Levemir Peak

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find levemir a good basal insulin but do notice a slight drop in sugars around 6 hours after taking it and then again around 10 hours. I take it twice day. Is it known to have a slight peak which might account for the drop ?

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My Levemir normally peaks within the first few hours of taking it - not a problem at night but I find I often have lower blood sugars after breakfast due to the combo of levemir plus novo rapid. Most long acting insulins do have a slight peak. I have to say the levemir peak is mini compared to the peak I had with lantus!

Reactions: Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Levemir normally peaks within the first few hours of taking it - not a problem at night but I find I often have lower blood sugars after breakfast due to the combo of levemir plus novo rapid. Most long acting insulins do have a slight peak. I have to say the levemir peak is mini compared to the peak I had with lantus!
Yes. It's still is a fairly mini peak but depending on my sugars before I sometimes need extra snack. It's still a good insulin.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I split the dose and have experienced the same peaks at around the times you mention. As you say it's good when just doing its thing but find if eating or exercising during its peak times it has the potential to cause issues with low levels. The peaks can be useful if timed at particular times of the day but annoying if not kept on top of. It's not perfect but nothing is with this condition.
I'm reassured to know you find similar peak times as me. I just need to be aware of my sugars around the peak times.