What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Re asparagus - this is the first year we have been properly able to harvest this bed. We probably had some from mid April until today which I think is a record as dad grew it on this garden and this seems much later than we usually had any from him. @Goonergal thanks for the good wishes re MRI - positive in the sense that no life threatening issue but if I want any improvement I will need surgery. Doc not sure of how much if any improvement that would make as he is a physician not a surgeon. I will think about that before doing anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Re asparagus - this is the first year we have been properly able to harvest this bed. We probably had some from mid April until today which I think is a record as dad grew it on this garden and this seems much later than we usually had any from him. @Goonergal thanks for the good wishes re MRI - positive in the sense that no life threatening issue but if I want any improvement I will need surgery. Doc not sure of how much if any improvement that would make as he is a physician not a surgeon. I will think about that before doing anything.
Very pleased re: no life threatening issues! ;-)} I envy you on the aspgrass bed! (spelling I used to see when driving near Hop Pole: thought you might find it amusing!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Kingmidas I’m very impressed at your 1/4 cookie! Looks like you’ve made a great start.

@Brunneria your post made me laugh yet again- my recipe bookshelf contains trusted favourites like Delia and Jamie Oliver, and you have the official World of Warcraft recipe book!!!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Suffolk gal

@Suffolk gal Welcome and sorry to hear of your fraught weekend and problems finding food to suit you. I hope you are pleasantly surprised by the course tomorrow,
The carbs course was very informative. I subsequently bought a carbs counting book which I refer to at each meal time in an effort to cut down on carbs. I'm still struggling to know if I'm eating better though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Kingmidas I’m very impressed at your 1/4 cookie! Looks like you’ve made a great start.

@Brunneria your post made me laugh yet again- my recipe bookshelf contains trusted favourites like Delia and Jamie Oliver, and you have the official World of Warcraft recipe book!!!
Haha!
I only just gave the book to Mr B. We have both been playing WoW for years.

But I have to say many recipes in it look excellent for GF Low Carbing. Will let you know how they go...

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha!
I only just gave the book to Mr B. We have both been playing WoW for years.

But I have to say many recipes in it look excellent for GF Low Carbing. Will let you know how they go...

I like the sound of the Dragon Breath Chilli. My daughter bought us some very hot chillies back from her travels recently so we need to look out some good recipes.
She also bought me back handmade ginger soap but unfortunately it smells like gorgonzola!

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Moggely

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I have been lurking for 4 months as i couldn't find out how to get in. Not computer savvy at all. Anyway i just wanted to say hi. I eat only twice a day so here goes. Had a piece of my own home made bread made with almond flour with cheese topping. Night time meal was chicken with broccoli and cauliflower mash. I was diagnosed in February this year so everything i have learnt was from this forum. Thank you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. New to the forum. I have been lurking for 4 months as i couldn't find out how to get in. Not computer savvy at all. Anyway i just wanted to say hi. I eat only twice a day so here goes. Had a piece of my own home made bread made with almond flour with cheese topping. Night time meal was chicken with broccoli and cauliflower mash. I was diagnosed in February this year so everything i have learnt was from this forum. Thank you.
Welcome @Moggely. The menu looks good and baking your own bread is really helpful. I look forward to more posts from you.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, glad you found the door, so to speak, and are now in. This thread is a good one to follow, we are a friendly group who motivate, support and generally cheer each other on, we also share some great menu ideas.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all just got back in and dinner not ready but wanted to let you all know my cholesterol news! I got my results back online at 3pm but couldn’t post then so here they are will list all so can see progress
Total cholesterol May 13.7, June 10.85, July 12th 7.54
HDL ( the good stuff) May 2.3, June 2.2, July 2.47
LDL May not recorded, June 8.1, July 4.56
Trigs May not recorded, June 1.21, July 1.12
Non HDL cholesterol May 11.4, June 8.65, July 5.07
Ratio which should be under 4 to be in healthy range: may 6, June 4.93, July 3.05
So it really is all going in right direction HDL up, ldl way down and Trigs slightly lower and ratio much lower and now in healthy range! Celebrations tonight
Now of course I don’t know if it’s what I did or if it would have naturally fallen anyway but will carry on for next month the way I am so that I can guarantee my nhs test looks better!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all just got back in and dinner not ready but wanted to let you all know my cholesterol news! I got my results back online at 3pm but couldn’t post then so here they are will list all so can see progress
Ratio which should be under 4 to be in healthy range: may 6, June 4.93, July 3.05
So it really is all going in right direction HDL up, ldl way down and Trigs slightly lower and ratio much lower and now in healthy range! Celebrations tonight
Now of course I don’t know if it’s what I did or if it would have naturally fallen anyway but will carry on for next month the way I am so that I can guarantee my nhs test looks better!
Aww I’m so pleased for you, excellent results, well done.
As you say not sure how the results came about but that doesn’t matter today, celebrate and bask in the glow of success :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. @shelley262 good news about the cholesterol results, you must be pleased your actions are working. Lo dough box arrived today so tried a wrap for lunch. Intriguing texture but no unpleasant taste or mouthfeel. Menu below:
6.20 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk
7.30 - 1 pint Kenco Americano decaf with Arla lactofree single cream, Inulin and Da Vinci sugar free vanilla (had the syrup hanging about from way back; needs to go)
8.25 Toasted keto mug bread muffin with butter; 36 mins walk
10.45 2 pints Lemon tea
13.30 Lo dough wrap - Cheese, lettuce, tomato, spring onion, mayo; 2 radishes as a side dish; water These will work when travelling and probably be cheaper than anything at a motorway services even if they sold anything LC; 30 mins cycle
15.45 High fibre chocky bar; extra thick Jersey double cream; Filter coffee, inulin, sweetener, Arla lactofree single cream
19.10: Flat iron steak, mushrooms and salad; Water; Glass of Malbec
Steak had 2 hrs in the sous vide then finished on the griddle. Cheap steak came up really tender - sous vide is living up to its promise and the vacuum sealer is exceptionally useful.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Excellent news @shelley262 really pleased for you. Totally deserved with all the effort you’ve been putting in.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Welcome @Moggely - look forward to seeing your posts.

