Rh, Not For Newbies!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Usually when starting a new thread, the poster is either a confused newbie or someone who could have an idea that they have the condition. The only other poster is one who has been diagnosed but is still struggling with the symptoms despite medical advice.
So, this thread is about me.
I was diagnosed nearly five years ago, I have been in ketosis for four years and hypo free since my last eOGTT in 2014, I am in great health, my last diabetic review was very good or in my dsn opinion, perfect for a man of my age.
I did not achieve this on my own but by friendly help from this forum and by listening to my endocrinologist. I also had an inquisitive mind, I needed to know more about RH, so I scanned the internet, finding reports and research old and up to date. I did my own experimenting, my food diary is my bible of what foods to avoid.
I tried to convince myself that I could control my condition by diet alone. I believe that I have, despite intervention from and getting advice about endocrine conditions, Hypoglycaemia and why my body does what it does. The advice I got was contrary to all advice and my last eOGTT convinced me that being in ketosis was the way forward. For the last four years, I think I have done enough to convince anyone that it is working. And my endocrinologist is convinced and backs my treatment fully.
You see, my body is weird, I have a condition that has a weak initial insulin response to any carbs at all, so my blood glucose levels spike very quickly and quite high compared to the portion size of the total carbs, and of course how much protein and fat is in that particular meal. As the spike climbs, my trigger acts and in response to the high blood glucose levels, my pancreas over produces too much insulin, an overshoot of insulin, it's called. This will counter the glucose derived from the meal, and gradually lowers my blood glucose levels until I go into Hypoglycaemia. This is usually after three hours but others may be quicker or slower into hypo.
In my particular case, if I spike, I will hypo, the reverse is the key to unlock the best method of treatment for me.
No spike, no hypo!
As I've said, if I don't trigger the secondary insulin response, I don't spike and don't go hypo.
I have found diet alone will do this, if you are in ketosis, my body is in better health if I use ketones for energy, rather than glucose derived from carbs.
I fast intermittently, I found out after a hospital fasting test, that I can and feel good not eating all the time, I have found that not eating is better for me than regular normal times for meals, I please myself if and when I eat.
And I'm quite happy not having to always shop and plan all those recurrent meals every few hours, when first diagnosed. I still enjoy my food despite no carbs, I am a meat eater, and enjoy salad vegetables and of course, a good old English breakfast. Eggs every day and plenty in different ways. And of course my only dairy, full fat yoghurt with strawberries and chocolate, the higher percentage the better.
I cook food from fresh (not salad!) And freeze, no production sugars and no preservatives etc.

Exercise is important, how is crucial, because from my own experience, gentle exercise is the best option, because the last thing we want is our liver producing glucose, as this will cause a spike. I have found walking fifteen minutes for fifteen minutes after a meal will help with keeping your blood glucose levels in normal levels, swimming or gentle jogging is good, light resistance as well, if you have read any of my posts, I have a full time job, and look after my disabled type two wife as well. I have great energy and am only physically tired never mentally, my symptoms have gone. I am fit and healthy!
This condition is controllable, this condition is not a problem as long as you avoid the triggers, the foods that you are intolerant to.
Every sugar, starch, carb anything ending in 'ose, is to be avoided. Even those so called 'healthy', 'complex', staples should be banned from your diet, I have found a carb is a carb with RH! Regardless of labels, I still trigger an overshoot, I still go hypo.
I have battled the doctors, dsns, including an endocrinologist, who didn't have a clue or knew RH was a condition and not just symptoms. I have got my health back through control, through my hypo hell years, my misdiagnosis, the bad diets, the bad advice and the disbelief of others that doubt my sanity and my lifestyle.
This post is about my lifestyle, how it works for me, my balance of protein and fats, for me personally.

I am in complete control.
I have too much to lose, I'm not going back to my hypo hell, my eighteen stone, thirty eight waist and getting measured up for my coffin. Because that is where I was heading if my endocrinologist hadn't known and recognised the symptoms and did the tests necessary for a true diagnosis.

If you have RH, you can modify the condition to suit you, because we all have something else with it.
We have to treat it individually to your own dietary balance. I have mine.

