Newly Diagnosed And Extremely Confused Type 2 Diabetic

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to have the chart that bulkbiker sent across as it tells me where I am. Unfortunately I can't reply to him for some reason.
that's ok I read it anyways..
sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. but at least now you know and I doubt yours is the highest ever seen.
With a bit of work you can get it down pretty fast.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Hi,
I absolutely fit that heading. Diagnosed last week with a reading of 126. GP didn’t tell me what that meant and no diabetic nurse appointment until 6 August. Put on metformin, nothing about diet. 126 sounds pretty high looking at some of the numbers on here but no other symptoms other than fatigue (which is what I went to GP for).
Any suggestions to reduce my confusion would be much appreciated, I did find a conversion table which showed 6% but that still means nothing to me!
Thanks

I had a similar start to my diabetic life.

Came back to the UK from holiday after 2 weeks of Sun, Sea, Sand and Sugary excess to be told that I have an Occupational Health medical. Nurse did a finger prick test and said that I was 105. 105 what ????? No one told me if that was good or bad. After some discussion with the Occupational Health team on the phone they told me that that normal non-diabetic person should be high 30's to low 40's (as a rough guide). I have a self tester to use at home for BG monitoring but that gives its results in mmol/l however its good to use as a guide to see which way my reported blood glucose readings are going.

Stick around, you'll learn so much from this place, stuff your doctor hasn't told you

Mr.NK69

Best advice is two-fold: educate yourself on the dynamics of diabetes (and how carbs figure into things.... This place's low carb program and dietdoctor.com will help), and buy a meter. Being a type 2 the NHS won't provide one, but most people here self-fund. Should you choose to make lifestyle changes, it is a priceless tool. As a type 2 your body is unable to properly process carbs. All carbs, fast, slow, brown, white, sugar, starch... So if you ditch cereal, bread or any kind of dough really, potatoes, pasta, corn and rice, as well as fruit (fruit is healthy, just not for us... Though most of us can handle berries with double cream)... Might see a really big improvement in your bloodsugars straight off the bat. Fat, as it turns out, isn't the obesity-culprit, and it doesn't have that much impact on cholesterol either. So yay for bacon! Eat above ground veggies, meat, fish, dairy, eggs... Go for full-fat, as it slows down any sugar spikes, and low fat is usually loaded with carbs, so steer clear! If you have a meter, check before eating and 2 hours after first bite; if you go up more than 2 mmol/l, the meal was too carby for your body to handle. (Once you know how your body responds to certain meals, you can test a whole lot less.). For me, when I'm not fasting, it's eggs and bacon, cheese and mushrooms in the morning. Salad with tuna, olives, capers and mayo for lunch. Dinner is cauliflower rice/broccoli rice with bacon and cheese, and whatever meat/fish we fancy having that day. Maybe have some walnuts or pecans if I'm peckish or in a social situation where people get antsy if I don't munch with them. ;) They're filling meals, I want for nothing, and I don't know if HbA1c means anything to you, but mine is currently 34. HbA1c is an average of 3 months' bloodglucose. Mine is in the non-diabetic range. And I've dropped 44 pounds, though currently plateauing, much to my chagrin.(after 44 pounds though, that's not bad... I'm just a little strickt with myself.) No idea if weight is an issue for you, but if it is, it's a nice bonus to getting your bloodsugars under control. Meds are of course an option, but without dietary changes T2 is a progressive disease. And for me, the side effects were horrid, so... Diet-only for me. I realise it's not for everyone, as it is a choice, up to a point, and we're all different; sometimes low carbing alone just isn't enough because our bodies simply don't cooperate. But for quite a few people... It's working.
Good luck!
Thanks for the great advice more than what i got from my Gp

ding79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the great advice more than what i got from my Gp
Hi.
Now more confused than ever. I was diagnosed with T2 with a HbA1c reading of 126. Based on the 50 shades chart bigbiker sent me that's about the same as a mmol/L of 18.9.
I bought a meter and took a few readings, all mmol/L. I've been away on holiday, fair bit of exercise, binned most carbs BUT did have a beer or 2 most days. Highest reading, before I went away was 10. Readings now all below 9. Average increase pre and post meal 1.5. Yesterday my reading on waking was 4.4 but rose during the day to 7 after evening meal.
GP but me on metformin at diagnosis 500 for one week, 1000 next week and should have risen to 1500 last Friday but I didn't do the increase.
Still can't get D nurse appointment until 6 August.
Does the above make any sense? BTW, because I have to stay away from home a lot with work I went with the acuchek mobile and because I didn't understand these readings I swapped the cartridge - made no difference.
Thanks
Ding

