Complaint made about me using my flexpen in staffroom

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hanadr said:
Some people are very squeamish about blood and needles.
So what? They can look the other way for the few seconds the injection takes.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
A bit late to this but

1) is the office warm ?
2)is there a sink with hot and cold water in the office ? (wash hands)

I take it there is a sink in the staff room with hot and cold water ? :wink:

Contact the union

Bob

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe you are being treated like this working in a school. How are your pupils treated if they have a disability. Personally as a mother I'd wouldn't be bothered if your was to test in front of a full class, I'd see it as a lesson for the kids to get a better understanding and exceptance of a common medical condition. But then I'm the mother that has made my son since he was in a push chair watch everytime I've been blood donning so he wasn't scared of needles

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
I just lost my post :evil:

The point was: if there was a guy in a wheelchair and you said 'oh im afraid of wheelchairs/dont like them/whatever' should the head then lock the wheelchair user away for lunchtime lest it offend others?

You have the RIGHT to take your insulin, the paired responsiblity is not to flaunt it (whcih you're not - being able to see it is not flaunting it).

I suppose the other paired responsiblity is to not stab the backstabbers in the back with the insuling tempting as it might be.... :twisted:

I would use the wheelchair example. Or a seeing eye dog? I don't like dogs, doesn't mean I can take away someones seeing eye dog. Even if most of them think that they are still wong, majority =/= morality.

anniep

Insulin is life saving medication, if other peple are squeemish, then as long as you are not 'in their face' then the problem is theirs.
After all do other people who have to take medication have to leave the room?

It has to be the same rule for everybody.

spideog

hanadr said:
Some people are very squeamish about blood and needles.
At least you've been offered an office and not told to go to the toilets.
Hana
I don't care how squeamish someone may be about needles or blood. If the sight of 3ul of blood and the briefest glimpse of a needle going into someones belly causes them distress then they really should be minding their own business and not be sitting on top of you whilst you are doing your injections.

Once someone is sat more than a meter or two away from you there is no way they are able to see the needle or blood. Or they have some freakishly good eyesight.

Gazhay

My main concern is that these people who have made a complaint have to educate children.

I would not trust any of these people with the care of a diabetic. If there was a diabetic in their class, would they make them leave to test their blood? What if they required assistance to test?

I really hope you counter-complain, as this is a serious issue. They are dangerous people to place in charge of children.

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
Hi Jojo, sorry to hear about your experience, I fear it is an all to common one nowadays.I was chastised by an occupational nurse who said I was breaching health and safety by taking my jab at my office desk. She said that I was exposing the other office workers to unnecessary risk. I was ordered to take my jab in the factory bog,s in future,very hygienic! I refused and received a warning."C'est la vie"
Regards Ricky
" don't let the b"&%*!£s wear you down."

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
So this was a ' nurse' advising you to inject in a toilet ! :shock:

Now that is definitely unnecessary risk !

spideog

What did she claim were the risks to other employees?

I can't think of any job where there is a risk to others from you performing your injections.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Perhaps you should ask for swab samples to be taken in the toilets before you would even consider using them as a place to inject ! THAT is a real Health and safety issue !

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
spideog said:

I can't think of any job where there is a risk to others from you performing your injections.
The nurse claimed that the office staff were at risk from Needlestick injuries, despite the fact that the pen was always carried on my person!
Ricky

spideog

Richard.E.Craig said:
spideog said:

The nurse claimed that the office staff were at risk from Needlestick injuries, despite the fact that the pen was always carried on my person!
Ricky

:lol:

So did she also require you to keep the pen in a locked cabinet when it wasn't being used as well if it's such a risk with it just being in the same room as anyone else? Or is your office in a bouncy castle maybe?

Seriously should have been told she was talking rubbish, it's not like they take you to the loo to give you injections in a hospital in case someone else gets stabbed with a stray needle on the ward.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Richard.E.Craig said:
Ricky

Complete and utter nonsense and I would be having a stern talk to this nurse in question! :x

Nigel

blonagael

Hi there,

The nurse said needlestick injuries?

That's incredible! You could be at risk from injury from their teeth biting you. Or maybe tables and chairs could fly around the room and injure someone?

Keep us informed of what happened next.

Good luck.

tattooazz

This is nonsense, if they are 'uncomfortable' with you injecting, then they should leave the room, NOT you!
This nurse needs to get informed, because it sounds like she thinks you inject like Phil Taylor throws darts.. Needlestick injuries?....

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I was talking to my uncle about injecting in public places and I mentioned that on the radio once they were having a debate because some people think you shouldn't inject in public. He said "thats pretty stupid so they basically want you to just flake out if there is no toilet locally". if they were in your situation it would be completely differen't. Its not as if you pull out a big 6" needle either is it. The needles and even the pens are very secretive (not really the word but you should know what I mean, lol). I remember going to my ex's house and her brother who is only 4 said "I like your pen" I was like **** now what do I say when he wants to use it, lol.