A Quiet Celebration And A Question

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, it’s a tough road to walk but clearly has had great outcome for you. I suggest...caution to the wind and all that, a lovely omelette with Parmesan and a glass of decent red wine!
thank you! (and I did have a small glass of the red stuff...) ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, I've just had a review with my Diabetic Nurse. I was hoping for a significant drop in that HbA1c – and I wasn't disappointed; it was back in normal range at 35! :D My DN said she had never seen such a speedy and significant drop before.
That's a great reduction in just 3 months @liarsdance, well done you! :)
Did you tell your DN you are low carbing? And if so what was her attitude to that?

Reactions: liarsdance

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If my memory serves, my GP said my result from the first blood test he requested, was 89. I think he assumed I knew what this meant. Erm no...but I did realise it was a pretty high number. Now 4 weeks on and having decided on the ‘bed of nails’ approach to T2 it’s quite tedious to have to wait another 2 months until I can get my HbA1c done. Always been impatient! So I am hoping that I will have an outcome similar to liarsdance - fingers crossed.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If my memory serves, my GP said my result from the first blood test he requested, was 89. I think he assumed I knew what this meant. Erm no...but I did realise it was a pretty high number. Now 4 weeks on and having decided on the ‘bed of nails’ approach to T2 it’s quite tedious to have to wait another 2 months until I can get my HbA1c done. Always been impatient! So I am hoping that I will have an outcome similar to liarsdance - fingers crossed.
I've crossed my fingers for you too :)

Saorlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is really hard. for years my GP has actively told me not to do low carb and in spite of, or because of, being on meds I’ve put on weight which is so counter productive. However I took things into my own hands and have been following an 800 calorie diet which is also low carb. I’ve stopped my medication and I’ve started testing my blood sugars. I’ve lost half a stone, maintained my blood sugars at an average of between 6.5 and 7.5 with no medication and I feel 100% better. I am sure that if I keep losing weight and eating healthily I will continue to lose weight and blood sugars will continue to drop. There’s a really useful app I found called Glucose Buddy where you can do lots of tracking and it also gives an idea of what your HbA1c will be. I wish I’d done this ages ago but just wasn’t confident enough. Good luck!

Mijoed

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results and in only 3 months. I had a phone appt with my GP after my pre-diabetic indication. He recommended losing weight and exercising more. Ha. At 6ft, i only weigh 165 lbs and already walk 8 miles a day with the dog, weight train twice a week and cycle 120 miles a week. Weight loss is not an option but I guess I can up the exercise.

Gazzamius1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having a beer.
Well, I've just had a review with my Diabetes Nurse. I was hoping for a significant drop in that HbA1c – and I wasn't disappointed; it was back in normal range at 35! :D My DN said she had never seen such a speedy and significant drop before. And it also seems (and I'm not sure why) that after an initial HbA1c of 52 in mid April this year, a confirmation HbA1c of 48 a fortnight later, my GP did not code me as anything - neither T2 or Pre diabetic. And now two months later, I still have not even been coded – except perhaps as 'Just another older fat female trying her best'... Does this happen often?

Anyway, the bottom line is that in 3 months I have lost 12kg and reduced my HbA1c from 52 to 35 - and I'm delighted. I've done this by eating no more than 20g carbs a day, 16:8 daily IF and daily walking and with no medication. Of course, the real hard work is still ahead of me - a lot more weight to come off and to keep my blood sugars low. In some ways I see this odd coding issue as positive, but at the same time, it changes nothing for me. I am clearly not able to tolerate a 'lot' of carbs and am feeling so good in other ways (arthritic wrist and knee pain gone, indigestion and heartburn gone) with my keto/low carb life and slowly losing weight, so have no intention of returning to my old way of eating. I will be going back in another 3 months and again at 6 months.

Do you know, I think I might celebrate with a couple of hard boiled eggs and some spinach... ;)
~Heath

I salute you fellow Low Carb follower........ I have been diabetic for over 15 years. and the thing that spurred me into low carb was the neuropathy in my feet.. was getting unbearable. and like a lot of diabetics, ignored the issue.. because it's a long slow death..... ( and i mean that) it IS..... a long slow.... agonising death. i did not just wake up to this fact. i knew it all along... i just NEVER accepted it. BUT when my feet were becoming increasingly painful and hard to walk. i knew i had to change my life or face amputation. i went with keto. tried it many times but failed. THIS time i thought .. Gary you MUST TRY you mug.... just for once in your life give it a chance. so i did. and i am so glad. I am a lad that liked a beer, made up excuses in my head that it was OK to drink lager and just keep injecting insulin and all would be well. i kept drinking and injecting and all was NOT well. my neuropathy became more intolerable. so for 4 weeks now. i have not had a beer. wine has no effect on my blood sugars at all. my morning blood sugars have been regularly 5 or 6 mmols for the past 4 weeks. i eat less than 20 grams carbs a day. and the carbs i eat are all green carbs. my food is mostly saturated fat, steak, pork, lamb etc.. and fish. bread has gone from my diet as rice, pasta, potatoes, most root vegetables and anything that resembles a carbohybdrate. ............ i cannot believe the change in my body over the past 4 weeks. the neuropathy in my feet has NOT gone. but i no longer get shooting pains and walking is so much more comfortable. i am not sure if the numbness in my feet will get so much better ... but all i know is when i check my blood sugars throughout the day, the highest reading i have had in 4 weeks is 7 mmols, and that is usually first thing the morning. i have reduced my insulin injections, humalog 50 from over 200 units daily... to less than 40 units twice daily. once i kick the daily intake of wine. i expect this to become non existent. i am not on a mission for complete reversal yet. because i have been a beer drinker since i was 16 years old. not many weeks passed in all that time (65 now) since i did not drink. BUT slowly i am educating myself........ because the last 4 weeks has been a revelation to me. JUST because i can now actually get up and do the things i want to do. It's hard folks. and i will get there. i just wish i had someone to give me the confidence and boost i need to get me there sooner. we need more groups in this country to help people like me. get off their arses and spur them into action. anyone with any nous or spark of imagination to start a course for reprobates like me. i will follow you to the ends of the earth. best wishes to all advocates of low carb. kindest regards Gaz

