Libre Shortage. Do I Have To Switch To Dexcom?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some time now I could only order two Libre sensors at a time, once every four weeks, and no new customers accepted, due to great demand. After my last order I got a mail that my order is on hold and that they will try to deliver three weeks after my order placement.
I still have a couple of spares, luckily, but I really hope they can up their production quick. I dread the thought of trying to tame my diabetes again with only finger pricks.

I've had a look at Dexcom, but it looks very expensive. Libre costs me 24x60 euro's a year, = 1440 euro's.
If I'm right Dexcom (G5, as 6 isn't available yet in the Netherlands) will work out as:
Transmitter goes 3 months, makes 4x310=1240 euro's
Sensors, supposed I can stretch their lives to 20 days or so which makes for 18 to 20 sensors a year. They are 4 pieces for 298 so I'll need 5 packages = 1490 euro's.

1490+1240=2730, give or take a bit, so about double what Libre costs. Does that seem right to you or am I missing something?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get longer out of the transmitter if you use either xDrip+ (Android) or Spike (iOS) rather than the Dexcom app which will shut the transmitter off even though it has plenty of battery life. It's difficult to know how long sensors will last as it seems to depend on the individual. I got 4-5 weeks from each. Might be worth checking if you can get a starter kit in NL.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get longer out of the transmitter if you use either xDrip+ (Android) or Spike (iOS) rather than the Dexcom app which will shut the transmitter off even though it has plenty of battery life. It's difficult to know how long sensors will last as it seems to depend on the individual. I got 4-5 weeks from each. Might be worth checking if you can get a starter kit in NL.
Tnanks! If I can get that to work it would be about the same as the Libre :) I still hope they can speed up their production, though, so it won't be necessary to switch.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have given up on the idea of obtaining the libre

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have given up on the idea of obtaining the libre
I'm already on the Libre for over a year (self-funded. Hey, who needs vacations, television, newspapers or heating in the kitchen or bathroom when they can instead have the Libre?) and I really don't want to do without it :(

Reactions: karen8967

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
After my last order I got a mail that my order is on hold and that they will try to deliver three weeks after my order placement.

This situation seems to change from day to day and from place to place. My last order just 3 weeks ago, took 3 days and on 23rd June, because I dropped and broke one of those sensors, I got one from my local Boots over the counter.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Search for a Superdrug with a pharmacy. £35 a sensor. I walked in and bought 6 Libre off the shelf in Newcastle. I was concerned they would not have plenty for others - no problem, I was told by the pharmacist. I’ll order this afternoon and we will have more delivered tomorrow - at the latest, the day after. You do not have to play the Abbott direct supply game.
https://www.superdrug.com/store-finder?

Reactions: Emj185

Adrian21

I can't find Spike in the Apple Store, any suggestions?

LucaD89

I really didn’t realise they were so expensive and I feel quite awful (although my diabetes has taken 11 years of my life already) I’m 29 and I’ve only just been granted the Libré on the NHS. I’m deeply sorry for the people that have to pay and I feel everyone should be treated with the same available technology for diabetes.
I hope this doesn’t make anyone angry or feel any hatred towards me, this is my first ever forum post/reply!
I want to tell you that I do have a lot of other problems and fibromyalgia so my quality of life has been limited, I am on an insulin pump but unfortunately I have hypoglycaemic unawareness :( so it’s hard!
Thanks.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can't find Spike in the Apple Store, any suggestions?
Because it’s not FDA etc approved, you have to access it direct from the programmer. Request it here: https://spike-app.com/ and download the TestFlight app from the App Store in the meantime as you’ll need that to access it. It’s a bit convoluted but gets around all the licensing needed for medical apps, it’s a “homegrown” app from within the T1 biohacker community.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really didn’t realise they were so expensive and I feel quite awful (although my diabetes has taken 11 years of my life already) I’m 29 and I’ve only just been granted the Libré on the NHS. I’m deeply sorry for the people that have to pay and I feel everyone should be treated with the same available technology for diabetes.
I hope this doesn’t make anyone angry or feel any hatred towards me, this is my first ever forum post/reply!
I want to tell you that I do have a lot of other problems and fibromyalgia so my quality of life has been limited, I am on an insulin pump but unfortunately I have hypoglycaemic unawareness :( so it’s hard!
Thanks.
Hello and welcome on the forum! I hope the Libre will make things a bit easier for you. I agree we all should be able to get Libre or whatever we need, but I'm still happy some people get them!
Good luck and all the best!

