Frozen Shoulder

badwolfreturns

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctor has told I possibly got frozen shoulder,can you get this if your blood sugars are well controlled

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not my area of expertise but I think a frozen shoulder has nothing to do with diabetes.

Reactions: badwolfreturns

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, had three over the last 4 years. Physio was the answer, the exercises are tough but worthwhile and I've kept them going, 20 minutes every morning.
Sore as hell.
Physio did ask if I was diabetic when I told her what the problem was, she seemed to think there was a relationship.
GP: useless, just wanted to throw painkillers at me, which made me really solid in the stool department.
Kept well away from injections... just don't understand the point.
Wish you luck and a quick recovery.

Reactions: Squidzy and Knikki

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Physio was the answer
Absolutely agree. Lots of exercises and painful massages by a very strong male physio :nailbiting: did the trick for me too. Mine got really bad because my GP advised me to keep it still. In the end I could only move my arm from the elbow.

Reactions: badwolfreturns

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctor has told I possibly got frozen shoulder,can you get this if your blood sugars are well controlled
I now believe I had already developed quite a few diabetic complications when my A1c was 41 at worst, so not even considered pre-diabetic in the UK. However Dr Bernstein says frozen shoulder due to high bg can be reversed with consistent "normal" bgs. The snag is, his idea of "normal" is around an A1c of 31, so outside my grasp at present.

badwolfreturns

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks everyone,been to doctor for two months and they just prescribed pills,finally got a doctor who actually looked at me shoulder and referred me for a ultrasound scan and physio

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately I have had both my shoulders frozen over the last 20 years and was told that diabetics are more likely to get it.
There is information about it on the site https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/frozen-shoulder.html

And my blood sugars run very low 90% of the time.
I, too, have had both my shoulders frozen and my physio told me that about 90% of his patients with frozen shoulders were diabetic. I guess there must be some kind of link. Similar with carpel tunnel syndrome.

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

thanks everyone,been to doctor for two months and they just prescribed pills,finally got a doctor who actually looked at me shoulder and referred me for a ultrasound scan and physio

I'm no expert but I found that ultrasound scan sort of worked for about 5 minutes, but like others have said the physio side is better but painful and you have to keep at it.

One shoulder I had acupuncture on it and worked a charm, the other just did not respond at all, in the end the physio referred me to a consultant who then manipulated the shoulder under anisthetic and that also worked a treat. As a side note this was like 10 or more years apart.

So far since then things have been good, can still skip stones across the water but really can't throw for toffee now :D

K

Knikki

I, too, have had both my shoulders frozen and my physio told me that about 90% of his patients with frozen shoulders were diabetic. I guess there must be some kind of link. Similar with carpel tunnel syndrome.

Yep another great thing about being part of this T1D Exclusive Club :rolleyes: :hilarious:

Reactions: Dodo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I;ve got a frozen fingeer though that is not nearly so bad. Just can't grip much on that hand.
The glycation produced by excess glucose over time causes malformed proteins leading to 'stickinesss' in the affected tendons then difficulty with movement (I cannot bend my finger at all). Its a total systems disease unfortunately.

K

Knikki

And T2, unless my frozen shoulder was unrelated.

A fair point but as @Dodo 2 is also a Type 1 that is what I was refering too

Wheather Type 2 is any more suceptable to Frozen Shoulders or not I am afraid I do not know.

Sorry if I have either ignored or made light of the problem for Type 2 is was not my intention :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sorry if I have either ignored or made light of the problem for Type 2 is was not my intention :)
Not to worry till just a couple of days ago I had no inkling that one might have to do with the other, but I actually read it somewhere. Just wish I could post a link.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely agree. Lots of exercises and painful massages by a very strong male physio :nailbiting: did the trick for me too. Mine got really bad because my GP advised me to keep it still. In the end I could only move my arm from the elbow.
I found physio to be the answer. I saw a chiropractor for a couple of months which helped as did the exercises, but as he told me, frozen shoulders tend to ease off on their own. So when I had my other frozen shoulder, I just did the exercises occasionally, but it started to ease up anyway. They don't ache now but I do have to avoid certain pieces of gym apparatus if they pull my shoulder the wrong way.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Not my area of expertise but I think a frozen shoulder has nothing to do with diabetes.

Generally due to inflammation I was told. Which can arise from accident, injury and diseases such as diabetes. I fixed mine with turmeric, or time, but I think it was the turmeric.

Reactions: briped