Auto-injectors For Injections

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
A friend takes one of those once a week injection of a T2D diabetes medications.
His beef is that he gets lots of bruising from this injection ( t"he horse needle") and wonders about use of an auto-injector.
Could such a device perhaps shoot or guide the syringe/needle in at ? 45 degrees or ? 90 degrees and steady the needle and syringe and thus reduce bruising?
My other reason for asking it that, being mechanically-minded, he is looking out for drill guides and other devices to adapt for use and I fear a Heath-Robinson contraption is in the making !! Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You could always try him with one of these:

hommedia.ashx

;)

Reactions: kitedoc

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Th

Thank you @tim2000s. I shall let him know of the brand and I hope it may be of use to others.
Sadly they don't make these anymore. These are Palmer injectors and by all accounts, scared the bejezuz out of young T1Ds in the 60s.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

hommedia.ashx

;)
AAARGH!!!!!!! My dad bought me one of these when I was around 10 years old and really struggling doing my jabs. Got it out of its black box and pulled the loading device back and pressed the trigger......"BANG!!!!!!!".......thought ****** that and put it back in the box. Dad came in from work and asked if I had used the gun yet? Not a chance! My dad said to me if I use it will you. Well my dad was my hero so I agreed. My dad was a big bloke 19 stone full of muscles ex para. He loaded the syringe and pulled it back (forgetting to adjust the depth part). Bang and my dad yelped, pretty loudly. The gun was never used again. I have that black box hidden away somewhere :) :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Sadly they don't make these anymore. These are Palmer injectors and by all accounts, scared the bejezuz out of young T1Ds in the 60s.
Defo not sadly. I think you mean thank god they don't make these anymore!!!
Not the bejezuz....... it frightened the S**T out of me......see above :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sani Thomas

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard of a device whereby you load the syringe, then put it into a little device and when you activate it (I can't remember how) then it delivers the needle and the injection. I'll see if I can find it again. It was on a forum re self injecting Vit B12.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
My parents (mainly mum) used this device in the 1970s thankfully (!) on my sister and not on me.
I shall enquire why her and not me not that I'm complaining but I do remember it and I think it was for buttock usage only.
My sister was diagnosed aged just 3 and me at the age of 6.

Happy times and places

Tony

PatB3031

My parents (mainly mum) used this device in the 1970s thankfully (!) on my sister and not on me.
I shall enquire why her and not me not that I'm complaining but I do remember it and I think it was for buttock usage only.
My sister was diagnosed aged just 3 and me at the age of 6.

Happy times and places

Tony
I remember my mum buying me one of these. I thought it was an implement of torture when I saw it. She thought it would be so helpfull. I seem to remember switching sites to the top of my legs about then! What memories.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have heard of a device whereby you load the syringe, then put it into a little device and when you activate it (I can't remember how) then it delivers the needle and the injection. I'll see if I can find it again. It was on a forum re self injecting Vit B12.
Thank you @Energize.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I remember my mum buying me one of these. I thought it was an implement of torture when I saw it. She thought it would be so helpfull. I seem to remember switching sites to the top of my legs about then! What memories.
Thank you @PatB3031 !

MartinSci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes this device was horrific. I was presented with it by my parents when I was very small. It was never used!
I presented it to my diabetes clinics some years ago for their archive. Best place for it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yes this device was horrific. I was presented with it by my parents when I was very small. It was never used!
I presented it to my diabetes clinics some years ago for their archive. Best place for it.
Thank you for your response !!

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

hommedia.ashx

;)
Am I the only person who actually liked these? I had a glass syringe with massive steel needle (only got 1 syringe and 1 steel needle which you used for years). I was very disappointed when I switched to disposable syringes in mid 1980's and found I could not use my gun with them.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Am I the only person who actually liked these? I had a glass syringe with massive steel needle (only got 1 syringe and 1 steel needle which you used for years). I was very disappointed when I switched to disposable syringes in mid 1980's and found I could not use my gun with them.
I have seen a brand called Decker and one other ? brand name. Neither had the hand grip though.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Yep you are the only mad/insane person on this forum to like this torture device :wacky::wacky:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Please, @porl69,
Unless you have tried one how would you know?
AAARGH!!!!!!! My dad bought me one of these when I was around 10 years old and really struggling doing my jabs. Got it out of its black box and pulled the loading device back and pressed the trigger......"BANG!!!!!!!".......thought ****** that and put it back in the box. Dad came in from work and asked if I had used the gun yet? Not a chance! My dad said to me if I use it will you. Well my dad was my hero so I agreed. My dad was a big bloke 19 stone full of muscles ex para. He loaded the syringe and pulled it back (forgetting to adjust the depth part). Bang and my dad yelped, pretty loudly. The gun was never used again. I have that black box hidden away somewhere :) :)

That's as close as I EVER want to get to 1 :)