Confused About Correction Dose Calculation

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw my consultant today and he told me I may need to ad a correction dose of insulin if my levels are high before I have my meal. So I usually tale about 4-5 units wi th my meals. He said for example if my levels were 17 before (Which sadly they were one day last weel) then my target is to get it to 7 so half that and add that amount of units on top of my usual 4_5 units.
I've probably got it all wrong and came away confused .
Can anyone help clear this up and explain I easy terms. X

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So you are using 1u drops 2mmol?
Bg is 17 want to get to 7 means you want to drop 10mmol. Using 1u drops 2 that’s an extra 5u.
If bg is 10 and want to get to 7 then that’s 3mmol difference. Half that means an extra 1.5u.
Or can you call and get them to explain if you’re confused?

Reactions: Struma

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So you are using 1u drops 2mmol?
Bg is 17 want to get to 7 means you want to drop 10mmol. Using 1u drops 2 that’s an extra 5u.
If bg is 10 and want to get to 7 then that’s 3mmol difference. Half that means an extra 1.5u.
Or can you call and get them to explain if you’re confused?
Thank you. Yes that does sound how he was explaining it. My consultant is not the most approachable so I didn't feel comfortable asking him to explain more which I know i should. I'm.going to see about changing to see someone else.

Appreciate your help

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Thank you. Yes that does sound how he was explaining it. My consultant is not the most approachable so I didn't feel comfortable asking him to explain more which I know i should. I'm.going to see about changing to see someone else.

Appreciate your help
Hi @Rosieroo , if you have a meter it might be worth testing quite often as sometimes the ratios aren't exact. I hope you soon fine a more approachable consultant, do you have a DSN who could help?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Appreciate your help
Have you been on a course for carb-counting? It seems many people on here have. Maybe that would help you. With your level being 17 before eating, something doesn't seem right about your doses. Good luck, hope things will get better for you soon!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and do you test 2 hours after eating as well? That will tell you a lot about the doses you need for a particular meal!