Confused Since Diagnosis

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just some suggestions off the top of this aged head:
If you like eggs, try omelettes with cheese/spinach/smoked salmon/mushrooms.
Oily fish will give you protein but few carbs. A prawn cocktail is low carb and shell fish is low carb too.
Home made veggy based soups - lots of possibilities. I've just enjoyed broccoli and stilton. And I also enjoy a chicken and leek (plus other veg) soup.
Add a FEW berries (rasps/strawberries or a few blueberries to your low sugar/carb jellies. Double cream with the jelly will help slow glucose uptake.
Salads - so many options but a good dressing helps. My wife makes wonderful salad dressing using olive oil, vinegar (malt, cider or balsamic) and grainy mustard. Salad veg can include rocket, lettuce, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, baby tomatoes halved, spring onion and if you fancy some thin slices of beetroot marinated in oil, vinegar and garlic. And of course avocado.
Quite a few suggestions here that seem to me outside a very low carb budget eg carrots, beetroot, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes.

Reactions: Flora123

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few suggestions here that seem to me outside a very low carb budget eg carrots, beetroot, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes.

I could happily budget for all of those foods in a very low carb way of eating.

Not all in one day, and not in large portions, but they could definitely figure.

I don’t see VLC as an existence of denial, exclusions and suffering. It is more like a subtle balancing act where we can learn to eat exceedingly well from a wide range of delicious foods.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m very low carb. Not counting exactly but very low. Can’t he more than 30g

Nice one!:)

Please don’t let anyone tell you that you SHOULD or SHOULDN’T eat a set amount of carbs (or anything else).

Your body and your diabetes is yours. Not anyone else’s.
If you are getting the readings you mentioned on the foods you are currently eating, then you are doing a fab job for so early in the game, and you are to be congratulated! :D

No doubt you, your body, and your chosen eating habits will change and evolve over time - which is perfectly natural. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could happily budget for all of those foods in a very low carb way of eating.

Not all in one day, and not in large portions, but they could definitely figure.

I don’t see VLC as an existence of denial, exclusions and suffering. It is more like a subtle balancing act where we can learn to eat exceedingly well from a wide range of delicious foods.
Anyone who sees beetroot as a delicious food has my respect. Personally, I am glad of the excuse to discontinue my dutiful efforts to find a way to stomach it!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone who sees beetroot as a delicious food has my respect. Personally, I am glad of the excuse to discontinue my dutiful efforts to find a way to stomach it!

beetroots taste the best chopped raw in tiny bits in whipped cream :) and it has a wonderful pink color to serve for children maybe with a few teaspoonfuls of sugar added, well no sugar in for us of cause, but try it with cream it tastes wonderful

Reactions: rhubarb73