What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: tuna mayo with cauliflower, broccoli and celery salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon at local coffee shop black coffee and chocolate phd bar
Dinner: chicken chasseur, mixed veg with carrot and swede mash followed by lemon chia pudding and strawberries.

Edited a typo.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.6. Another lovely day. Boys at holiday club and I actually quite enjoyed my drive in search of a driving licence renewal post office.
B. A quick coffee.
L. Quite late after my journey and aqua Zumba.
My lo dough Maccy D wrap with a fried egg, boiled ham, grated cheese and tomato ketchup.
D. Very very late. Just wasn't hungry until a lot later. 1/2 avocado, few prawns, remains of the anchovies, 4 Santini tomatoes and a bit of wenslaydale with cranberries.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well.
Water then a late
Breakfast : 2 fried eggs with the filling of 4 tiny fishcakes. No breadcrumb. With a heaped spoonful of low carb cottage cheese. It filled my sandwich size plate and the 2 eggs were a double decker.
Snack: decaf coffee with egg cup worth of milk.
Water
Lunch: 2 oven roasted chicken breasts, shredded. Finger picked, lovely. Added salt for dizziness has started already.
Snack: similiar coffee
Water
Dinner: last chicken breast, cooked earlier with salted mayo as dip.
Supper : last of cottage cheese as been eating over 3 days. Ate like a yoghurt.

Need a shop tomorrow.
Missing protein bread as love egg on toast.
Will have to wait til after our picnic in school field to band and balloon release. It's great when all hard work in keeping kids right pays off. ;)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi DJC3.
I have several variations on courgette and cheese fritters and they are all a bit random
Sieve about 50g chickpea flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1tsp ground cumin, salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp olive oil
Mix together 1 or 2 eggs and 50ml of almond milk. The quantity of milk needed will change depending on whether one or two eggs are used. Add to the dry ingredients and beat into a smooth, thick batter.
Grate a large courgette and dry off excess moisture. Add to batter along with cheese of choice e.g. grated cheddar or crumbled feta. Heat oil in a frying pan, place large spoonfuls of batter in hot oil, turn when brownish on one side, maybe 3 minutes on each side. Delicious hot, cold, may also be frozen. Sorry about the lack of exact quantities but I have been throwing these together for years. Also works with cooked, cooled, finely chopped spinach or Swiss chard, sweet corn (carb!) and other hard cheeses. Useful for leftovers. Am about to make a batch to take camping!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DJC3.
I have several variations on courgette and cheese fritters and they are all a bit random
Sieve about 50g chickpea flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1tsp ground cumin, salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp olive oil
Mix together 1 or 2 eggs and 50ml of almond milk. The quantity of milk needed will change depending on whether one or two eggs are used. Add to the dry ingredients and beat into a smooth, thick batter.
Grate a large courgette and dry off excess moisture. Add to batter along with cheese of choice e.g. grated cheddar or crumbled feta. Heat oil in a frying pan, place large spoonfuls of batter in hot oil, turn when brownish on one side, maybe 3 minutes on each side. Delicious hot, cold, may also be frozen. Sorry about the lack of exact quantities but I have been throwing these together for years. Also works with cooked, cooled, finely chopped spinach or Swiss chard, sweet corn (carb!) and other hard cheeses. Useful for leftovers. Am about to make a batch to take camping!

Thanks, they sound brilliant. I was worried about the carb value of chick pea flour on first read through, but as you’re only using around 50g I imagine it works out ok.
Now Ive got to find some in a bag smaller than 10kg!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, they sound brilliant. I was worried about the carb value of chick pea flour on first read through, but as you’re only using around 50g I imagine it works out ok.
Now Ive got to find some in a bag smaller than 10kg!

Another name for chickpea flour is Gram or Besam Flour. All the big supermarkets do it, although I think under Gram Flour.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another name for chickpea flour is Gram or Besam Flour. All the big supermarkets do it, although I think under Gram Flour.

Yes I’ve seen it as gram flour, but usually in the world food aisle and in enormous bags! I think its the basis for chapatis so Asian friends of mine go through mountains of it. When I was at work one of my colleagues would bring me in a few ounces at a time from her supply to save me having to buy such large quantities. I’ll have to have another look.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I’ve seen it as gram flour, but usually in the world food aisle and in enormous bags! I think its the basis for chapatis so Asian friends of mine go through mountains of it. When I was at work one of my colleagues would bring me in a few ounces at a time from her supply to save me having to buy such large quantities. I’ll have to have another look.