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ding79 Your readings do make sense. Your bg readings will have come down as you have cut out most carbs. The exercise and metfornin will have helped too. One or two beers probably wouldn't make much difference.
Your readings, and the post meal rises aren't too bad. It's good your readings are now all below 9, keep up the low carb and you should get within range, 7 or below.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
Now more confused than ever. I was diagnosed with T2 with a HbA1c reading of 126. Based on the 50 shades chart bigbiker sent me that's about the same as a mmol/L of 18.9.
I bought a meter and took a few readings, all mmol/L. I've been away on holiday, fair bit of exercise, binned most carbs BUT did have a beer or 2 most days. Highest reading, before I went away was 10. Readings now all below 9. Average increase pre and post meal 1.5. Yesterday my reading on waking was 4.4 but rose during the day to 7 after evening meal.
GP but me on metformin at diagnosis 500 for one week, 1000 next week and should have risen to 1500 last Friday but I didn't do the increase.
Still can't get D nurse appointment until 6 August.
Does the above make any sense? BTW, because I have to stay away from home a lot with work I went with the acuchek mobile and because I didn't understand these readings I swapped the cartridge - made no difference.
Thanks
Ding
You ditched carbs and burned off what you did consume. Those numbers are correct: this is what happens when you're kicking carb *ss. Well done!

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been put on metformin of 2 500mg a day and pretty much told to get on with it any advice thanks

Welcome here , well it is a gigantic shock to most, but if you stay in this forum you’ll soon gain control and feel much better

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try to stay under a Total of 150 grams of carbs daily , if that doesnt get your numbers Down to normal levels of blood glucose then go under 100 grams daily , metformin only helps little

ding79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ding79 Your readings do make sense. Your bg readings will have come down as you have cut out most carbs. The exercise and metfornin will have helped too. One or two beers probably wouldn't make much difference.
Your readings, and the post meal rises aren't too bad. It's good your readings are now all below 9, keep up the low carb and you should get within range, 7 or below.
Thanks for this, Prem51. That's good to know, it seems like a huge change in less than 3 weeks since diagnosis so I was confused.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 three weeks ago. Decent GP who I think has assumed because I was a retired senior nurse I might not need advice. It’s true I did not actually ask for expertise. I am pretty much going the no carb route...apart from the lactose in my semi skimmed milk. Plus no sugar of course. As I had the demon sh*ts my metformin was changed to slow release. Hmmmm. GP feels certain gut side effects are metformin related rather than the statin. Wood from trees is my view.
I know the clinicians only value their HbA1c tests but I am basically challenging myself to work out what I can eat and what sends my BG into the stratosphere. For me, any carb or sugar.
In the three weeks I have got off my fat butt and done some purposeful walking. This has resulted in 5kg weight loss which is encouraging. Mind you given i am basically starving myself, I would expect to lose weight. There will come a time when weight loss will be more tricky to achieve. It seems to me that we are not a homogenous community, there are generalisations to be made but so much that is individual. I am on a steep,learning curve and am gratified by the support on this site. Bless you all.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 three weeks ago. Decent GP who I think has assumed because I was a retired senior nurse I might not need advice. It’s true I did not actually ask for expertise. I am pretty much going the no carb route...apart from the lactose in my semi skimmed milk. Plus no sugar of course. As I had the demon sh*ts my metformin was changed to slow release. Hmmmm. GP feels certain gut side effects are metformin related rather than the statin. Wood from trees is my view.
I know the clinicians only value their HbA1c tests but I am basically challenging myself to work out what I can eat and what sends my BG into the stratosphere. For me, any carb or sugar.
In the three weeks I have got off my fat butt and done some purposeful walking. This has resulted in 5kg weight loss which is encouraging. Mind you given i am basically starving myself, I would expect to lose weight. There will come a time when weight loss will be more tricky to achieve. It seems to me that we are not a homogenous community, there are generalisations to be made but so much that is individual. I am on a steep,learning curve and am gratified by the support on this site. Bless you all.
How low carb are you aiming for?
There's no point in starving yourself... you need to up the fats and proteins to fill the gap left by carbs otherwise you may well find this way of eating unsustainable.. it should be pleasant not a trial.

Reactions: Rachox