pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent numbers, re question current A1C and pre diabetic?? good question, but also not an easy question to use as guide, I give example...

"Once I had first A1C 8.1% this turned out to be lab error only after I asked for recheck! for fact it was discordant with normal finger prick levels it registered against this 8.1% 108mg/dl average sugars!?? Normally 8.1% is around 186mg/dl, hence I hounded "the system", to double check, told ignore don't take notice, I did not ignore as you can imagine.

Then I have have A1C that is 6.5% i.e. with 146mg/dl average sugars?? but Spain views 6.5% as DIABETIC RANGE, BUT new Zealand my home view 6.5% as pre diabetic

Keep in mind, I am labelled one country Diabetic and the other Pre diabetic....

Recent A1C 5.5% showed average of 108mg/dl average sugars the SAME as an A1C of 8.1%??????

Its where do we go, perhaps, whether we are pre something that may or may not happen situation, or Diabetic, if the numbers are good i.e. on the normal levels, that's wonderful.

Currently my last A1C 5% showed average levels sugar equating to this 5% as 186mg/dl oh my goodness so do I presume A1C is typographical error again i.e. should be 8% or do I just ignore again as Doc says, for fact, all my
finger testing numbers for 13 months have been totally normal range, consistently, daily and three monthly intervals, i.e.
fasting 84mg/dl 2 hour after eat 82, random anytime after breakfast 86mg/dl and even same one number up or down
either way even testing in June, and then again Sept, so its not just a matter of a good day or a LUCKY day all showing good, its consistently the same, real blood finger test.

the question I have is how reliable is A1C errors x 1 confirmed possibly two and discordant average blood sugars against the result of A1C leave a lot to be desired, but that's only my own experience.

Bewildering and in wonderment, I take the results any with a pinch of salt and if I am up one day higher on fasting, but majority is lower 2hr and random, I view the majority over the one higher, same if its 2hr higher, but fasting and random normal levels, always I take the majority.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I have only just returned to the board, my hbc thing is 41, so one point off pre-diabetes, but I have tested 2 hrs after weetabix and it is 8.7 which I believe is pre-diabetic.

Reactions: Prem51

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but new to all of this so apologises in advance.

After a HbA1c of 43 I was told I was pre-diabetic about a year ago but have not really done anything about it. Recently after buying a monitor and started taking readings I have been taking things more seriously. I have lost 6lbs in the last 4 weeks although I am not too over weight anyway. My fasting readings are usually between 5.6 -5.8 and after meals below 6.8 within 2 hours [except when I have chips or teacakes?]. I have re-started exercises [which I have done pretty much all my life but stopped 6 months ago due to a knee injury].

I have, after reading articles and postings on this forum reduced Carbs and this is a problem for me I think because twice now in the last 10 days whilst doing aerobic exercise [about 10 minutes in] I start feeling weird. The first time I took my blood sugar and it was 3.5/ rechecked and it was 3.2 so had some milk and after 15 minutes was 5.7. Today it happened again but this time 2.9/recheck 2.6 and 15 minutes later after milk and some chocolate 4.7. It is really worrying me. I had for lunch 2 hours earlier of 3 slices wholemeal bread, 2 eggs and a banana and so would have thought my sugars would not have been too low before exercising [but did not check and perhaps I need to].

The first time it happened I cut my 30 minute aerobic session into two 15 minutes sessions 4 hours apart and I thought that was it cured. I never have a problem with the morning session.

To be honest I am really confused - on the one hand I want to exercise and I have been told by many this is the route to avoid diabetes but the exercise is lowering blood sugar too much so I have to wonder if I am diabetic at all? People say avoid carbs but this seems to be creating problems for me. I just don't understand what I need to do from here.

Any advice/ suggestions much appreciated.

I was in remission at Christmas from PreDiabetes my Hba1C was 39 yippee! , I was following a diet with Slimming World but without the 'as much fruit as you like' and very little sweets or chocolate . I CANNOT do low carb as I have had similar 'spells' like you said you had feeling weird . Balanced diet with less carbs but not very low carb is best for me . But sticking to that even is difficult as I'm BACK here again as my recent Hba1C was 43 , higher than ever . All the Best with working out a new diet for yourself ~ Pre-Diet .

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone ( you seem to be a whole new lot of people) Back here again after having an out of control spring , this morning though I am 5.6 !!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do people check the moment they wake up or just before they eat breakfast? Sometimes it can be at least 90mins between getting out of bed and eating for me
Both. I check immediately after getting out of bed & going to the loo. That I count as my fasting bg. It can be compared to my fasting bg on other days, whereas once I am up and around my activity level may vary from day to day, which may affect bg. I too sometimes leave quite a gap between that fasting bg and breakfast. In that case, I usually retest before eating. I find that my bg has often gone up or down during that time. If that first fasting bg is under 5.0, which is quite low for me, I often have at least a hot drink with cream to set me on until my proper breakfast. On the other hand, if my pre-breakfast reading is above 5.0 I will not include many g carbs in my breakfast.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the exercise is lowering blood sugar too much
If you are really experiencing hypos, that suggests that the diagnosis of pre-T2 is incorrect. IMO you should take the record of these readings to your doctor.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 this morning but I'd had a sip of coffee with 0% syrup in it ?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Wonder if the heat is affecting people's BG levels?

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if the heat is affecting people's BG levels?
I don't think the heat is affecting my BGLs but I'm sure the lack of exercise is! On very hot days when I spend time just getting out of the sun, I find my BG is about 0.5 or so higher than I would expect. Must be cause I'm not burning up that darn glucose.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 had a sweet dessert yesterday but otherwise was strictly on plan

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good morning all,
This is my first post on this section, Im really please we have a new section, as this will helpful of us to take tips from each other.

Diagnosed about two months ago with Prediabetes at 42mmols.
GP said not to test and to eat normally for another year and to be tested then.
Iv took not notice bought the BG meter recommended,and have been testing, and generally doing a low carb diet at 50 carbs,
I been offered a place on a 18 week course, but after three weeks stopped going as It was rubbish. I informed the GP and herd nothing back

You BG levels appear to be a lot lower than mine,
AM 5.5 to 7.6
the rest of the day anywhere between
5.5 and 9.1
Still Im only a beginner so lets hope things improve.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Duh 7.2 this morning , didn't eat much all day yesterday then big meal with rice , rice?

Last edited: