Freestyle Libre Or Dexcom G6?

Louloubell26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been self funding the Freestyle Libre for over a year now but recently I have been considering changing over to Dexcom G6 CGM. I am aware of the price difference but like the idea of the alerts and the placement of the sensor on your stomach area. Is there anyone that has been using the Libre and gone over to Dexcom CGM or vice versa? What did you prefer and why? Many thanks

Reactions: Michael090382

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
I really was hoping that your question would have had a lot of feedback as I am also considering exactly the same thing, even though I have only been using the Libre for a short time compared to you. I just feel that the alarms would be very helpful and from what I have read online the Dexcom G6 seems to be more accurate. (I believe anyway). The Libre is a great bit of kit but I am as I say quite intrigued by the G6.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I compared the Dexcom G4 using xDrip and Nightscout with the Libre a couple of years ago. The differences in use apply to the G6 as well. I'm not a fan of the Dexcom software due to the limited control you have over a number of aspects of it.

http://www.diabettech.com/diabetes/...xbridge-two-different-sides-of-the-same-coin/

The major benefits of the G6, which make it much better than the older Dexcoms are:
  • New applicator is simple to use and pain free
  • Calibration free sensor (which based on my experience of my first one has been really close to bloods for the last seven days after giving it a calibration on the first day)
Compared to my experience with the Libre, I'd say that the G6 remains a lot closer to blood tests than the Libre ever did.

Louloubell26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys for your input. I to michael090382 was hoping for more replies.
In the end I went for the G6 starter kit. Even though it's £160 you are not tied to any contract after as I still have 6 Libre sensors to use up.
The only thing that bothers me but is not a hardship, is carrying your phone everywhere and on the Libre I have the calculator that works out insulin on board. So far though I like it! X

Last edited:

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
In the end I went for the G6 starter kit. Even though it's £160 you are not tied to any contract after as I still have 6 Libre sensors to use up.
The only thing that bothers me but is not a hardship, is carrying your phone everywhere and on the Libre I have the calculator that works out insulin on board. So far though I like it! X

I am currently still using the Libre, trying to work out money for the G6. Will you keep me informed as to how you find it etc.. please?

RMSko

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was using the Libre and switched to the G6. I’ve been using the G6 for about two weeks and for me the G6 is much better. Fortunately I can do a fair comparison since cost is not an issue since my insurance covers both 100%. The reasons I like the G6 more are simple:

1. I don’t have to take any action in order to see my levels - it’s automatically continually updated to my phone and watch. This is huge for me and it has resulted in me seeing my levels a lot more and then watching my carb intake.
2. I’m also able to see my levels on my Apple Watch with the Dexcom Apple Watch complication
3. In the US, in order to use the Libre I needed to use the separate receiver since the iOS LibreLink App is still not available in the US (I understand that it will be available soon - although they have been saying that for a while).
4. The G6 seems more accurate when compared to finger pricks than the Libre.
5. For me the alerts are not as big an issue. I’m type 2 and I use only long lasting insulin. However, I do check my levels a lot thoughout the day. That said, I do like having the comfort of the new feature of the G6 that will tell you if your glucose is expected to fall below 55 in the next 20 minutes.
6. The mechanism for inserting the G6 is a huge improvement over the G5 - I barely feel it going in. In that regard, the feeling is similar to what you feel with the Libre.

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention

How did you go about ordering the g6? Do you have to ring them during the week?

Louloubell26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you go to the Dexcom website, I put my details in for a call back and one of the reps called me back. I placed the order over the phone and it was received within a few days. I am not sure if they are open on weekends.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered adding the Miaomiao Reader to your Libre sensor? It's a one-off cost which clips to your sensor and will give alarms and other various advantages. I've not used/seen one but, on the Facebook UK Users Freestyle Libre site, many people are using it and seem very pleased with it.

https://www.miaomiao.cool/

I'm not sure where one buys this from in UK but this could be found out by posting on either on this site, or Facebook UK Users Freestyle Libre

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
Have you considered adding the Miaomiao Reader to your Libre sensor? It's a one-off cost which clips to your sensor and will give alarms and other various advantages. I've not used/seen one but, on the Facebook UK Users Freestyle Libre site, many people are using it and seem very pleased with it.

https://www.miaomiao.cool/

I'm not sure where one buys this from in UK but this could be found out by posting on either on this site, or Facebook UK Users Freestyle Libre

Yeah I have had a good look at them and the real downfall for me was how big they actually made the sensor. I know it isn’t huge but the fact that the surface area to be caught on something or grabbed by one of the students I work with in my job gave me cause for concern. Otherwise they may have been a pretty good and potentially cheaper alternative.

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
@Michael090382
Maybe consider using an alternative site which isn't as easily caught by anything/any person ;)

Fair point, I am going to try a few different places. Unfortunately because I work in a school with children who have challenging behaviours and it is often the case that restraint is needed and used, the places they can be used are limited. Trial and error but unfortunately the cost may possibly go up!

On a positive note the summer holidays start at at the end of the week so it’s a good time to try things!

Reactions: Energize

Louloubell26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well after 5 days use this is what I think so far....

