endobarrier sleeve

harriet56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:evigood morning everyone just to let u know i was 1 of the very lucky ones to get selected for the endobarrier sleeve trials here in GB and iv lost just over 2.5 stone and what a big difference it as made to me i had the procedure done on the 4th of december 2010 i would recommend it to any type2 diabetic who needs to lose weight iv gain so much confidence it so unbelieveable and yesterday i got a txt from james hopkins who is leading the trials here in southampton asking me if i would like to talk to the hospital press offce then then it goes to the local press so iv said yes to itl:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucky you! That's a very impressive weight loss.

How about a little more info? Did you have to modify your diet? How did it effect your digestion (y'know, poop-wise...)? How were your energy levels effected? What effect has it had on the amount of medication you use?

And (if you don't mind, that is) how overweight were you before the operation?

Look forward to hearing back from you!

-Pat.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Two links about Endobarrier sleeve procedure.

http://www.healthierweight.co.uk/news-h ... r-comment/

This one is US based.

http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.co ... al-sleeve/

The EndoBarrier Gastrointestinal Liner is implanted and removed through the mouth without surgery. As such, it is part of a growing movement toward incision-free weight loss surgery. The device lines the upper part of small intestine. It the duodenum and the first part of the jejunum. This mechanical bypass may alter hormonal responses in the body, which result in metabolic changes that lead to weight loss and a potential solution for type 2 diabetes.

While some individuals may opt for the EndoBarrier as their sole method of weight loss, others may use it as a presurgical weight loss tool. In this scenario, the liner is used prior to weight loss surgery such as gastric bypass, gastric banding, duodenal switch or gastric sleeve. This may make the second, more radical surgery that much safer. The heavier you are, the more risky surgery can be.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I suppose if you have tried all the other ways to lose weight and had no success then surgery or this Endo Barrier would have to be an option. However I managed to lose over 5½ stone using just a low (reduced) carb/low fat diet without too much trouble at all. Shows how we are all different.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup - some people are fat because they eat too much (thy deserve to be fat/diabetic, right?) - some people are fat for other reasons...

For a lot of people, surgery (and now the Endobarrier) is last chance saloon. If a person can honestly say that they've tried diets for YEARS, with limited success - that person should be able to conclude that dieting doesn't work for them.

Ken - how many diets (regimens/lifestyle changes/etc...) had you been on in the past (prior to your 5 1/2 stone loss)? What kind of success did you have with those previous diets?

I suppose for those that were really overating in the first place, a suitable lifestyle change would work. But for those that gain weight easily, and hold their weight when dieting, that's not gonna be the case.

Looks to me like it all boils down to hormones - if dieting encourages a persons body to release/stop releasing the correct hormones for maintaining a healthy weight - GREAT! That's the easiest solution.

Fo some others , dieting will not encourage that hormone correction. And until they give us a pill that will do it (unlikely), procedures like the Endobarrier are the best option.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
Ken - how many diets (regimens/lifestyle changes/etc...) had you been on in the past (prior to your 5 1/2 stone loss)? What kind of success did you have with those previous diets?

Prior to diagnosis I wasn't on any sort of diet other than normal healthy food, although I admit I drank heavily. I was not overweight at 13 st and 6 ft and was as fit as a flea and did regular daily exercise as well as being extremely active at work.

When I was diagnosed with Diabetes at age 49 it was a complete shock to me. I was from then on put on the 'infamous' NHS/DUK Healthy diet. I followed that religiously right up until a few years ago. During that time I put on weight easily, got more complications and generally thought I was going to die young in my 50's ! Nice prospects !

Cut a long story short I then found that the source of all my problems was this 'healthy NHS/DUK' diet. Basically it was killing me.......

So I reduced all the carbs and became a low carber, probably no more than 30g per day, high fat. This was a concern to me as I had been warned that high fat was bad for me with my coronary history, triple by-pass, high BP, high Cholesterol. I gave it a whirl but found that the high fat was not good for me and neither did my weight drop significantly.

So I went back to low fat, LOW carbs using the glycaemic index coupled with the glycaemic load, in other words strict portion control. That method has served me well and allowed the weight loss as posted.

So, the number of diet regimes has really been only 2. One that was the cause of the problems and the other involving a reduction of carbs. Simple really. Never had to struggle since reducing the carbs, if I ever gain any weight I can usually lose it just as quickly by strict control. Just me I suppose but it works well.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How much do you weigh now? (I'm guesing not 7.5st) :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
14 st.......trying to get to 13st 6lbs by Spring time. Still in overweight category but I don't want to lose any more than that as people already are telling me I look fine as I am. Apparently my ideal weight is about 12 st !!! Never going to happen. I always had a bit of padding ! Was only like a stick insect until I was about 23yrs old. The extra weight came in useful when sitting on people !!!
:twisted:

What's your weight now then ?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
238lb. :(

Finding it more difficult to shift than ever now that I am on Insulatard. :(

ericp769

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gastric Sleeve

I saw an article in the daily mirror about a sleeve that was put over your intestine which slowed the speed that food was absorbed in to the body did any one else see it and is it a option that a type 2 diabetic could take

zanc

Since the endobarrier sleeve has been found to bring blood sugars down to normal in Type 2s why do I have to be fat to have the procedure done. I've been told by my nurse that i WILL get worse and that will probably go onto insulin before I die, so wouldn't this procedure be better for all Type 2s.