Appetite continues to normalise. Didn’t get to a 23/1 fast, but got to 2.30pm before needing to eat.

Lunch - grabbed M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos en route to physio

Dinner - chicken leg with cauliflower cheese followed by 8 raspberries and extra thick double cream and a few squares of 85% chocolate. Haven’t eaten many veggies recently and the cauliflower tasted really sweet. @Brunneria have you found that when dipping back into vegetables?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Welcome @Moggely Haven’t eaten many veggies recently and the cauliflower tasted really sweet. @Brunneria have you found that when dipping back into vegetables?

Not really. I haven't ever lost my capacity for sweet things - because still eating very dark chocolate and the occasional homegrown strawberry.

But what I have noticed is the strength of flavour that some veg has. Onion is unbearably intense, and the smell of cooking broccoli or cauliflower is quite stomach turning. Odd, because I used to love all of those. Now I would avoid them because of the smell alone! lol.

It seems like whenever we eat out, some mad person in the kitchen has decided that the Next Best Trendy Gimic is to dice up a raw red onion and scatter the fragments all over my perfectly good side of beef or haunch of venison. I spend more time picking bits of onion off my steak than I spend eating the meat. :hilarious: and yet I STILL get the taste of onion lingering hours after I finished the meal...

Today has been:

1pm goatmilk yog with a dash of added cream
5.30pm mixed grill of steak, gammon, chicken breast and 2 eggs. Left the very suspiciously processed sausages, the peas. Mr B took 2 onion rings and half a grilled tomato. Ate 5 chips, and regretted it.

New dishwasher arriving tomorrow. Praise Be.

Most of the Dragon Breath Chilli has gone into the freezer. Do spices and chillis intensify after freezing?
If so, we are in trouble. :wacky:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. I haven't ever lost my capacity for sweet things - because still eating very dark chocolate and the occasional homegrown strawberry.

But what I have noticed is the strength of flavour that some veg has. Onion is unbearably intense, and the smell of cooking broccoli or cauliflower is quite stomach turning. Odd, because I used to love all of those. Now I would avoid them because of the smell alone! lol.

It seems like whenever we eat out, some mad person in the kitchen has decided that the Next Best Trendy Gimic is to dice up a raw red onion and scatter the fragments all over my perfectly good side of beef or haunch of venison. I spend more time picking bits of onion off my steak than I spend eating the meat. :hilarious: and yet I STILL get the taste of onion lingering hours after I finished the meal...

Interesting. I’m eating a lot of very dark chocolate (gone from finding it bitter to finding anything under 90% quite sweet), but getting to the point that only dark green veg taste like veg!

Interesting about the intensified flavours too.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Celebrating tonight re my improved cholesterol and then tomorrow celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary - well I was 19 and at end of my first year at university - my OH is a few years older and had his graduation ceremony the day before. This was in Scotland and It was the summer of 1975 ...... where did that time go? Went swimming at my friends outdoor pool today this morning - lovely. Intending to try and build this in once a week throughout the summer it’s very good for me.
Breakfast one 97% pork sausage and fried egg
Lunch tin mackerel in olive oil and four seeded LC crispbreads followed by four 100% cocoa buttons
Dinner bolognese sauce with one slice LC bread with garlic butter with large glass of red ( which I’m sure is cholesterol and bg lowering !) followed by one scoop of oppo salted caramel and one scoop of oppo chocolate and hazelnut ice cream served with dash of double cream yummy what a celebration.......
No caring tomorrow having a planned break we are off out for day to Bridgnorth a nearby market town for a mooch and lunch out and then a local hostelry we can walk to and back from for dinner in the evening. So food report may be later!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Celebrating tonight re my improved cholesterol and then tomorrow celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary - well I was 19 and at end of my first year at university - my OH is a few years older and had his graduation ceremony the day before. This was in Scotland and It was the summer of 1975 ...... where did that time go?
@shelley262 Congratulations on 43 years of marriage and have a great day tomorrow. Also, food reports on a 43rd wedding anniversary - falls into the life's too short to stuff a mushroom category:angelic: