I Know Meters Aren't Accurate But...

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the process of switching glucose meters (from Accu-chek Aviva to Codefree) and over the last couple of days I've been comparing the two across a range of times. Hardly scientific, but I've found that the Codefree meter gives consistently higher readings.

Day 1
Fasting (early morning) CF = 5.4, Aviva = 5.0
Fasting (after 18hr fast ) CF = 5.3, Aviva = 4.4
post very low carb meal meal (2hrs) CF = 5.8, Aviva = 4.8

Day 2
Fasting (early morning) CF = 5.6, Aviva = 5.0
Fasting (after 18hr fast) CF = 5.4, Aviva = 4.9
2 hrs post low carb meal meal CF = 5.6, Aviva = 4.7

Of course, I prefer the Aviva readings, but is it likely they are less accurate? And in the end, does it actually matter?
Many thanks for any comments.

~Heath

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's recently been an issue with accu check test strips but this was limited only limited to one batch of strips. Is this your reason for meter change?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is well documented that the Code Free reads a little higher. I have only ever used a Code Free and am happy with it. The results from it fed into MySugr give an estimated HbA1c which isn’t far off my lab results.

Reactions: liarsdance

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I use the code free meter. I did about 3 years ago, use another meter but can,t remember what it was called.
I can,t remember what my readings were, so I can,t say whether the code free was higher.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the important thing is to be consistent with meter use - as an unmedicated Type 2, it’s the general trends that are important.

There’s no way of knowing which meter is ‘right’ or closer to being ‘right’ when there are discrepancies. I also use the Codefree and don’t buy the theory that it reads high. My HbA1c is consistently higher than my monthly averages (minimum of 7 tests a day) would suggest.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There's recently been an issue with accu check test strips but this was limited only limited to one batch of strips. Is this your reason for meter change?
No - its availability and cost that's made me make the switch, to be honest. Once I get used to the the CF meter readings, I'll be fine, I'm sure :) Thanks!

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the important thing is to be consistent with meter use - as an unmedicated Type 2, it’s the general trends that are important.

There’s no way of knowing which meter is ‘right’ or closer to being ‘right’ when there are discrepancies. I also use the Codefree and don’t buy the theory that it reads high. My HbA1c is consistently higher than my monthly averages (minimum of 7 tests a day) would suggest.

Thanks - and you're right; it's the overall trend that matters. Much appreciate your input :)

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the code free meter. I did about 3 years ago, use another meter but can,t remember what it was called.
I can,t remember what my readings were, so I can,t say whether the code free was higher.

Many thanks :)

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is well documented that the Code Free reads a little higher. I have only ever used a Code Free and am happy with it. The results from it fed into MySugr give an estimated HbA1c which isn’t far off my lab results.

Many thanks for your information :) And I might give this MySugr app a try!