PRO'S
Alarms - this has help me a great deal and even though can be annoying waking you up in the middle of the night etc, it has allowed me to keep a closer eye on my levels and take action sooner. For example if the alarms goes off due to my levels going higher, I can take that extra unit of insulin to stop it going too high and as long as I am not stacking insulin that is already on board. Dealing with a potential hypo due to the alarms letting you know before you actually go hypo.

Placement on the body - now I didn't mind the Libre on my arm but the amount of times I have knocked it on the doors is unbelievable! I have never ripped one out of my arm by doing this but it still hurts pulling on your skin! I am not shy wearing my Libre on my arm but the G6 is so much better placed on the belly that you forget you have it on and does not show through clothes.

You don't need more will power! - So let me explain a little. With the Libre you have to physically decide to scan yourself, whereas the G6 is constantly sending data to your phone. I just go in Dexcom app and there straight away there is a reading. I know it's the same with the Libre that all you do is scan and get the reading but for me to stop what I am doing and get the scanner and scan myself, still makes it effort when I have my phone in my hand 85% of the time.

CON'S
Monitoring - keeping your phone constantly charged or at least 6 meters from you. I have to carry a spare charging lead everywhere and also a power pack to ensure my phone never goes flat.
Still carrying a blood testing kit. Now I know they say you can make medical decisions based on the reading off your phone but what happens if you phone dies or the sensor does not pick up a reading! I am not confident enough to not have a back up available.

Price and less usage time - so I was getting my Libre Sensors for £35 with a usage time of 14 days each. So roughly just over £ 70 a month. The G6 will cost £150 a month contracted if I want to get them cheaper. I think what we need to remember is the Libre is a Flash Glucose monitor and the G6 is a CGM so I can understand the price difference.

So above are my personal pros and cons.
In conclusion I have decided to change over to the G6 as I have never seen my graphs look so straight ad I believe the G6 gives me that push to change my medication when needed due to the alarms. Like I said above, with the Libre I could go hours and hours without a scan as it's your choice and not something warning you to take action. This for.me is a game changer to how I personally manage myself and to try and achieve a better A1c

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
That is a really good explanation to how you have found the G6. Thank you. Looking forward to receiving mine now so I can get started.

Louloubell26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is a really good explanation to how you have found the G6. Thank you. Looking forward to receiving mine now so I can get started.
This is my opinion just after 5 days. The huge difference for me is it make me pro active!
Please post on this thread to let me know how you are getting on with your G6!

The only problem for me now is trying to get rid of my Libre Sensors! I just wouldn't like to go back to them now. It's like driving a Merc for a week and then having to get back in your Ford! Ebay took my advert off saying I can't sell them on there
I wouldn't mind if I got them through the NHS but I paid for them!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
This is my opinion just after 5 days. The huge difference for me is it make me pro active!
Please post on this thread to let me know how you are getting on with your G6!

The only problem for me now is trying to get rid of my Libre Sensors! I just wouldn't like to go back to them now. It's like driving a Merc for a week and then having to get back in your Ford! Ebay took my advert off saying I can't sell them on there
I wouldn't mind if I got them through the NHS but I paid for them!!

Well I just got my Dexcom G6 today as I was on holiday! Sensor was great to put on, didn’t really feel a thing. I hated waiting the 2 hours though as I just wanted to see what it was like!

Once up and running it has been great, I checked my bloods to see if there was any real difference and so far it seems to be around 0.2 lower on the Dexcom than my blood monitor. I can definitely live with that!

I will post some more after a few days to say how things are going for me.

How are you getting on with yours??

Louloubell26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I just got my Dexcom G6 today as I was on holiday! Sensor was great to put on, didn’t really feel a thing. I hated waiting the 2 hours though as I just wanted to see what it was like!

Once up and running it has been great, I checked my bloods to see if there was any real difference and so far it seems to be around 0.2 lower on the Dexcom than my blood monitor. I can definitely live with that!

I will post some more after a few days to say how things are going for me.

How are you getting on with yours??

]I can honestly say I couldn't go back to the Libre now! It seems so simple compared to the G6. My glucose line has never been so straight on my charts!! I have now signed up to the 11 months contract for the G6 and also ordered a smart watch so I can quickly glance at my levels rather then keep digging for my phone out of my bag. The worst thing about the G6 is trying to keep my phone fully charged all the time or not going flat. I have also enquired about the receiver.
I have also joined a few facebook groups as well for the G6, which I have learnt a few things on there etc.

Annlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just ordered my first Dexcom 6. I’ve been self funding libres for a while but have had allergic reactions to the last 3. The last one I had on had to come off after 2 days as it was weeping fluid down my arm. It has left a burn like reaction and took my skin off. I had to go to my GP to get it dressed/treated. I’m not a big fan of abbots customer service either. I wanted to try the libre one last time to see what difference changing from Levermir to Tresiba made (if any), even though I’d had previous mild reactions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi all - I am also considering the G6 too when my libre sensors run out, it's more expense but I think it's worth it.

Reactions: Annlou

HanzC

Ive just been reading up about the g6 im currently a libre user and self funding i love the libre its really helping me change my diabetes!!! But i have a problem with placement as being on my arm the keep falling off -_-