Oetzi's Last Meal Was 'alarmingly' High Fat.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Taken from the article
“Although the Iceman did not have to contend with processed food, there was a negative side to his diet. He already had signs of blocked arteries at the time of his death.”

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So on the one hand the report says he would have needed this high fat diet and that it constituted a more efficient fuel type (adaptation anyone?) and on the other hand it says the fat content was alarmingly high and caused blockages of the arteries. Poor fella couldn't do right for doing wrong. And it wasn't blocked arteries that caused his demise.

Considering that which we know today, is it not fair to say that when/if the diet heart myth is accepted by everyone then even archeoanthropologists may have to go back to the drawing board?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm. I wonder if the goat meat and fat were a type of pemmican. Which would certainly give the kind of dense energy needed for his mountain travels. As for speculating about his general eating habits, that is unwise.

We wouldn't make assumptions that a modern day mountaineer lived on dehydrated SpagBol wrapped in silver plastic, and Kendal Mint Cake, would we? They might be in his pack when he dies on the Matterhorn, but that tells us little about his daily life and food intake.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taken from the article
“Although the Iceman did not have to contend with processed food, there was a negative side to his diet. He already had signs of blocked arteries at the time of his death.”
Probably from the grains he had eaten.. or the toxic fern...
I think that by now every one knows that sat fat does not "clog" the arteries.. except of course for the Beeb...

Reactions: sally and james

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
From https://www.livescience.com/62689-otzi-iceman-mummy-heart-disease.html

Given that Ötzi wasn't overweight, didn't smoke tobacco, regularly exercised and likely didn't have a high-fat diet (at least by today's standards), it appears that his genes — and not his daily routine — explained his health condition.

"I suspect that lifestyle didn't play a major role in his development of plaque," Dr. Philip Green, an interventional cardiologist at New York-Presbyterian who wasn't involved with the study, told Live Science. Despite the suggestion that Ötzi go vegetarian, Zink sees it another way. "Compared to modern standards, he would not be considered as a risk patient," Zink told Live Science. "So, I think a different diet, such as vegetarian or vegan, wouldn’t have helped Ötzi."

There is no doubt Ötzi is one of the oldest cases of vascular calcification, and "a medical example showing that a genetic predisposition is probably the most important trigger factor for arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease," study co-researcher Patrizia Pernter, a radiologist at Bozen-Bolzano, said in a statement.