ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Liquid metformin isn't as effective, apparently so my endo said @ringi. Could you be confusing liquid metformin with slow release?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we also do not know what the two groups were eating. It could be that the decrease in being able to eat certain foods also led to the decreases risk for some cancers. The article also does not say if the non-gastric operations section also reduced their food intake, which would also effect the results of the apparent benefits of the gastric surgery.

I maintain that it is certain foods, and certain quantities of foods, which affect the cancer risk. I note that only hormone led cancers were reduced. This indicates to me that the apparent removal of type 2 diabetes after such surgery is due to the side affect of disrupting or stopping some hormone behaviours, including insulin, in the body of those operated on.

As such, it may be the change in diet and amount of food which had given the benefit for hormone driven cancers, not the operation itself, except as a way of ensuring strict dietary intakes are met.

I notice that the risk of colorectal cancer more than doubled.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"twofold" means a 100% greater risk. So overall, an increase in risk of cancer?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
from the article linked so not all good news then.
Thats due to abusing the new digestive system. If its treated with respect then the colorectal shouldn't get unhealthy cells forming. Mind u I'm no expert. Just what I'm told by those interested.

Twofold means double.

Hormones are increased in obesity. Insulin included. PCOS has higher testosterone causing hairy face and chest.
Now interestingly good levels of oestrogen are linked to good kidney health and HRT oestrogen levels influence hormonal cancers. Especially breast cancer.

Ive had imbalanced hormones all my life since puberty. Good kidney health too.

Reactions: Jemz

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My GP reminded me and my partner today that I use 24 different prescripted items for my health.
I'm hoping to reduce that by 75% by having my op.
Insulin being the most expensive item. With test strips being not far behind.
I will have saved the nhs thousands by having my op. If I had money I'd donate to the nhs or leave a portion in my Will.

I'm still not writing off retraining to work for the nhs in a job I'd find interesting.
I'd like to give them much more back but a saving, is a start.

I'm looking forward to being able to not feel solid around my middle. Some days I feel im turning to stone. A dead weight.
I'm looking forward to feeling much much lighter.
I'd enjoy my walking more. Swimming especially.

Reactions: Blackeddt2 and Jemz

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"twofold" means a 100% greater risk. So overall, an increase in risk of cancer?
no, in scientific terms twofold means double, so you double your risk of colorectal cancer. Given that you, according to the article reduce your homone driven cancer by 84%, the sums say that, overall, your general cancer risk goes up.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP reminded me and my partner today that I use 24 different prescripted items for my health.
I'm hoping to reduce that by 75% by having my op.
Insulin being the most expensive item. With test strips being not far behind.
I will have saved the nhs thousands by having my op. If I had money I'd donate to the nhs or leave a portion in my Will.

I'm still not writing off retraining to work for the nhs in a job I'd find interesting.
I'd like to give them much more back but a saving, is a start.

I'm looking forward to being able to not feel solid around my middle. Some days I feel im turning to stone. A dead weight.
I'm looking forward to feeling much much lighter.
I'd enjoy my walking more. Swimming especially.
I really, really hope this surgery brings you the results you hope for xxx

Reactions: Jemz and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I really, really hope this surgery brings you the results you hope for xxx
It may not but I will be doing my bit to make it happen or as close as. Any improvement is an improvement. Weight loss is guaranteed from op, up to individuals whether they forfeit requests to not eat wrong foods. Some can only tolerate certain foods mind, after their op.
I will treat my new stomach the same as my kids. With respect and no hurry to eat more. I will do what dieticians suggest but low carb is my foundation. Help to check bloods and fainting (blood pressure) then I'm much happier than I'd ever be.
My body needs an overhaul but medically supervised. I cannot do it safely, alone.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
no, in scientific terms twofold means double, so you double your risk of colorectal cancer. Given that you, according to the article reduce your homone driven cancer by 84%, the sums say that, overall, your general cancer risk goes up.
For some, not all.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It takes a year for body to resettle after op. Within 2yrs some regain some lost weight. My friend was a size 32. She's readded and settled into size 18-20. She'll never get that big again. Because of the op. And her determination.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some patients do have high expectations. I've heard thousands of life stories now. All different experiences. Horror stories and success stories.
Its mainly up to you as to how much effort you put in. Exercise is an important part. As any diet routine change.
I'm as active as my weight allows, at mo.

No movement... no success.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @ickihun
I am sure you will be feeling very nervous about meeting your surgeon, and facing the prospect of radical surgery, and the after effects. You have done your homework, and sought advice, so, along with those medical folks advising you you will have made the best decision for your own individual circumstances.
I wish you all the luck in the world, and the good health you wish for yourself and your family.
Chin up, and be well.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Jemz

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, @ickihun
I am sure you will be feeling very nervous about meeting your surgeon, and facing the prospect of radical surgery, and the after effects. You have done your homework, and sought advice, so, along with those medical folks advising you you will have made the best decision for your own individual circumstances.
I wish you all the luck in the world, and the good health you wish for yourself and your family.
Chin up, and be well.
:) :) :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dietician sanctioned 'low carb' til liver shrinking diet.

I'm half way to seeing a huge difference to my 180units of insulin. A decent weight loss too.

I'm delighted. Surgeon agreed too.
Such a happy bunny.

Now.
I mustn't let the side down soooooo
starting tomorrow I'm back to logging everything on here. Bg, weight, what I've eaten and exercise log.
Happy days.
I have 4kgs to lose in 6wks.

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dietician sanctioned 'low carb' til liver shrinking diet.

I'm half way to seeing a huge difference to my 180units of insulin. A decent weight loss too.

I'm delighted. Surgeon agreed too.
Such a happy bunny.

Now.
I mustn't let the side down soooooo
starting tomorrow I'm back to logging everything on here. Bg, weight, what I've eaten and exercise log.
Happy days.
I have 4kgs to lose in 6wks.
Well done
And wish you well for the next stage

Reactions: ickihun