Long Haul Flight

Bobe123

Hi
Next week I will be traveling to Thailand with my family. This will be the first time traveling as a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. The journey does have a slight stop over, but was asking for any advice.
Many thanks

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take your meds., glucose tablets, jelly babies or similar and your test kit in your hand luggage or pockets. You may want to take a couple of muesli bars as longer acting back up. Test if you feel odd and treat it appropriately. I have not had any problems with diabetes on flights but always carry the above. Make sure the meds you carry are sufficient for your stay plus, say a few days extra just in case of delays. Declare T2 on your holiday insurance.

Have a good time.

Reactions: Prem51

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed back in October 2017 and currently manage by blood glucose by diet - lo carb/healthy fats. I fly a fair bit of long haul and try to avoid airplane food where I can. I take nuts (almonds, walnuts and brazils) as snacks and make sure I eat a decent lo carb meal before departure. I test before and after meals to make sure BG is under control.

Thanks to a lot of good fortune I have been able to access lounges prior to flights which has been good from a food perspective.

I try to be good and avoid alcohol on board but sometimes it is hard. I also make sure I drink lots of water.

The biggest problem I seem to have is jet lag and my body adapting to the new time zone. My BG can be all over the place for the first few days after arriving at my destination and then arriving home - and that does not appear to be food related.

It is probably worth mentioning what meds, if any, you are on to get better advice for your circumstances. :)

Reactions: Prem51 and flexi06

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Agree with @TonyHancock .

I’m also diet controlled - Keto - and the main issues for me when travelling have been airline food and my body adjusting to time zones. I eat a good meal in the airport and carry foods with me - nuts, pork crackling and so on. Be sure to declare any foods on arrival - commercially packaged nuts were deemed ok on arrival in the US, but the packaged pork crackling was taken off me: if it had been found undeclared, could have been a fine.

Bloods are usually a bit off from normal - and not related to what I eat, so just keep testing and eating as you do at home and they should work themselves out as your body adjusts. I also find that my appetite goes a bit awry - again should sort itself out, so don’t panic.

Have a great trip!

Bobe123

Take your meds., glucose tablets, jelly babies or similar and your test kit in your hand luggage or pockets. You may want to take a couple of muesli bars as longer acting back up. Test if you feel odd and treat it appropriately. I have not had any problems with diabetes on flights but always carry the above. Make sure the meds you carry are sufficient for your stay plus, say a few days extra just in case of delays. Declare T2 on your holiday insurance.

Have a good time.
Many thanks for help, really appreciated

Bobe123

I was diagnosed back in October 2017 and currently manage by blood glucose by diet - lo carb/healthy fats. I fly a fair bit of long haul and try to avoid airplane food where I can. I take nuts (almonds, walnuts and brazils) as snacks and make sure I eat a decent lo carb meal before departure. I test before and after meals to make sure BG is under control.

Thanks to a lot of good fortune I have been able to access lounges prior to flights which has been good from a food perspective.

I try to be good and avoid alcohol on board but sometimes it is hard. I also make sure I drink lots of water.

The biggest problem I seem to have is jet lag and my body adapting to the new time zone. My BG can be all over the place for the first few days after arriving at my destination and then arriving home - and that does not appear to be food related.

It is probably worth mentioning what meds, if any, you are on to get better advice for your circumstances. :)

Bobe123

Many thanks, for all the info. Will check out my BG once I arrive and wont be surprised about them being a bit all over the place.

Bobe123

Hi. Agree with @TonyHancock .

I’m also diet controlled - Keto - and the main issues for me when travelling have been airline food and my body adjusting to time zones. I eat a good meal in the airport and carry foods with me - nuts, pork crackling and so on. Be sure to declare any foods on arrival - commercially packaged nuts were deemed ok on arrival in the US, but the packaged pork crackling was taken off me: if it had been found undeclared, could have been a fine.

Bloods are usually a bit off from normal - and not related to what I eat, so just keep testing and eating as you do at home and they should work themselves out as your body adjusts. I also find that my appetite goes a bit awry - again should sort itself out, so don’t panic.

Have a great trip!

Bobe123

Have a good time.