Resistant Starch and Diabetes My story

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

An update now that I've had my full bloods done.

Hba1c - 41 mmol
Total cholesterol - 2.7
Hdl - 1.1
Ldl - 1.2
Triglycerides - 0.8

Down to 15st 12lbs now total weight loss of 4st 5 lbs.

All in all pretty happy with the lifestyle change.

Tom

Last edited:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

An update now that I've had my full bloods done.

Hba1c - 41 mmol
Total cholesterol - 2.7
Hdl - 1.1
Ldl - 1.2
Triglycerides - 0.8

Down to 15st 12lbs now total weight loss of 4st 5 lbs.

All in all pretty happy with the lifestyle change.

Tom

@tomtom2

That is very impressive. I got and made some oats last night. I used full fat cream and water and mixed them up. I've still got a whole saucepan full of them now chilling in the fridge for a meal tomorrow.. Thanks for the inspiration. As for the cycling I'm still doing some but not as much.. I'm doing some hiking now too.

Reactions: tomtom 2

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This link below gives a good idea of how much resistant starch to take for what benefits your looking for.

https://resistantstarchresearch.com/posts/3-levels-of-benefits/
This is a fascinating thread and I would love to think I could lower my bgs by consuming resistant starch. Unfortunately for me, it appears that it only helps against insulin resistance, and I think my main problem is insulin insufficiency, so it would probably just make things worse for me. But thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your success.

Reactions: tomtom 2

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Cashew nuts and luckily these are high in RS but trouble with them is there high in calories.
I used to love them too, but like peanuts they are high in carbs as well as calories.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very impressive. I got and made some oats last night. I used full fat cream and water and mixed them up. I've still got a whole saucepan full of them now chilling in the fridge for a meal tomorrow.. Thanks for the inspiration. As for the cycling I'm still doing some but not as much.. I'm doing some hiking now too.

@Living-by-the-beach

Thanks, and good luck with trying the oats.
Nice to see you are still getting plenty exercise.
I retire next friday and hope to be able to go for long walks now that I will have plenty of time on my hands.

This is a fascinating thread and I would love to think I could lower my bgs by consuming resistant starch. Unfortunately for me, it appears that it only helps against insulin resistance, and I think my main problem is insulin insufficiency, so it would probably just make things worse for me. But thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your success.

@Alexandra100
Thanks.
Found this page on Diabetes Warrior who advocates HFLC by the way.
https://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2013/12/21/type-1s-resistant-starch-diabetes-experiment/
It is 5 years old but shows how RS could help stabilise BG.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. Thank you for this, it’s food for thought -pun intended. Might I ask, having watched the slides, I got the 8mpression that cooked and cooled food should be eaten cold to retain the resistance. Is this correct? I had enticing visions of my sautéing sliced cold spuds with a smidge or two of garlic in olive oil. Ditto brown rice. Can you advise if this is ok? Bless you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. Thank you for this, it’s food for thought -pun intended. Might I ask, having watched the slides, I got the 8mpression that cooked and cooled food should be eaten cold to retain the resistance. Is this correct? I had enticing visions of my sautéing sliced cold spuds with a smidge or two of garlic in olive oil. Ditto brown rice. Can you advise if this is ok? Bless you.
When I eat pasta I always reheat it from cold which has little affect on my BS - not sure about spuds as I am ok with these, inc mashed, anyway (provided I don’t have too many!).

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly, I only have to look at a carb for my bg to spike. Including the small amount of semi skimmed milk in my am coffee! Now trying watered down cream. Ongoing tests.
So was keen to check if once cooked then cooled carbs might work for me. And whether resistance is maintained if the carb is then cooked again.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@rosco 2
Hi I don't eat spuds or pasta, I do occasionaly have basmati rice that I have cooked and reheated and that doesn't spike my BG much. I would try taking my BG before and after to see if reheating the spuds did spike my BG.

@Daphne917
Not surprised that the reheated pasta doesn't spike your BG much.
I watched a programme last year called Trust Me I'm a Doctor where they done an experiment on the effects of reheating pasta.
Here is a link to that experiment.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...leftovers-be-healthier-than-the-original-meal

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a very small portion of reheated pasta the other night, plus meatballs in tomato sauce and I spiked. Tedious. So now I will have to experiment with sautéing cold spuds and measuring. As I am very impatient I find it quite difficult to wait two hours for a test! Such is life. I also had smaller spike with reheated brown rice fried with various veggies. So I fear all carbs may be off my menu.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@rosco 2

I take potato starch before my meals and this helps to stabilise BG preventing spikes.

I done an experiment yesterday to see how well the potato starch works.
Took my BG and it was 6.0
Took 2 tablespoons of potato starch in a glass of water.
Then ate a Mars Bar one of the ones that come from a multi pack which are a little smaller than normal.
Took my BG one hour later 8.0
Took it again another hour later and it was 6.2

Now I'm not sure how much of a raise in BG you would call a bad spike.
Would need to try this again without taking the potato starch to see how much it raises my BG.

Top Op Farina is the potato starch that i use and get it from amazon.
S0000018760001.jpg

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the rationale behind eating potato starch to stabilise bg?

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Potato starch is very high in resistant starch 60%
So 2 level tablespoons are approx 24 grams (i weighed them) this is approx 16 grams resistant starch.
And its the resitant starch that helps stabilise BG.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok...interested...what does it taste like in water? Is there no other way of ingesting it that might be more tasty without affecting the resistance?

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have always been a label reader and even more so now. So I am pretty sure the commercial tomato sauce product I used was pretty low in carbs.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no taste to it.
You can have it with whatever you like as long as its not hot.
Heating up potato starch removes the resistant starch.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, bless you. So I could have it in tomato juice with the spices I like, this would be ok I would think?

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never tried with tomato juice but should be ok.
Might be a funny colour tho as the powder is white just like cornflour.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never worried about the visuals, only about taste :)