Viscous Cycle Of Missing Injections, Then Getting Back On Track, To Lose Weight

type1gabs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to lose weight (im 145lb) and i swear being diabetic its harder to shift the pounds! Problem is i get into a viscous cycle of 'oh ill run high a little' as that does work very quickly and effectively. I then feel bad and not well, and then get in control of my sugars again to only put loads of weight on!

Its really getting to me - i only eat around 30-50g carb a day and i am very active, i do yoga, lift a little and currently training for the great north run half marathon. Ive also been type 1 for 24 years (im 25), plus i know how dangerous missing injections is and the complications that can arise - so please dont lecture me on that!

Ive previously sufferered with diabuleima and was on antidepressants but now im not and been cleared of my.eating disorder :) sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to get back on track

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice? Thank you in advance!

Xx

Reactions: Becca6510

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had burn out.
Are you not taking injections only because of fear of adding weight or are you fed up of doing injections?
Once you know why you're doing these actions then undoing is far easier.

I hear your desperate to lose weight. Have you always felt that way? Even when not overweight or are you constantly overweight?

K

Knikki

I don't know your size, body shape etc if your 3ft 2in then 145lbs is probably over weight but if your 6ft 6in then I would say that your under weight. Example if your like my OH then she is around 5ft11 wide hips small up top and hovers around the same sort of weight and she looks fab, you could be the same ?

From your post you are obviously very active training and yoga, it could be that this is your weight and that no matter what you do it will always stay around there and you wont shift it.

Personally I'm not in favour of the very low carb diet but that is me and I'm not got argue otherwise.

You obviously know the pit falls of trying to use insulin to control/loose weight and sorry, it is just not worth the risk to your long term health. Life if awesome and there is so much to do.

That did sound like a lecture, sorry it was not meant to be :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found low carbing useful losing weight on insulin but I'm a type2 and highly insulin resistant.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @type1gabs
welcome to the forum :)

That is a great and very honest post............. I was wondering if perhaps you could use some ongoing support from other people that know what you are going through "to stay on track"

There is a great group called DWED.org.uk run by people that have had Diabulemia
Perhaps have a look at their website .

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Only 30-50g of carbs but how many fats and proteins. If you are eating more kJ than you use it is quite possible to pile weight on.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks - Please be aware of the additional rules in place in this part of the Forum, relating to Eating Disorders. They can be found here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-disorders-sub-forum-additional-rules.122226/

@type1gabs - I'm not T1, but did have an ED that really got a hold of me, in my late 20s, so I do completely understand the longevity and looping nature of the road to recovery and maintenance.

I know when I might sometimes find myself considering the less healthy options (for me), I used to try to set myself a very brief goal of "not today", or the like, then repeating as necessary. Making a forever goal isn't a practical coping mechanism, and other things change in our lives anyway.

If it's any consolation, whilst undergoing treatment, and discussing this very thing with the spychiatrist, he "reassured" me that as we move through life, our potential addictions/destructive behavours change, so it would pass, given time.

Given the passage of time, I'm pleased to say he was right about things passing, but I'm still waiting for the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

It takes a strong person to move on from self-destructive behaviours, so take that to heart. One foot in front of the other and repeat.

jacqfromdwed

DWED Support
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I would say that if you have suffered with Diabulimia in the past then you need to be super, super careful and it might be worthwhile trying to see a psychologist or the like now to head off any potential issues. If you have been recently diabulimic it may be that you are still suffering potential after affects and your body needs time to readjust and get back to a normal metabolic state which wont be helped by intermittent relapse,

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I’m posting a link here that discusses eating disorders and type 1 which I hope can explain clearly why insulin is not the enemy in regards to gaining weight:

Reactions: Torrianna