Honeymoon and hypoglycemia

yoyogali

Hi,

My daughter is 9.5 and was diagnozed 3 months ago with type 1.
She is now in her honeymoon period, and not taking any insulin for over a month.

The weird thing is that she gets hypoglycemia, usually before its time to eat. It even got as low as 49 (2.7).
But she is not getting any insulin, so how is that possible?

Has anyone encounter such a situation?

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
It's not my area of knowledge but I'm "bumping" your thread to see if we can someone with experience of T1 to answer. Alternatively, you could give her diabetes nurse a quick call if that's possible. 2.7 sounds scary low... does she have someone at school who keeps an eye on her?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for bumping @Jenny15 and welcome to the forum @Yogalil it sounds like your daughter is having her honeymoon which comes with diagnosis, it means her pancreas is less stressed and is producing some insulin which unfortunately can cause hypos, it can last a few months or longer, is she taking any fast acting glucose for these lows ? Also speak to her nurse to advise them of these episodes.

Jayden2407

Hi,

She is now in her honeymoon period, and not taking any insulin for over a month.

The weird thing is that she gets hypoglycemia, usually before its time to eat. It even got as low as 49 (2.7).

My son was recently diagnosed and I have read up on the honey mood period.
I’m curious to why your daughter stopped having insulin as a newly diagnosed - did your DN advise to stop having it? Just wondering if this will happen to my son?

Sbain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Hi,
My daughter is in exactly the same situation. She was diagnosed at the beginning of the year and hasn't had any insulin since the beginning of April. She has many hypos which we have been told by several consultants shouldn't happen. They have no idea why. So far she has had numerous tests including checking her adrenal gland and thyroid and a hypoglycemia screening to see how her body reacts when low. All of these have come back normal so we're now waiting to go to Alder Hey children's hospital to see if they can help. We've been told that it could possibly be a metabolic issue. Having searched the forums previously I haven't found anyone in the same situation. On the plus side we now have a Dexcom so most of the time we can get her to eat something before it goes too low.

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow...very interested in this. My daugther was diagnosed almost 2 years ago aged 5. In that time, I think we have only ever had one meal without an insulin shot. Stopping both long and fast acting for more than a month sounds like heaven but also very unusual and hopefully they can work out why. Do let us know if you find out.

Reactions: Jayden2407

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Hi there @yoyogali what you experience though is rare, it can happen to some of the honeymooners, according to our peadiatric endocrinologist.I also encountered a number of sceintific studies on the internet describing the phenomenon. The doctors don't know exactly why it is happening to some of the patients, but assume that it may be that the children were diagnosed quite early thus still a lot of beta cells are preserved. Have you checked her c peptide level?

One thing which is certain is that unfortunatelly it is only temporary and can last from one month up to a whole year in some patients, according to the data...My son was close to dismissing the insulin entirely at one point during the honeymoon and on specific occasions such as a sports day he didn't need any at all.

I got to know a girl while we were staying in the recovery hospital after the dx, who was dxd at age of 14 and didn't take any insulin for the first four months and her sugars were within range.She told me that she was very actively playing volleyball.After a while, the numbers started creeping in and she gradually assumed the insulin therapy. None of this had any effect on her subsequent control, she said.
Hope this little insight helps a little.
Best of luck
Natt