What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Slice of HiLo toast with butter and Vegemite, black tea, black coffee.
Early brunch in cinema cafe before movie. Two poached eggs, big mushrooms, tomatoes, half avocado, spinach. Black coffee.
3 mile walk followed by pint of pale ale, mixed nuts, olives, blush tomatoes.
D. Vegetable tagine.
First day in ages without courgette. Meals have been things like cheese and courgette fritters with warm courgette salad! There are only so many yellow courgettes that one woman can eat.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling a little guilty for not being very enthusiastic about today's food - it was good food and the sort I like but I never really generated any love for today. Hope you all had better auras - I'll realign all 7 of my chakras overnight! Menu below:
7.30 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk10.15 1 Frodo Lo dough, smashed avocado no sourdough, 2 fried eggs; much more tea - today is a flushing out day! 1 pint of the tea lake had 2 tsps inulin - go for a full on clearance day, why not!
14.30 Mackerel salad - tinned Mackerel in olive oil with acv and PHP in vinaigrette - lots of chia seeds sprinkled on top - not the same as crispy fried onions but maybe healthier?; High fibre chocky bar; water
19.20: Chicken thigh and avocado salad with h/m garlic mayo dressing; more chia seeds; water

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Slice of HiLo toast with butter and Vegemite, black tea, black coffee.
Early brunch in cinema cafe before movie. Two poached eggs, big mushrooms, tomatoes, half avocado, spinach. Black coffee.
3 mile walk followed by pint of pale ale, mixed nuts, olives, blush tomatoes.
D. Vegetable tagine.
First day in ages without courgette. Meals have been things like cheese and courgette fritters with warm courgette salad! There are only so many yellow courgettes that one woman can eat.

I need courgette recipes ! Could you post a couple of your favourites please? Cheese and courgette fritters sound lovely.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need courgette recipes ! Could you post a couple of your favourites please? Cheese and courgette fritters sound lovely.

I have a nice one - variation on lasagne.

Quantities not precise. Makes about 4 decent sized portions:

- 800g courgettes, sliced
- 500g fresh tomatoes, chopped
- small onion, chopped
- 360g mozzarella, sliced
- 40g grated Parmesan
- garlic to taste
- 25g tomato purée
- mixed herbs

Fry courgette in olive oil and set aside
Combine tomatoes, onion, tomato purée and garlic and cook down into a sauce. Add herbs and other seasoning of choice
Layer courgette, sauce and sliced mozzarella in a large dish
Top with Parmesan and bake - about 40 minutes or so at gas 5

Used to be a staple of mine, but haven’t eaten for a while as finding tomatoes sweet. Will be experimenting with one I’ve found in the freezer.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least I did get my Driving Licence sorted out this morning. A bit of a drive as I said but it turned out I didn't need to complete all the forms DVLC sent me when it wouldn't accept online. All I needed was the renewal letter from them which I got a couple of days ago and my licence. It was all very painless. Narked I'd completed all their forms for no reason.
LC is about all I can deal with at the moment. My sister is perky enough but she's lost so much weight now. She's still coping though but it's tough knowing it's a matter of time.
I'm not convinced over brother's chemo though. It's seriously heavy duty and not many people can go the course. First session is 10 hours followed by a 15 min dose and by all accounts it knocks you for 66 by the sounds of it. I was more interested in the risks. There is only a 35% chance of the cancer returning but out of that 35% where it comes back only 5 people would be helped by this severe chemo. My head is asking if it is worth it when there is a 65% chance it won't come back and another 30% where the chemo won't have helped if it does. I think that's what he should focus on since they don't have stats on the damage the chemo does at his age.
If anything LC is easy since I don't feel much like eating anyway.

Oh @maglil55 my heart aches for you all, what a horrendous situation.
I understand about the figures going round in your mind constantly, I was told there’s a 1:3 chance of it coming back within 3 yrs but the odds lengthen with time for me and I havent been offered chemo. I’ve thought about that possibility a lot though and it’s scary. Interestingly, when my dog died a few weeks ago the vet said it was an aggressive lymphoma and there might have been the possibility of chemo if it had been caught earlier - my first thought then was ‘no way!’ I would never have put her through that because I loved her too much to watch her suffer. The fact that we are human and can think about consequences and probabilities doesn’t always make things easier.
Is your sister under the palliative care team?