I did read somewhere that the sleeve had to be replaced every 6 months, so cost could be a serious issue.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I have been offered this band operation as well. I said that I absolutely do not want it and I also said the same on here when it was mentioned before. BUT when I went home I sat down and thought about it a bit more. When you have been overweight for all of your life/many years and you are at that age when losing weight becomes much harder, a helping hand in the form of this procedure is very much welcome. I am obese, partly due an underactive thyroid gland that's been undiagnosed for many years and partly due to comfort eating because of the abuse a person gets when they are obese. I have been called all the names under the sun from an early age in school, which carried on into adulthood and have been spat at by kids in the street booming insults at me... Anyone who is in the same boat as myself, knows how that feels and people who hound "us greasers", as many love to call overweight and obese people, should walk a mile in our shoes and experiance how it feels to be us. No one wants to be fat and no one wants to be insulted and spat at. I have worked VERY hard to lose 3 stone in weight, as have many others here, but I have still another 5 stone to lose and right now I am stuck. I have been told that Byetta will help with some weightloss as well as it curbs the hungrer feeling. I have been given 6 month to see how things go and if I am still stuck, I really am seriously thinking about accepting the offer of the endobarrier sleeve...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Eiche.

I think once you get on the Byetta and are also careful with diet and portion sizes you will find it should help lose those pounds. I lost over 5 1/2 stone on it and for me it turned my life around. It does what it says on the tin !!

Good luck and chin up. We are all here to help...... :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd snap their hands off if they offered it to me. If it helps control the BG AND shift the weight why the hell not?

Don't forget, it's not permanent - so you could have it in, lose the weight and get your BG under control, then go onto Byetta after the sleeve is removed, should you need it.

Although, I'd imagine that losing the excess weight, managing your BG properly, staying active (nothing motivates you to get active like losing a little weight!) and adopting a lo-carb (moderate carb, VLC, whatever...) would mean you could probably do without meds.

Good luck to you.

Eiche

Dislikes
I have to correct myself. I was offered a Gastric Band, NOT the Endobarrier Sleeve! The two seem to be two different things :lol:

I had an almost one hour talk about everything with my diabetes dietitien yesterday and she said the same as you just did cugila :) I haven't given up on me losing weight, I was a little diflated a few weeks ago when I stepped on the scales and had lost no weight at all. But as long as I am not putting more weight on I am somewhat happy ... for now :p
I've been more worried about getting my BG under control and I am well on the way of doing that thanks to Byetta and the rest of the pills I take (yuck).
Now it's time to concentrate once more on losing this weight one stone at a time and I will do it, no matter how long it takes.

As for the band, I say if you're offered this procedure, take it. It is not a quick fix though. You will still have to diet and exercise as before, but it will help a lot from what I have read/been told.
I was very much against it because of the things my best friend had told me, who had it done herself privately and had a lot of trouble with it. But I researched more and read a lot about and did find some horror stories, but the the way I see it, there are always good and bad experiences in everything. :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Given the option - I think the sleeve would be the way to go...

I'd like to see a side by side comparison of each procedure and see what the mechanism for weight loss/BG control are for each.

Eiche

Dislikes
I think this endobarrier sleeve sounds much more comforable then the gastric band... Might have to give the consultant a nudge when I see her next time :twisted:

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had endobarrier put in about 5 weeks as part of the London clinical trials (457th person in the world to have it!). It's put in as part of an endoscopy, so no surgery and nothing comparable to the months of problems you can have from surgery. However, it's still not an easy option and I'm starting to have problems with it.

My experience was this:
1. In and out the same day for procedure under general anasthetic.
2. First 24 hours - Hell. No voice, raw throat, bags and bags of abdominal pain and no sleep.
3. 2nd 24 hours, still damned painful, but feeling better.
4. By four days feeling almost totally normal. No appetite at all and forcing down the liquid meals you have to live on for the first week was difficult.
5. 2nd week. weight starting to really move - lost 10lbs in 6 days! Purée food a pain in the ar*e. No pain, very slight discomfort.
6 3rd and most of 4th weeks, more of the same. Total of 1st 2 lb lost, Feeling great. All the fatigue from diabetes nearly gone. Feel lighter and energetic. great. Weight loss really noticeable - dropped a clothes size.
7. Week 4 - start to hit problems. Massive acid reflux. They put you on a protein pump inhibitor as a matter of course - it's a know side effect. However, there is a an awful lot of abdominal bloating & discomfort. The worst part is that I know am awakened every night in terrible pain - acid burning through my back. Have to get up for at least an hour and walk around and take antacids. Not had a full nights sleep in 10 days. And a total stop of weight loss! Indeed I put on a pound, and this is on the sub-2000 calorie a day diet they recommend.

8. Next Monday - as this is NOT normal I'm having an examination and blood tests to see what's happening with the acid reflux.

If we can sort the acid reflux and pain then I'll be very happy to take up where I was 10 days ago with this; it was sweet as a nut.

scooby15

Hi Harriet
Just to say I too was one of the lucky ones, i had mine fitted two weeks ago! and weight loss so far is 10llbs I am a little concerned that my appetite is returning as i have had no solid food for two weeks! but by far the biggest joy is that my bms were in the high teens even on lots of meds and are now within single figures which i think is amazing it just shows that this procedure works as if i had just not eaten for a week my sugars would have increased so there is far more going on than just simply dieting. would love to compare experiences with you.
x