Best wishes

Catkysydney

Usually when starting a new thread, the poster is either a confused newbie or someone who could have an idea that they have the condition. The only other poster is one who has been diagnosed but is still struggling with the symptoms despite medical advice.
So, this thread is about me.
I was diagnosed nearly five years ago, I have been in ketosis for four years and hypo free since my last eOGTT in 2014, I am in great health, my last diabetic review was very good or in my dsn opinion, perfect for a man of my age.
I did not achieve this on my own but by friendly help from this forum and by listening to my endocrinologist. I also had an inquisitive mind, I needed to know more about RH, so I scanned the internet, finding reports and research old and up to date. I did my own experimenting, my food diary is my bible of what foods to avoid.
I tried to convince myself that I could control my condition by diet alone. I believe that I have, despite intervention from and getting advice about endocrine conditions, Hypoglycaemia and why my body does what it does. The advice I got was contrary to all advice and my last eOGTT convinced me that being in ketosis was the way forward. For the last four years, I think I have done enough to convince anyone that it is working. And my endocrinologist is convinced and backs my treatment fully.
You see, my body is weird, I have a condition that has a weak initial insulin response to any carbs at all, so my blood glucose levels spike very quickly and quite high compared to the portion size of the total carbs, and of course how much protein and fat is in that particular meal. As the spike climbs, my trigger acts and in response to the high blood glucose levels, my pancreas over produces too much insulin, an overshoot of insulin, it's called. This will counter the glucose derived from the meal, and gradually lowers my blood glucose levels until I go into Hypoglycaemia. This is usually after three hours but others may be quicker or slower into hypo.
In my particular case, if I spike, I will hypo, the reverse is the key to unlock the best method of treatment for me.
No spike, no hypo!
As I've said, if I don't trigger the secondary insulin response, I don't spike and don't go hypo.
I have found diet alone will do this, if you are in ketosis, my body is in better health if I use ketones for energy, rather than glucose derived from carbs.
I fast intermittently, I found out after a hospital fasting test, that I can and feel good not eating all the time, I have found that not eating is better for me than regular normal times for meals, I please myself if and when I eat.
And I'm quite happy not having to always shop and plan all those recurrent meals every few hours, when first diagnosed. I still enjoy my food despite no carbs, I am a meat eater, and enjoy salad vegetables and of course, a good old English breakfast. Eggs every day and plenty in different ways. And of course my only dairy, full fat yoghurt with strawberries and chocolate, the higher percentage the better.
I cook food from fresh (not salad!) And freeze, no production sugars and no preservatives etc.

Exercise is important, how is crucial, because from my own experience, gentle exercise is the best option, because the last thing we want is our liver producing glucose, as this will cause a spike. I have found walking fifteen minutes for fifteen minutes after a meal will help with keeping your blood glucose levels in normal levels, swimming or gentle jogging is good, light resistance as well, if you have read any of my posts, I have a full time job, and look after my disabled type two wife as well. I have great energy and am only physically tired never mentally, my symptoms have gone. I am fit and healthy!
This condition is controllable, this condition is not a problem as long as you avoid the triggers, the foods that you are intolerant to.
Every sugar, starch, carb anything ending in 'ose, is to be avoided. Even those so called 'healthy', 'complex', staples should be banned from your diet, I have found a carb is a carb with RH! Regardless of labels, I still trigger an overshoot, I still go hypo.
I have battled the doctors, dsns, including an endocrinologist, who didn't have a clue or knew RH was a condition and not just symptoms. I have got my health back through control, through my hypo hell years, my misdiagnosis, the bad diets, the bad advice and the disbelief of others that doubt my sanity and my lifestyle.
This post is about my lifestyle, how it works for me, my balance of protein and fats, for me personally.

I am in complete control.
I have too much to lose, I'm not going back to my hypo hell, my eighteen stone, thirty eight waist and getting measured up for my coffin. Because that is where I was heading if my endocrinologist hadn't known and recognised the symptoms and did the tests necessary for a true diagnosis.

If you have RH, you can modify the condition to suit you, because we all have something else with it.
We have to treat it individually to your own dietary balance. I have mine.

Best wishes

Thank you very much for your very detailed story, @Lanont D !! You are so helpful !! Really great !! I sincerely appreciate your information! Very valuable !
Thank you very much for posting this !

Reactions: Lamont D and zand