Reactions: maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

- small onion, chopped
- 40g grated Parmesan
- garlic to taste
- 25g tomato purée
- mixed herbs

Combine tomatoes, onion, tomato purée and garlic and cook down into a sauce. Add herbs and other seasoning of choice

Used to be a staple of mine, but haven’t eaten for a while as finding tomatoes sweet. Will be experimenting with one I’ve found in the freezer.
Sounds tasty thank you for sharing

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

- small onion, chopped
- 40g grated Parmesan
- garlic to taste
- 25g tomato purée
- mixed herbs

Ah! i hadn’t thought of slicing the courgettes into lasagne sheets - thats a great idea thank you. The ones we’ve been given are huge - almost marrows really so they’ll make great lasagne.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day weather wise and headache didn’t hang around, once I was up and about and busy preparing for work it subsided.
B omelette with feta and ham, coffee with cream
L salad with chicken and some Brie, I then ate half of a PhD bar. I wanted to experiment by trying half a bar and decided to eat it straight after a lunch that has little or no effect on BG, it worked out ok today, same reading pre and post lunch, will repeat test with the other half eaten on its own to see if I get a similar result
Came home and had a mad hour catching up on housework, felt hungry and knew I would eat until later so had a bullet proof coffee and choc olive oil cake with a little bit of cream
D lo dough wrap filled with beef, cucumber, tomato and mayo

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Anyone want a frozen loaf of LivLife? Bought some earlier this week as reduced in Waitrose. Found myself unusually hungry this morning and tried a couple of slices with some almond butter. Result: spike to 7.8. Firmly on the ‘no-go’ list. BG has run higher than usual all day, accompanied by hunger.

Lunch was on the go at an all day meeting. M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos supplemented by a 30g portion of Cornish Cove cheese and 25g Parma ham.

Dinner - ditched planned experiment with an old home prepared meal I found in the freezer (high tomato content) as one spike per day is more than enough. Opted for pan fried sea bass fillet with buttered cabbage followed by clotted cream, some Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and some salted almonds and macadamias.
Isn’t it wierd how individual reactions are I never have reaction to liv life bread mind you only ever have one slice at a time ! I got my lo dough delivery today will be interesting to see how it goes.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a nice prelude to weekend (tomorrow off work) so may well make some lo-dough quiches, and maybe those Buzzard Bites.

10am 2 97%meat sausages
1pm goatsmilk yog with added cream
7pm will be chicken rogan josh with peppers and aubergine. I will fish the bits of meat out. :D

The Buzzard Bites have a fab looking sauce made from cider, ketchup and Balsamic vinegar.
Obviously, this isn’t at all LC, so am cogitating trying a LC version. Cider, tom puree and GF soy sauce, maybe?
Anyone got a suggestion to replace the balsamic? Normally I wouldn’t mind a dash of it here or there. But this recipe wants a quarter of a cup!
I always use apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic vinegar

Reactions: Brunneria

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CD22B973-6D90-4DE5-BC09-DB87DE3F559A.jpeg
Wonderful anniversary amazing day and meals
Breakfast one sausage and egg
Lunch seafood platter
Dinner steak and salad followed by selection of cheese and celery and bottle of red wine home for filter coffee and one square of 99% choc

Attachments

• 67FA6E82-6789-4861-9E76-A746F0D34CAB.jpeg
    67FA6E82-6789-4861-9E76-A746F0D34CAB.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 429