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I salute you fellow Low Carb follower........ I have been diabetic for over 15 years. and the thing that spurred me into low carb was the neuropathy in my feet.. was getting unbearable. and like a lot of diabetics, ignored the issue.. because it's a long slow death..... ( and i mean that) it IS..... a long slow.... agonising death. i did not just wake up to this fact. i knew it all along... i just NEVER accepted it. BUT when my feet were becoming increasingly painful and hard to walk. i knew i had to change my life or face amputation. i went with keto. tried it many times but failed. THIS time i thought .. Gary you MUST TRY you mug.... just for once in your life give it a chance. so i did. and i am so glad. I am a lad that liked a beer, made up excuses in my head that it was OK to drink lager and just keep injecting insulin and all would be well. i kept drinking and injecting and all was NOT well. my neuropathy became more intolerable. so for 4 weeks now. i have not had a beer. wine has no effect on my blood sugars at all. my morning blood sugars have been regularly 5 or 6 mmols for the past 4 weeks. i eat less than 20 grams carbs a day. and the carbs i eat are all green carbs. my food is mostly saturated fat, steak, pork, lamb etc.. and fish. bread has gone from my diet as rice, pasta, potatoes, most root vegetables and anything that resembles a carbohybdrate. ............ i cannot believe the change in my body over the past 4 weeks. the neuropathy in my feet has NOT gone. but i no longer get shooting pains and walking is so much more comfortable. i am not sure if the numbness in my feet will get so much better ... but all i know is when i check my blood sugars throughout the day, the highest reading i have had in 4 weeks is 7 mmols, and that is usually first thing the morning. i have reduced my insulin injections, humalog 50 from over 200 units daily... to less than 40 units twice daily. once i kick the daily intake of wine. i expect this to become non existent. i am not on a mission for complete reversal yet. because i have been a beer drinker since i was 16 years old. not many weeks passed in all that time (65 now) since i did not drink. BUT slowly i am educating myself........ because the last 4 weeks has been a revelation to me. JUST because i can now actually get up and do the things i want to do. It's hard folks. and i will get there. i just wish i had someone to give me the confidence and boost i need to get me there sooner. we need more groups in this country to help people like me. get off their arses and spur them into action. anyone with any nous or spark of imagination to start a course for reprobates like me. i will follow you to the ends of the earth. best wishes to all advocates of low carb. kindest regards Gaz
Thank you - very low carb is the way for me for the rest of my life! I wish you every success on your own journey :)
~Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I've just had a review with my Diabetes Nurse. I was hoping for a significant drop in that HbA1c – and I wasn't disappointed; it was back in normal range at 35! :D My DN said she had never seen such a speedy and significant drop before. And it also seems (and I'm not sure why) that after an initial HbA1c of 52 in mid April this year, a confirmation HbA1c of 48 a fortnight later, my GP did not code me as anything - neither T2 or Pre diabetic. And now two months later, I still have not even been coded – except perhaps as 'Just another older fat female trying her best'... Does this happen often?

Anyway, the bottom line is that in 3 months I have lost 12kg and reduced my HbA1c from 52 to 35 - and I'm delighted. I've done this by eating no more than 20g carbs a day, 16:8 daily IF and daily walking and with no medication. Of course, the real hard work is still ahead of me - a lot more weight to come off and to keep my blood sugars low. In some ways I see this odd coding issue as positive, but at the same time, it changes nothing for me. I am clearly not able to tolerate a 'lot' of carbs and am feeling so good in other ways (arthritic wrist and knee pain gone, indigestion and heartburn gone) with my keto/low carb life and slowly losing weight, so have no intention of returning to my old way of eating. I will be going back in another 3 months and again at 6 months.

Do you know, I think I might celebrate with a couple of hard boiled eggs and some spinach... ;)
~Heath
A well earned celebration.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Great results and in only 3 months. I had a phone appt with my GP after my pre-diabetic indication. He recommended losing weight and exercising more. Ha. At 6ft, i only weigh 165 lbs and already walk 8 miles a day with the dog, weight train twice a week and cycle 120 miles a week. Weight loss is not an option but I guess I can up the exercise.
R u sure you're type 2