Being a pilot

wiremnas

Hello my name is nassim i'm 18 and i want to be an airline pilot so i have to get my class 1medical but i am type 1 diabetic so i wonder if it would be possible?
Thank you

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Where (what country)? Type of aircraft?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @wiremnas! There are some airline pilots on here, @ScottyD and @australia 1 and @iancud , who might be able to give you some advice.
But I think it depends on the civil aviation rules of the country you want to qualify in.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, the first paragraph in the article I linked:

"In 2012, the UK became the second country worldwide, after Canada, to issue insulin-treated individuals with Class 1 Medical Certificates for Commercial Pilot Licences (CPLs). The UK now has the largest cohort of insulin-treated pilots, and is leading the way in Europe and beyond to create and maintain employment and leisure opportunities for people with insulin-treated diabetes."

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello my name is nassim i'm 18 and i want to be an airline pilot so i have to get my class 1medical but i am type 1 diabetic so i wonder if it would be possible?
Thank you

It's a bit of an unknown from my end...

My understanding up until recently was that in order to fly with a Class 1 medical and have insulin treated diabetes, you had to have already been holding a Class 1 medical. As a result, the answer would be no.

However!

Recently, in the news, there was a young aspiring pilot who had HIV but could not get a Class 1 medical due to that fact. After much anger at this view, the UK Civil Aviation Authority changed it's position and now allows people with certain conditions to apply for a initial Class 1 medical. The Article seemed to be because of the HIV story but it could also include future pilots with diabetes.

This link here shows the CAA change to new aspiring pilots, but I think it could just relate to HIV at the moment. The rate at which things are changing however, this could change again in favour of many other conditions!

http://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-statement-on-Class-1-Medical-Certification/

Reactions: Prem51

James1013

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This may well be a quote out of the link above. Jumping between pages with a phone is tricky. The quote would suggest that you will be issued a Class 1 as long as you can pass the other criteria. The initial medical is done at Gatwick, then the renewals with your local AME (Aero Medical Examiner). If you Google CAA Class 1 diabetes restrictions, there is a pdf stating what you have to do. For example, test 30 mins before taking control. The other pilot must read out your reading for the cockpit voice recorder. Have a read...there are a few.

I am about to have a tumour removed from my pancreas, leaving me Type 1 (secondary diabetic) and without a spleen. I am spending my last 3 weeks eating like a diabetic and trying to cram as much knowledge as possible. Hopefully, this will allow me back to work sooner.

“We recognise that this research will take time and we will continue to offer our full support to this work in any way we can. In the meantime, the CAA will issue initial Class 1 Medical certificates with a restriction to multi-pilot operations to applicants wishing to become commercial pilots, subject to the applicants passing their Class 1 Medical assessment.”

REvans

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just joined today. I’m a Gatwick based pilot flying for a major UK airline. Recently diagnosed with autoimmune Type 1, and now currently trying to get my license back under the CAA’s protocol. Could anybody on here who’s already been through this process provide any assistance? Any help and information would be very gratefully received. Thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Very good suggestion as it's populated by many many pilots

REvans

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers, I’d forgotten about pprune to be honest. I’ve never really been on there much but I’ll have a look.

REvans

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much luck on pprune unfortunately. I couldn’t find anything specifically covering diabetes.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Then ask .... it's a vast place

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you

When I was first diagnosed I was told by the DN that I would not be able to fly a commercial plane but I could fly a private jet.

sprokowski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I work at an airport and my family and fiancés family are involved in the airline and airport industry too. I can’t remember where, but I think I read that BA were allowing t1 diabetics to become pilots (this was a couple of years ago so can’t remember all the details but was happy to hear about it) the article mentioned that the rules were strict and you had to have near perfect overall BG levels and test your blood sugars at certain times before and during flight with a witness I think it was the first officer or captain depending on your ranking.

Reactions: Prem51

iancud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

T1D commercial pilot here. Diagnosed in 2007 and grounded for a long time before getting my medical certification back as part of the UK CAA’s diabetes protocol.

As things stand in the UK, to qualify you must have previously held a Class 1 Medical certification prior to diagnosis. This may change however, due to the ruling mentioned above regarding initial issue to HIV affected individuals. Keep an eye on the CAA website to see if this becomes the case.

Other EASA (European) countries currently taking part in the protocol include Austria and Rep. of Ireland, so if you are licensed by these countries you may be able to get your medical back.

Canada has a similar system to the UK’s (in fact they were the first country to do it), and there’s talk for the US FAA following suit but I believe there are ongoing legal issues with that.

So if you are interested in a flying career (but starting from scratch), then here’s my advice.

Determine if you would pass a Class 1 medical.
It would be a shame (and probably heartbreaking) to overcome the diabetes obstacles only to discover you’d be disqualified on a separate issue eg eyesight, cardiac, whatever.

Keep an eye on the UK CAA website regarding initial issue of Class 1 medical certificates (as mentioned above regarding HIV pilots).
If you’re not in the UK then ask your national aviation authority what their policy is, and why they don’t do something similar to the UK/IRL/AUT/CAN.

Finally, figure out if it’s really what you want to do. There are days when it’s the greatest job in the world. Then there are days when you miss big family events because you’re stuck on a trip in (insert random country here).
If you want to recreate the glamour of long haul flying, then spend a few nights sat in the cupboard under your stairs, forcing yourself to stay awake by drinking bad coffee. That’ll simulate your working environment pretty well.

Those of us who are back flying have to be disciplined with our diabetes management, both when flying and off duty. But then if you want a successful flying career then you need the same discipline with your operating procedures, checklists, training etc. It’s not a career that suits all people, so give it a lot of thought before you invest in any very expensive training!

Hope that helps.

Ian

sprokowski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this! A lot of people ask me thinking I know because I’m diabetic and work at the airport but definitely don’t. This is really interesting to read

Reactions: iancud and Prem51