I use gram flour, as it's naturally gluten free, and my last lot was from Sainsbury's. I've never bought more that a 1kg bag at a time, as we just don't get through it, so Sainsbo's might be a good place to start?

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried an OMAD day today assuming you can discount almond milk and lactofree cream. I did need to eat earlier than usual and have 2 courses - not especially happy with that but its done now and I was hungry. menu below:

6.20 2 pint mugs Lemon green tea
7.30 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk
11.15 Waitrose coffee with arla lactofree single cream
15.15 1½ pint mug tea with 2 tsps inulin and almond milk
17.50: Salmon fillet and avocado salad with acv and php vinaigrette; Chia seeds; H/M high fibre choc bar; water
PHP = Psyllium husk powder

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
C33F669C-609A-434C-BA76-85C6D5FFEE23.jpeg
Here you go @DJC3 !

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone has had a good Friday - cool air and rain has arrived here this afternoon and quite enjoying the change also don’t need to water! Thank you to all you lo dough supporters I enjoyed the bit I did for breakfast.
Breakfast lo dough eggy bread with sausage ( clearly secret for me is to add liquids and cook it !soaked pieces in beaten egg and dash of cream for 20 mins before frying in macadamian nut oil)
Lunch four seeded LC crispbreads with chicken liver pate followed by one slice of choc olive oil cake with fage yoghurt
Dinner chilli with one slice of LC garlic bread with glass red wine planning coffee and a bit of 90% chocolate later.
This evening also planning tomorrow’s dinner as have friends coming over for an evening meal - so will be late reporting my food tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold roast chicken with cauliflower, broccoli and mushroom salad, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by strawberries and chocolate mint Oppo.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone has had a good Friday - cool air and rain has arrived here this afternoon and quite enjoying the change also don’t need to water! Thank you to all you lo dough supporters I enjoyed the bit I did for breakfast.
Breakfast lo dough eggy bread with sausage ( clearly secret for me is to add liquids and cook it !soaked pieces in beaten egg and dash of cream for 20 mins before frying in macadamian nut oil)
Lunch four seeded LC crispbreads with chicken liver pate followed by one slice of choc olive oil cake with fage yoghurt
Dinner chilli with one slice of LC garlic bread with glass red wine planning coffee and a bit of 90% chocolate later.
This evening also planning tomorrow’s dinner as have friends coming over for an evening meal - so will be late reporting my food tomorrow.
Glad you found a way to enjoy your lo dough and I saw the eggy bread recipe and thought I might try it, on your recommendation I will definitely give it a go

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: mixed seeds and flax, full fat yogurt
L: cheese, cucumber & pepper
D: veggie kebabs (hallomi, mushrooms, courgette, pepper), few berries

busy weekend with parties and eating out coming up (not in restaurants I have chosen - so will be lucky if there is a veggie option let alone low carb too ) :-(

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Extremely hot day here today but around 5 it cooled and a breeze arrived, it’s lovely now.
B omelette with feta and bacon coffee with cream
L lo dough made into a wrap with roast beef, mayo and cucumber
Snack of small pack of pork scratchings
D Indian tikka masala with cauliflower rice, small portion of cherries with extra thick cream

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all.
I’ve had a day of lovely low bgs - average for the day is 4.8 I’ve had pretty much the same sort of meals I always have, so it’s with a sinking feeling that realisation is dawning: that I haven’t had coffee since breakfast, and even then it was 1 mug rather than2. I’ve been drinking mostly tea and almond milk today, might try the same tomorrow (if I can).

B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg, avocado. Coffee with cream

L: peppered mackerel with salad of rocket, avocado, radishes, walnuts and a tomato from the garden with olive oil and acv dressing. SF jelly and cream.

G&T with a few olives

D: roast pork, cauli cheese, buttered cabbage and roast celeriac with a glass of red wine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 5.8. Decided to go OMAD since I'm not hungry anyway and having been stuck for weeks my weight is dropping again.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream then straight to physio.
L. Nothing but water. Took No 1 swimming as usual and he made a wee pal today so was 2 hrs in the pool.
D. Took a while to decide so ended up with a weird combination of 8 bits of the Lidl Dulano German sausage selection, 1/2 Mattesons smoked sausage , few sweet potato chips and a fried egg (scored with another double yolker). Another Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
Got the boys most of tomorrow. Mum & Dad out for their anniversary to some Rum & Reggae festival. Went to do an online shop and couldn't get a slot so out early it is before they arrive. Niece's carpet going down tomorrow too so a busy day.

Reactions: jayney27

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Must admit my lo dough has always been "cooked". Not sure I'd like it as us.