Will It Take Awhile To Start Losing Weight

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i compleatly cleared my kitchen cupboards of all bad foods to try a low carb diet. Five days in & not a single pound lost. Will it take awhile for it to kick in & start losing weight? I have been really strict on low fiber with no bread, underground veg & all that has been suggested.
I must admit many things suggested are pants. The almond or coconut flour are terrible to use & the same for the same type of milks.
One good thing is my blood levels have come down.
The only thing i am enjoying at the moment is strawberries & cream, omelet & liver & bacon, & the ocatinal teaspoon of peanut butter, but i constantly feel i need some sort of sugar fix, but haven't succumbed.
Ps: the weight loss will come. Give yourself a moment!

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I had coffee and heavy cream for Breakfast
2egg omelet with small salad for lunch.
Evening meal was Steak cauliflower
Broccoli and one very small egg size potato. Small amount of greasy.
All good but one I’d eaten my evening meal I became so hungry.
Iv gone nuts.
5 segments of Chocolate orange. and a current bun with butter.
What happened Iv been in control for about 6/7 weeks. Now I could not stop eating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Iv gone nuts.
What happened Iv been in control for about 6/7 weeks. Now I could not stop eating.
I'm guessing the spud triggered some carb cravings.. and you didn't smother your green veg in butter so not enough fat in the main meal for satiety?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv gone nuts.
Those darn carbs are always waiting in the wings, just waiting to bite you on the bum.

Don't beat yourself up, tomorrow is a new day, just get back on the wagon. :)

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree. Tomorrow is an other day!
Keep at it.

I only started losing once I stop nuts, cheese and double cream. Too much fat for my needs.
Still had bacon and mayo but no chicken skin.
I just didn't burn fat in my body as well when I overloaded my system with it too. I don't think it agreed with my underactive thyroid needs.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it didn't take long for the weight loss to show up, I lost the first week.

I've been on a lower carb diet (80 carbs or less) and lower calorie diet. (1300 or less). Most days I'm under these targets, the only one I've gone over is fat 46g and I not to do that often as I want to lose weight.) I lost 3.96 lbs the first week, 4.19 lbs the second and 2.43 lbs this week. Bear in mind that I may be quite a bit heavier than you, I started at 273.59 lbs, now 263.01. (if your starting weight is higher, you lose more than someone with a much lower starting weight.) I've also heard that the weight loss is most dramatic on the first several weeks.

I'm counting both carbs & calories, I use an app called Carb Master on my Smartphone which makes it very easy to count them, you set your own goals and you can scan/custom input foods. It also counts water consumption, weight and exercise (the registered version will do blood sugar but I don't test blood.) I've starting exercising 5 days out of 6.

I hope to bring my a1c levels down as I tested at 7 in my last blood test (my other tests were normal). My doctor advised me to lose weight, eat fewer carbs, more nonstarchy vegetables and exercise. (In this part of Canada, you don't get the diagnosis with a single hb1ac test, it takes 3 tests over 1 year.) I'm hoping to avoid a diagnosis of type 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 and have been low carbing most days being doing this now for about 12 weeks

main things I cut out were no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes and have lost 10pounds. Just replaced them with veg, eg instead of chicken and potaoes, its now chicken, with large portion of veg cauliflower, peppers, mushroomsTo be honest that is it still eat normally aprt from that eg semi skimmed milk, and only do the low carbing for 5 of 7 days. At weekend i will have a takeaway with rice, and maybe a bacon roll on Sunday

Hopefully you can keep going and you will lose what you wish good luck

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I remember on lchf I lost nothing. Everyone around me was losing but once I reduced (stopped) cheese, pork stratchings and nuts I started losing nicely.
Although I was wondering if my thyroid had started behaving itself so I was losing, every week.