Who Paid For This?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my word! That just isn't science, it's complete and utter rubbish. :mad:

Firstly I don't care what happens when you feed mice fat, I am not a mouse, so it doesn't mean the same thing will happen to me. I just wish they would leave the poor little things alone. They can experiment on me if they like. I'll eat 90% fat 3 % carbs and 7% protein for as long as they would like to monitor me. Of course they wouldn't do this because they don't want to find out that fat does not make you fat!

Secondly there are very many of us on this forum who have lost weight whilst eating....fat. That's a lot of anomalous results then :rolleyes: :banghead:

Please scientists….leave the mice alone. :(

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The Prof. himself states that this study on mice has its limitations, well Duh!

And I, too, can attest to its 'accuracy' by adding that I am on a high sat fat diet and am struggling to keep weight on.

P.S. To be perfectly honest that was as far as I got before the site crashed my Tablet.

Reactions: Rachox and zand

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not a mouse either! I never succeeded in loosing weight consistently on low fat diets. Strange I have lost nearly six stone by reducing my carbs drastically and not really worrying about how much fat I eat!

Hotpepper20000

„Professor Speakman says "A clear limitation of this study is that it is based on mice rather than humans.

Well I’m not the smartest person but even I knew this.:bored:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If you're interested you can go to this page http://johnspeakmanlab.weebly.com/ and download the PDF of the whole report. Even the researchers realised the limitations of their research, the number one being the inability of doing a similar trial with humans. They also discuss the fact that it was single sex (females only I think), a certain age and that they used 5 different strains of mice. As you know, mice are specially bread to be genetically near identical possibly with certain traits.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: sally and james

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Reminds me of the rabbit study that found if rabbits were fed a high cholesterol diet they developed heart and vascular disease,

Not surprising really as they are herbivores and their systems had not evolved to deal with such a diet.

Then they tried to equate this with humans that is if rabbits are fed such a diet they get ill and die there fore if humans eat the same sort diet they will get sick and possibly die.

Reactions: zand

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I think if I was a mouse in the trial I would have pooped in the scientist’s coco pops by now just as karma!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reminds me of the rabbit study that found if rabbits were fed a high cholesterol diet they developed heart and vascular disease,

Not surprising really as they are herbivores and their systems had not evolved to deal with such a diet.

Then they tried to equate this with humans that is if rabbits are fed such a diet they get ill and die there fore if humans eat the same sort diet they will get sick and possibly die.

If memory serves (and it often doesn't) it was a Japanese fella who discovered that the plant that he identified as having cholesterol lowering properties which led to the development of statin drugs was so toxic that at first it killed all of his animals.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If memory serves (and it often doesn't) it was a Japanese fella who discovered that the plant that he identified as having cholesterol lowering properties which led to the development of statin drugs was so toxic that at first it killed all of his animals.
I think his name was Akira Endo and he first synthesized the proto drug from Fungi.

The first active compound proved to have high toxicity to the kidneys I believe, not sure about his experimental animal subjects being killed off though.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"The results show diets with high "carbohydrates including up to 30% of calories coming from sugar had no effect" on weight gain.

Combining sugar with fat had no more impact than fat alone."

This would be hilarious if it wasn't sooooooo awful. If my rellies who I have been gently working on re the sugar intake and carbs and weight gain idea (re metabolic disease, you will not be surprised to hear me say) read this my gentle argument is done for! And worst of all - so is their continued ill health, in my extended family's case - from metabolic dysfunctions.

If only the sugar and fat combined not causing weight gain was TRUE! :(.

So dangerous they added the sugar bit in particular. I can see why the poster suggested gently that the food industry invested in low fat high sugar food is behind this.

Especially once you get to the final sentence, "So the evidence it provides is a good clue to what the effects of different diets are likely to be in humans."

Note to us all - you can eat up to 30% (I feel faint at that figure) of your energy intake from food from refined sugar, just keep eating those low-fat food products, and you.... won't get fat? Goodness gracious.

I do note that physical health is kept out of the article. We in this forum cannot help but make an association between fat and sugar combined in the diet, weight, and ill health. (I know I do! Type two diabetic than I am.)

Wouldn't it be great if the writers and the newspaper had said at the end of it, "Hey folks! Don't try this at home! This kind of diet the mice ate can kill you!"

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think his name was Akira Endo and he first synthesized the proto drug from Fungi.

The first active compound proved to have high toxicity to the kidneys I believe, not sure about his experimental animal subjects being killed off though.

It may have been the eastern european fella, my memory is getting worse.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It may have been the eastern european fella, my memory is getting worse.
He was Japanese he did the early work but some one else got the Nobel prize and also others made a lot of money from his discovery but he did not.

Reactions: DavidK59