Thank You Forum Hba1c Reduced In 4 Months

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a great result MikeyJ. I've been type 2 for 15 years & was doing quite well mostly, however my last HbA1c was 100 (I nearly fell over when they told me - my previous was 61). So, I'm following low carb principles & doing some semi-fasting. Lost 21lb in the last 5 weeks, making my BMI 25.2. Hoping to see the HbA1c smashed when I have it re-checked - will be looming on here for inspiration.
Thank you and well done on the weight loss it will surely make a difference :) I'm expecting some ups and downs with this T2 monkey so glad I've started with an 'up' after the diagnosis 'down'

Reactions: Prem51

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having big difficulties in understanding all these levels measured in tens of units.
My own level is in the range 6.7 to 7.3.%. Considered very good by my diabetologist here in Germany. These figures are percentages, not fixed values.

Why not use internationally recognizable values?

Can anyone explain how these UK values are calculated!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having big difficulties in understanding all these levels measured in tens of units.
My own level is in the range 6.7 to 7.3.%. Considered very good by my diabetologist here in Germany. These figures are percentages, not fixed values.

Why not use internationally recognizable values?

Can anyone explain how these UK values are calculated!

As this is a U.K. Forum, the majority of members use the IFCC Standardised mol/mol measurement now used in the U.K. rather than the DCCT aligned percentage measurement which was used previously several years ago. Here’s a page where you can convert one to the other,
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow you have inspired me thanks! I am only a couple of weeks in but am feeling positive. This forum has been brilliant

Reactions: zand and Prem51

Jenks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, Just wanted say thank you to the forum for the invaluable information that I have been reading since my Type 2 diagnosis in March 2018 (this is my first post) I had a HbA1c of 81 and put on Metformin 2 x 500mg a day, told to loose weight, exercise and change my diet. Whilst I haven't followed a strict low carb diet I have taken the themes and advice on foods to avoid from this forum and tested regularly. Since diagnosis I have lost a stone coming down from 14st 6 to 13st 6 (still another stone to go ideally) and last week my DNS informed me my HbA1c is now 40! :)

I'm 43 and take Rosuvastatin for high Cholesterol (hereditary) and Lisinipril for high blood pressure. I'm hoping that I can have have an effect on these conditions too by carrying on the good work.

Thank you again helpful people!
Hi All, Just wanted say thank you to the forum for the invaluable information that I have been reading since my Type 2 diagnosis in March 2018 (this is my first post) I had a HbA1c of 81 and put on Metformin 2 x 500mg a day, told to loose weight, exercise and change my diet. Whilst I haven't followed a strict low carb diet I have taken the themes and advice on foods to avoid from this forum and tested regularly. Since diagnosis I have lost a stone coming down from 14st 6 to 13st 6 (still another stone to go ideally) and last week my DNS informed me my HbA1c is now 40! :)

I'm 43 and take Rosuvastatin for high Cholesterol (hereditary) and Lisinipril for high blood pressure. I'm hoping that I can have have an effect on these conditions too by carrying on the good work.

That's a great result, congratulations. I've been a type2 diabetic for about 6 years, supposed to be sort controlled but didn't take it seriously. Dr. put me on metformin and 3 months ago and I've gone from 56 to 49 and lost one and a half stone, 2 more to go. I hope when that I've lost all the weight I'll be able to come off the medication again.

Jenks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic stuff! I lost 3 stone and came off blood pressure meds so it can be done!
That's a great result, congratulations. I've been a type2 diabetic for about 6 years, supposed to be sort controlled but didn't take it seriously. Dr. put me on metformin and 3 months ago and I've gone from 56 to 49 and lost one and a half stone, 2 more to go. I hope when that I've lost all the weight I'll be able to come off the medication again.

Jenks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Jenks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know why it says at the top that I'm insulin dependent as I'm not!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know why it says at the top that I'm insulin dependent as I'm not!
There is a software problem in this forum which is causing this to happen to some people.

Hover over your name and small icon at top right of your page.
Go into personal details. Scroll down to type of diabetes and choose the 2nd choice (Type 2)
then remember to save your changes at the bottom.

That might work. If not maybe @DCUKMod can help you.

Oh I think that maybe you need to be on a PC to do this?

Last edited:

sandypath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Mikey, that's fantastic. :)
I had similar good news at my first review with my new doctor's surgery yesterday. I'd gone from Hba1c of 112 at the end of Feb down to 48, with kidney, liver and thyroid all working really well. I've been on Metformin 500 x 2 - twice a day since Feb and whilst I haven't gone low carb, I have been more sensible than before and my weight has been coming down, I've lost 10kg over the last 18 months.
I've been quite lucky with the Metformin as I haven't really had any issues with it beyond the first couple of weeks. I've found the forums really motivating to keep at it.

This is the first time I've posted so Hi all by the way :happy::happy:

Reactions: MikeyJ and Prem51

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Mikey, that's fantastic. :)
I had similar good news at my first review with my new doctor's surgery yesterday. I'd gone from Hba1c of 112 at the end of Feb down to 48, with kidney, liver and thyroid all working really well. I've been on Metformin 500 x 2 - twice a day since Feb and whilst I haven't gone low carb, I have been more sensible than before and my weight has been coming down, I've lost 10kg over the last 18 months.
I've been quite lucky with the Metformin as I haven't really had any issues with it beyond the first couple of weeks. I've found the forums really motivating to keep at it.

This is the first time I've posted so Hi all by the way :happy::happy:
Thank you @sandypath and glad that you have taken the leap and posted on a what is a very helpful forum. You've done great with your approach and it shows in your results :)