Novo Nordisk Pens

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know a few people on here use one, might be worth starting a thread about them to get a range of opinions x
As you suggested, I have started a thread about the Timesulin and was pleased with the replies. However, after going on the website to purchase one, it tells me they don't yet manufacture the gadget for certain pens, mine being one of them. Will wait until someone comes up with the goods.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Do they still have children's pens?
In addition to being more colourful, they usually provide smaller doses which I found very useful.
No. This is because recently produced pens measure in half unit doses.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, the Lantus insulin cartridges won't fit into the Echo pen as that would be so helpful. My diabetic nurse has searched for a similar pen that will but neither she nor I can find such a pen.
The lantus cartridges will fit into the solastar junior pens which do half units i hve one if you want it as im on different insulin now

Reactions: Dodo

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, the Lantus insulin cartridges won't fit into the Echo pen as that would be so helpful. My diabetic nurse has searched for a similar pen that will but neither she nor I can find such a pen.
Sorry dodo just read through rest of posts and its a digitsl display one you want sorry cant help there

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry dodo just read through rest of posts and its a digitsl display one you want sorry cant help there
Thank you for your offer but the half units aren't what I need. It was the digital time reminder that interested me but I'm sure in time someone will make one before my memory goes completely. Maybe I should write that I've already had my Lantus injection on the bathroom mirror in lipstick so I know not to have a second injection.

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your offer but the half units aren't what I need. It was the digital time reminder that interested me but I'm sure in time someone will make one before my memory goes completely. Maybe I should write that I've already had my Lantus injection on the bathroom mirror in lipstick so I know not to have a second injection.
Don’t know if you reuse needles or not (I’m naughty and only change it when I change the pen/cartridge) but if you take the needle off immediately after your injection and bin it, then a pen with no needle would indicate that you’ve done your shot? Then just put a fresh one on when it’s injection time? Rather than leave the needle on until the next shot and change it, if that makes sense?

Reactions: kitedoc

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t know if you reuse needles or not (I’m naughty and only change it when I change the pen/cartridge) but if you take the needle off immediately after your injection and bin it, then a pen with no needle would indicate that you’ve done your shot? Then just put a fresh one on when it’s injection time? Rather than leave the needle on until the next shot and change it, if that makes sense?
That does make sense but I guess I'm like you and don't change my needle every time (old habits die hard when you remember the time when you had to keep re-using them over and over, and needed to boil them about once a week to sterilise them).

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
not a bad idea dodo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That does make sense but I guess I'm like you and don't change my needle every time (old habits die hard when you remember the time when you had to keep re-using them over and over, and needed to boil them about once a week to sterilise them).
When I was first diagnosed as a student in 98, they’d just made pens available, so I never did syringes. Problem was, I had to buy the needles! And at £20 for a box, I made them LAST. And last. And.... old habits die hard, and I still don’t change it as often as I should!

Or just take the needle off after the shot?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed as a student in 98, they’d just made pens available, so I never did syringes. Problem was, I had to buy the needles! And at £20 for a box, I made them LAST. And last. And.... old habits die hard, and I still don’t change it as often as I should!

Or just take the needle off after the shot?
I actually think your idea is good and was thinking about doing just that. Great minds! Obviously, I also remember when we had to buy our own needles. In fact, my pharmacist at the time complained to the BMA about it because, as she told me, if I was a drug addict I would be getting them free.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I actually think your idea is good and was thinking about doing just that. Great minds! Obviously, I also remember when we had to buy our own needles. In fact, my pharmacist at the time complained to the BMA about it because, as she told me, if I was a drug addict I would be getting them free.
I was trying to think of something similar to what I do when I ride my motorbike. I have a padlock thing on the front brake disc that can do a fair bit of damage if you ride away without taking it off - everyone does it once! So I use a little bit of plastic tube - when I lock the bike I put the tube on the shaft of the ignition key, so I can’t start the bike. Once I’ve taken the lock off, I put the tube on the key for the lock.

Jayden2407

I'll make enquiries about this and see if the Lantus cartridge will fit, as it's considerably wide than Novorapid cartridge. Does it have the digital display? Thank you for the link.

My son used to use the “juniorStar” with the Lantus cartridge, it fits fine. He’s now on the Tresiba.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son used to use the “juniorStar” with the Lantus cartridge, it fits fine. He’s now on the Tresiba.
Yes, but does it have a digital display? I think not, which is what I'm after.

Jayden2407

Yes, but does it have a digital display? I think not, which is what I'm after.

I’m honestly not sure you know. I have just looked at the novo pens on the link the @Dannymum posted and those are what he is currently using. Being totally new (5 weeks in) I haven’t even checked the ends of the pens! My son is with his dad this weekend but I’ll be sure to check when he’s home!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m honestly not sure you know. I have just looked at the novo pens on the link the @Dannymum posted and those are what he is currently using. Being totally new (5 weeks in) I haven’t even checked the ends of the pens! My son is with his dad this weekend but I’ll be sure to check when he’s home!
Thank you for your reply and I hope your son is doing ok. I already use the Novo Echo pen for my Novorapid, which is brilliant because of the digital display. What I was looking for was something similar to use for my Lantus but there isn't anything. The Juniorstar is manufactured by Sanofi and they have already informed me that they don't make pens with a digital display.

Reactions: Jayden2407

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Dodo,
Just a crazy idea. A friend of mine has a cat feeder which is a disc, rotated electronically. It can house cat feed on the disc to correspond to various times and the feed spills out at the timed sector.
A clean, unused version of this feeder could 'present' your Lantus at the 24 hour mark. No lipstick required !!

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP for once said pick a colour as you need a different colur for the other insulin

Dannymum

For an update, the DSN sent me the Novopen 5, gives the display, no half units, so less time to inject !

By the way Jayden24/7, How are you finding the Tresiba ?? I tried it & it was a disaster, went back to Levemir !!