall be away from refrigeration for at least 32 hours from home to New Zealand. All ideas will be welcome.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you and yes, I can take 6 pens in my two frio bags but I’m going for nearly four months which could be 60 pens (still trying to work out how many to take exactly)! And I shall be away from refrigeration for at least 32 hours from home to New Zealand. All ideas will be welcome.

Insulin is a lot tougher than the "28" days, "refrigeration" info on the Patient Information Leaflet makes out. That info is there to mitigate the maker's liability in law suits.

32 hours unrefridgerated isn't worth worrying about.

I've carted a 6 months supply around Asia in backpacks in extremely hot weather with no noticeable difference.

If it does start suffering, it doesn't just switch off - it tails off gradually, so you'll have plenty of time to find another source.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Insulin is a lot tougher than the "28" days, "refrigeration" info on the Patient Information Leaflet makes out. That info is there to mitigate the maker's liability in law suits.

32 hours unrefridgerated isn't worth worrying about.

I've carted a 6 months supply around Asia in backpacks in extremely hot weather with no noticeable difference.

If it does start suffering, it doesn't just switch off - it tails off gradually, so you'll have plenty of time to find another source.

Thank you. That’s very useful info to have.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
rude people, turnips, current diabetic support
Thank you. That’s very useful info to have.
Just a note my frio pouch I activated in this heat as we went out for the day on Sunday they say 48 hours mine is still cold today. Magic little pouches.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I purchased some Frio wallets recently, and they have been great for storing my insulin in.

I personally would recommend them. What’s also a godsend is you only need access to water to activate them.