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh @maglil55 my heart aches for you all, what a horrendous situation.
I understand about the figures going round in your mind constantly, I was told there’s a 1:3 chance of it coming back within 3 yrs but the odds lengthen with time for me and I havent been offered chemo. I’ve thought about that possibility a lot though and it’s scary. Interestingly, when my dog died a few weeks ago the vet said it was an aggressive lymphoma and there might have been the possibility of chemo if it had been caught earlier - my first thought then was ‘no way!’ I would never have put her through that because I loved her too much to watch her suffer. The fact that we are human and can think about consequences and probabilities doesn’t always make things easier.
Is your sister under the palliative care team?
Yes she is. She's got the Marie Curie nurses as well. I'm well versed in palliative care and know it's all about treating the symptoms. As I said she's quite perky and admits she actually feels OK if she could only manage to eat a bit more as the lack of appetite has been getting to her. She's not being sick and no pain. They also send a reflexologist once a week which she reckons is wonderful. Getting the care team in place has certainly helped with the extreme fatigue she was experiencing when she was on the chemo. So oddly she feels better than she was previously but still very Ill obviously.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 27657 Wonderful anniversary amazing day and meals
Breakfast one sausage and egg
Lunch seafood platter
Dinner steak and salad followed by selection of cheese and celery and bottle of red wine home for filter coffee and one square of 99% choc
@shelley262 sounds like a lovely day with fantastic food. Pictures look gorgeous.

Reactions: shelley262

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn’t it wierd how individual reactions are I never have reaction to liv life bread mind you only ever have one slice at a time ! I got my lo dough delivery today will be interesting to see how it goes.

Happy anniversary! Your meal looks lovely.

Agree about individual reactions. Also convinced that like calories, not all carbs are equal. Last night’s dinner of 17.9 carbs resulted in a 2 hour post meal reading exactly the same as pre-meal and down to 4.2 before bed. Brekkie with livlife and total 9.4 carbs 2.5 mmol rise!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah! i hadn’t thought of slicing the courgettes into lasagne sheets - thats a great idea thank you. The ones we’ve been given are huge - almost marrows really so they’ll make great lasagne.

A potato peeler could make great, even slices of courgette, lengthwise.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes she is. She's got the Marie Curie nurses as well. I'm well versed in palliative care and know it's all about treating the symptoms. As I said she's quite perky and admits she actually feels OK if she could only manage to eat a bit more as the lack of appetite has been getting to her. She's not being sick and no pain. They also send a reflexologist once a week which she reckons is wonderful. Getting the care team in place has certainly helped with the extreme fatigue she was experiencing when she was on the chemo. So oddly she feels better than she was previously but still very Ill obviously.

Sending hugs won’t make a blind bit of difference I know, but sending them anyway. Please feel free to PM me any time if you want to chat or rail against the unfairness of everything.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I’m glad you’ve had such a lovely day - your meals look delicious.

@Goonergal I completely agree about not all carbs being equal, I seem to get a spike if something tastes sweet whether or not it is carb heavy. Very odd but now Ive figured it out I know what to expect.

Spent most of today baking for a Macmillan cake sale tomorrow. I was going to make the trusty lemon drizzle but then realised what a great opportunity to use up all the old carby ingredients in my baking cupboard
Made flapjacks, chocolate cupcakes, gingerbread, fruit loaf and a victoria sponge. I didn’t lick my fingers or the spoon once so was very proud of myself, although I must have inhaled 1/2lb icing sugar while seiving it. All my Tupperware storage containers are now being given a spruce up in the dishwasher, in readiness for filling with coconut flour, ground almonds, erythritol etc.

B: smoked salmon, avocado, scrambled egg. Coffee and cream.

L: N&S prawn cocktail and 1/2 avocado. The last 3 DD seedy crackers. More coffee.

D: baked salmon fillet with adparagus and Hollandaise sauce. Green salad with walnuts and olive oil and acv dressing. SF jelly and cream. Oh, and 2 glasses red wine while preparing dinner.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy anniversary! Your meal looks lovely.

Agree about individual reactions. Also convinced that like calories, not all carbs are equal. Last night’s dinner of 17.9 carbs resulted in a 2 hour post meal reading exactly the same as pre-meal and down to 4.2 before bed. Brekkie with livlife and total 9.4 carbs 2.5 mmol rise!
I can eat livlife without problems too, it just goes to show how different we all are, sometimes there seems no rhyme or reason, high numbers when we don’t expect them or indeed the other way, no 2 days run alike. I guess this is not new there will have been the same variances pre our diagnosis but we were not aware as we didn’t know about testing.