Auto-injectors For Injections

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's as close as I EVER want to get to 1 :)
The funny thing is that I used one for years and I found that it actually hurt less than injecting manually. Insulin syringes today are a lot smaller now though and thankfully disposable. It seems bonkers now looking back that you used the same steel needle for years until it bent and stopped working! I remember taking the glass syringe in it's container with me to Alton Towers and going on all the rides.
Having recently switched to 8mm disposable syringes from 12.7mm, these are a lot easier too.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The funny thing is that I used one for years and I found that it actually hurt less than injecting manually. Insulin syringes today are a lot smaller now though and thankfully disposable. It seems bonkers now looking back that you used the same steel needle for years until it bent and stopped working! I remember taking the glass syringe in it's container with me to Alton Towers and going on all the rides.
Having recently switched to 8mm disposable syringes from 12.7mm, these are a lot easier too.
I was so scared of the gun I never used it. I am on 4mm needles now and don't feel them at all. There is no comparison between now and 46 years ago. Thank God

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Sadly they don't make these anymore. These are Palmer injectors and by all accounts, scared the bejezuz out of young T1Ds in the 60s.
I should say!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
AAARGH!!!!!!! My dad bought me one of these when I was around 10 years old and really struggling doing my jabs. Got it out of its black box and pulled the loading device back and pressed the trigger......"BANG!!!!!!!".......thought ****** that and put it back in the box. Dad came in from work and asked if I had used the gun yet? Not a chance! My dad said to me if I use it will you. Well my dad was my hero so I agreed. My dad was a big bloke 19 stone full of muscles ex para. He loaded the syringe and pulled it back (forgetting to adjust the depth part). Bang and my dad yelped, pretty loudly. The gun was never used again. I have that black box hidden away somewhere :) :)
That is a real museum piece!

Reactions: porl69

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Am I the only person who actually liked these? I had a glass syringe with massive steel needle (only got 1 syringe and 1 steel needle which you used for years). I was very disappointed when I switched to disposable syringes in mid 1980's and found I could not use my gun with them.
I think you might be! I worshipped the new disposable - as a Type 1 friend said "It's like going into butter!"

Reactions: porl69

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I think most people re-used those road-digging needles then, even turning the burred end back with a thumb nail. But like the disposables, which were meant to be for single use, I don't think they were meant to be used to that extent!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank God indeed. What make are the 4mm?
Mylife penfine
1532164394557.jpg

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Defo not sadly. I think you mean thank god they don't make these anymore!!!
Not the bejezuz....... it frightened the S**T out of me......see above :)
Did you ever try one of these? It was just as bad as the Palmer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 175

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Did you ever try one of these? It was just as bad as the Palmer.

Yeah I had one of those and actually used it. It wasn't as frightening as the Palmer :)

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A friend takes one of those once a week injection of a T2D diabetes medications.
His beef is that he gets lots of bruising from this injection ( t"he horse needle") and wonders about use of an auto-injector.
Could such a device perhaps shoot or guide the syringe/needle in at ? 45 degrees or ? 90 degrees and steady the needle and syringe and thus reduce bruising?
My other reason for asking it that, being mechanically-minded, he is looking out for drill guides and other devices to adapt for use and I fear a Heath-Robinson contraption is in the making !! Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.
Hi. Penfine are the ones that my surgery starting prescribing to save money. I buy the previous brand from Asda. BD microfine ultra 4mm. Not cheap but on a weekly injection will last for ages. Just make sure your friend checks they are the right fit and don't pay VAT. Maybe ask the company to send a few freebies to try.

Reactions: kitedoc

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most people re-used those road-digging needles then, even turning the burred end back with a thumb nail. But like the disposables, which were meant to be for single use, I don't think they were meant to be used to that extent!
Now someone tells me.
I think you might be! I worshipped the new disposable - as a Type 1 friend said "It's like going into butter!"
I liked the gun probably because I used same steel needle for years. I love the disposables

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Now someone tells me.

I liked the gun probably because I used same steel needle for years. I love the disposables
Ah...Sorry to be so inefficient!

Reactions: kitedoc