The Struggle Continues

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a constant struggle to manage my mental health and diabetes at any same time without one of them suffering. To cut a long story short, and after missing some injections, I agreed with diabetes nurse to take novorapid 6/6/6 and tresiba 24. I'm testing as best as I can til I see them on Friday but levels haven't been extremely bad. Yesterday 13.2, 7.0, 8.7, 7.7.
it's all I can manage at the moment considering I don't want to take it at all

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @diabetic12yrs. Very difficult situation to be in I imagine. Your bloods are not too bad to be honest. I have had MUCH worst days :). Very important to be taking your insulin and to be eating and testing regular. Fingers crossed your DSN will come up with a plan for you when you see her on Friday. Until then keep your head up, you are doing pretty good at the moment

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.. Fluctuating blood sugars can also make mental health issues way worse so it's a vicious circle! But your readings seem to be pretty good so you're doing really well managing to keep them so stable when you're feeling like this!

Have you considered going on a pump?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's a constant struggle to manage my mental health and diabetes at any same time without one of them suffering. To cut a long story short, and after missing some injections, I agreed with diabetes nurse to take novorapid 6/6/6 and tresiba 24. I'm testing as best as I can til I see them on Friday but levels haven't been extremely bad. Yesterday 13.2, 7.0, 8.7, 7.7.

Well done, that's not too dissimilar to me to be honest, and I don't have any mental health issues. Sounds like you may need to tweak your basal slightly but those results are not bad at all. Just keep taking each day as it comes and hopefully your improved blood sugars will make you feel better mentally as well. Lots of virtual hugs and moral support from the forums.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are doing well, as your readings are good, keep it up. I went through a spell of not wanting to take my insulin as well. so keep doing what you are doing. It is difficult whilst struggling with your mental health, but one step at a time.

Take care.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @diabetic12yrs I agree with others your readings look pretty good, so try not to get down about this.

I know we are given targets but they are just that, don't judge yourself on this, they also look pretty stable, if you were bouncing high/low throughout the day then this would impact on your mood. As Ellie said take it one day at a time.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @diabetic12yrs,
Considering how mental health, stress etc affects blood sugar levels congratulations. As you settle into this regime (vis The KISS principle = Keep It Sweet and Simple) BSLS might well settle further, fingers crossed.
This is the first, "new" step. Pause maybe and look for the second step when you and your DSN think you are ready, to refine things a tad more IF NEEDED.
Diabetes is a bit like the game snakes and ladders, we move forward and up in improvement sometimes we slide down a bit, move on a plateau before up again. Enjoy all the ups and steady improvements and the peace of mind, minimise the downs where possible. We need to remember to smell the roses along the way!!!
Best Wishes and please keep posting us on your journey

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Please don't beat yourself up over fluctuating levels as this happens to us all.
I'm an old hack of 44 years a type 1.
If you set targets of constant 5s or 6s then you will be disappointed.
Have a look through the forum thread "type 1 stars r us" to see how we manage a sometimes impossible condition.

If you are feeling low keep posting on here because we all want to help.

Wishing you the very best

Tony

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The others have already said everything I’d have said, especially about your blood sugars being pretty good already and avoiding the tyranny of targets, so I’m sending you hugs, lots of hugs.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi
Please don't beat yourself up over fluctuating levels as this happens to us all.
Have a look through the forum thread "type 1 stars r us" to see how we manage a sometimes impossible condition.

Tony
Hi @Tony337, what is this 'old hack' business ? - 'well-rounded', 'eminently experienced", 'well renowned' is what we are !!

Reactions: RAPS_od and Tony337

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi @Tony337, what is this 'old hack' business ? - 'well-rounded', 'eminently experienced", 'well renowned' is what we are !!

I'm older greyer and grumpier but not noticeably any wiser so "old hack" is kind in comparison to miserable old bar steward.......which is what I often get called...;)

Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I'm older greyer and grumpier but not noticeably any wiser so "old hack" is kind in comparison to miserable old bar steward.......which is what I often get called...;)
I like the self humour, but we cannot let the young belittle us too much. We still need to show we count ( as in we still matter and have pearls of wisdom to cast out to adoring fans and acolytes).).

Reactions: RAPS_od

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those levels are pretty good. This forum has been great for showing me that even long serving T1s have days where their BG levels are all over the place so there's no point in getting stressed about it!

Reactions: Prem51 and isjoberg

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Tony

I'm an old bird and I get fed up too. I have found it really difficult with the heat, staying stable has been hard work. Like others have said, just pat yourself on rhe back because you are trying and if you need to keep moaning to us. That's how we get through

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't get a grip on things. The only injection I'm managing to take now is Tresiba in the evening. I'm under alot of stress

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I can't get a grip on things. The only injection I'm managing to take now is Tresiba in the evening. I'm under alot of stress

Good morning
I've been off/away for a week on holiday...

How are you ?

Tony

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @diabetic12yrs Apologies I missed your last post.

How are you going at the moment ?

I remember a friend telling me last year about managing your lot when living with type 1, we all have a mental cup which we carry around with us, even without type 1 we still have to manage other life stresses, so work, juggling family, finances etc etc, however with a health condition and a cup that's already running over it can easily become too much to deal with and sadly type 1 becomes the issue which doesn't get dealt with. Take one day at a time, just focus on today and doing your blood tests and taking your quick acting insulin.

Please also talk about what's going on, the more you can talk about things and off load what's going on means the burden becomes lighter, hope your ok :)

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had ketones everyday last week as high as 5.6. Feeling very down and tired. Ketones again this morning 1.7. I'm struggling with taking insulin altogether