Animas pump change to omnipod

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I am currently starting the process to change from my beloved animas pump.
Options are either OmniPod or Medtronic 640g. I used dexcom g5 and so would not be able to benefit from the low glucose suspend function from Medtronic, and so (correct me if I’m wrong) but switching to this would mean life would not be much different than when on animas.
I used to be very against getting a OmniPod but the more research I have done, the more of an attractive option it seems.
I have a few concerns however and I hope you guys can help!
* PDM- I love that bolusing can be even more discrete but I worry that it’s easier to leave this behind when going out- am I right in saying hat if this happens my basal rate would continue, but there is no way to bolus without the pdm?
*pod comfort- I am very slim and worry that this will limit available sites for the pod. I attend gym classes etc regularly and worry that eg lower back positioning of the pod will limit my ability to perform exercises in my back or even sleep lying on my pod site
*skin reactions- I have been fine with sites from animas and dexcom but had severe skin reaction to libre meaning I had to stop using this- anyone had similar experiences with pod sites?
*sun holidays/steam room/sauna- how do you cope with this.

Thanks in advance!!
Nikki

Gemitch2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I am currently starting the process to change from my beloved animas pump.
Options are either OmniPod or Medtronic 640g. I used dexcom g5 and so would not be able to benefit from the low glucose suspend function from Medtronic, and so (correct me if I’m wrong) but switching to this would mean life would not be much different than when on animas.
I used to be very against getting a OmniPod but the more research I have done, the more of an attractive option it seems.
I have a few concerns however and I hope you guys can help!
* PDM- I love that bolusing can be even more discrete but I worry that it’s easier to leave this behind when going out- am I right in saying hat if this happens my basal rate would continue, but there is no way to bolus without the pdm?
*pod comfort- I am very slim and worry that this will limit available sites for the pod. I attend gym classes etc regularly and worry that eg lower back positioning of the pod will limit my ability to perform exercises in my back or even sleep lying on my pod site
*skin reactions- I have been fine with sites from animas and dexcom but had severe skin reaction to libre meaning I had to stop using this- anyone had similar experiences with pod sites?
*sun holidays/steam room/sauna- how do you cope with this.

Thanks in advance!!
Nikki
Hi Nikki
Have you changed over to the Omnipod now?, I am also using an Animas Vibe and am looking at changing to the Omnipod.

Thanks
Graham

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I am being moved from Animas, which I am gutted about and am interested to see how you found the change to a pod? A friend moved from the vibe to Omnipod and hates it. She is fighting to get a 640g now. She finds the pods fail, being forced to change every 3rd day very restrictive, the angles insertion doesn't work for her and the dosing isn't as precise as the vibe. I'm quite worried about changing now

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As an Animas user: In Australia, Animas will be replaced by Tandem. Tandem, by taking up Dexcom CGM, have undertaken to provide the Dexcom program as a free download into the Tandem pump program. Later on Tandem hopes to incorporate the low blood sugar reduction feature into the Tandem also. Of course the Tandem is not a tubeless pump but as other have said thee are pluses and minuses to a tubeless pump.
Not sure if all the above that is helpful to you in UK.
It may be worth checking the forums to see how users rate Medtronic CGM vs Dexcom also.

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I trialled the Omnipod for 3 months a few years ago and choose to stay with a remote pump.

It worked well for me during the trial.

The down sides were:
very very noisy when it fails and you cannot turn off the noise other than smashing it with a hammer after removal.
no ability to manage via pump if you have handset issues.
preferred arms for location but needed to use stomach to get good rotation of sites.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I trialled the Omnipod for 3 months a few years ago and choose to stay with a remote pump.

It worked well for me during the trial.

The down sides were:
very very noisy when it fails and you cannot turn off the noise other than smashing it with a hammer after removal.
no ability to manage via pump if you have handset issues.
preferred arms for location but needed to use stomach to get good rotation of sites.

Chas my friend moved to Omnipod and had a set fail in the night. It was so loud it woke the whole house up and she had to smash it with a hammer. She found out later you need to use a paperclip to push into a hole on the pod that stops the alarm. Knowing me it would happen when I'd forgotten the paperclip though! She hates the Omnipod and wants to move back to a tubed pump.