Reactions: LucaD89

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Search for a Superdrug with a pharmacy. £35 a sensor. I walked in and bought 6 Libre off the shelf in Newcastle. I was concerned they would not have plenty for others - no problem, I was told by the pharmacist. I’ll order this afternoon and we will have more delivered tomorrow - at the latest, the day after. You do not have to play the Abbott direct supply game.
https://www.superdrug.com/store-finder?
Thanks, but I'm not in the UK. As far as I know the only way to get them in the Netherlands is through Abbott.

LucaD89

Hello and welcome on the forum! I hope the Libre will make things a bit easier for you. I agree we all should be able to get Libre or whatever we need, but I'm still happy some people get them!
Good luck and all the best!

Thankyou very much for that, I’m glad people do understand and I hope you’re doing ok
All the best to you too

paul-g

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For some time now I could only order two Libre sensors at a time, once every four weeks, and no new customers accepted, due to great demand. After my last order I got a mail that my order is on hold and that they will try to deliver three weeks after my order placement.
I still have a couple of spares, luckily, but I really hope they can up their production quick. I dread the thought of trying to tame my diabetes again with only finger pricks.

I've had a look at Dexcom, but it looks very expensive. Libre costs me 24x60 euro's a year, = 1440 euro's.
If I'm right Dexcom (G5, as 6 isn't available yet in the Netherlands) will work out as:
Sensors, supposed I can stretch their lives to 20 days or so which makes for 18 to 20 sensors a year. They are 4 pieces for 298 so I'll need 5 packages = 1490 euro's.

1490+1240=2730, give or take a bit, so about double what Libre costs. Does that seem right to you or am I missing something?
Hi , I am currently on a Dexcom subscription which costs £160 per month . For this you recieve 4 transmitters ( will cover 12 months ) and 27 sensors . All my sensors last 2 weeks generally so you get 12 months coverage . I use my iphone / apple watch as my reciever . Reports can be generated using the web based Dexcom Clarity . The G6 is £159 per month for a full 12 months coverage which I will be switching to . The big plus for me is thats its a true CGM with no need to scan as I suffer night time hypos . Switched from Libre around 12 months ago as had too many failed sensors , put it down to low sub q tissue on the arm . No such issues with the G5 located at the waist .

Daniel 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I just want to say that even if you use the Dexcom receiver or phone app you can just turn the sensor back on after it goes off and two hours later it will work fine. I've experimented with three weeks and it was fine.
Daniel Boyarin

Reactions: Antje77

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
Perhaps we should all write to Theresa May and see if she can hurry things up with the postcode lottery! it really seems very unfair for it not to be subscribed when NICE has at last allowed it,

Annlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps we should all write to Theresa May and see if she can hurry things up with the postcode lottery! it really seems very unfair for it not to be subscribed when NICE has at last allowed it,

Yes - especially as she wears a libre herself

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . . . it really seems very unfair for it not to be subscribed when NICE has at last allowed it,

Diabetes isn't the only disease that isn't fully financed by the NHS. Multiple Sclerosis sufferers can receive the following therapies NOT financed by the NHS, but by charity, very helpful in improving their symptoms.

Physiotherapy
Oxygen Therapy
Hydrotherapy
Occupational Therapy
Acupuncture
Podiatry & Orthotics
Speech and Language Therapy
Complementary Therapies (Reiki, Reflexology)
Yoga

Should the NHS pay for everyone to have a Freestyle Libre? It would be nice but there seems to be a long list of other deserving people, probably with more life threatening conditions.